Newsom deploys National Guard to aid California food banks as shutdown deepens

Gavin Newsom confirmed that troops would aid food distribution, not law enforcement, and also fast-tracked $80M in aid
California Governor Gavin Newsom expedited aid and deployed troops to help food banks during the shutdown (Getty Images)
California Governor Gavin Newsom expedited aid and deployed troops to help food banks during the shutdown (Getty Images)

SACRAMENTO, CALIFORNIA: California Governor Gavin Newsom announced on Wednesday, October 22, that he is deploying the California National Guard on a humanitarian mission to support food banks struggling under the weight of the federal government shutdown.

“The California National Guard will not be acting as law enforcement,” Newsom’s office emphasized in a pointed statement, drawing a clear line between the state’s humanitarian use of troops and recent federal deployments.



Newsom mobilizes National Guard to assist struggling families

“Millions of Americans rely on food benefits to feed their families, and while Republicans in Washington drag their feet, California is stepping up once again to fill in the gaps,” Newsom said in a statement.

“I’m expediting state funds for food banks and directing the California National Guard and California Volunteers to help distribute this food to families,” he added.

The move comes as food insecurity reportedly grows across the state, with thousands facing benefit delays due to the prolonged budget standoff in Washington.

California Governor Gavin Newsom looks on before speaking at East Los Angeles College on February 26, 2025 in Monterey Park, California. Newsom announced the California Jobs First Economic Blueprint along with additional funding for Los Angeles communities impacted by wildfires today. (Photo by Mario Tama/Getty Images)
California Governor Gavin Newsom looks on before speaking at East Los Angeles College on February 26, 2025 in Monterey Park, California (Mario Tama/Getty Images)

The Governor’s Office said that the move comes as delays in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), known in California as CalFresh, begin to impact an estimated 5.5 million residents who rely on the program for daily meals.

To offset the disruption, the state will fast-track up to $80 million in emergency funding to sustain food distribution.

The National Guard has previously supported similar emergency responses, including wildfire containment, pandemic relief, and food distribution during the 2020 COVID-19 lockdowns, when troops and volunteers reportedly helped deliver more than 800 million meals statewide.

Gavin Newsom and wife Jennifer Siebel Newsom attend the 12th Annual California Hall of Fame Ceremony at The California Museum on December 4, 2018 in Sacramento, California (Getty Images)
Gavin Newsom and wife Jennifer Siebel Newsom attend the 12th Annual California Hall of Fame Ceremony at The California Museum on December 4, 2018 in Sacramento, California (Getty Images)

First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom said that the state’s action was necessary due to stalled federal assistance.

“The Trump administration and their GOP shutdown have turned their backs on working people, pulling food from the tables of families who were already struggling to get by,” Siebel said.

WASHINGTON, DC - AUGUST 25: Travelers arrive alongside patrolling National Guard soldiers at Union Station on August 25, 2025 in Washington, DC. The Trump administration has deployed federal officers and the National Guard to the District in order to place the DC Metropolitan Police Department under federal control and assist in crime prevention in the nation's capital. (Photo by Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)
Travelers arrive alongside patrolling National Guard soldiers at Union Station on August 25, 2025, in Washington, DC (Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)

Trump's National Guard deployment challenged in courts

The 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals in Pasadena is set to hear arguments regarding President Donald Trump’s deployment of National Guard troops to Los Angeles.

The president's move has drawn criticism from state officials.

Separately, a federal appeals court ruling on Monday granted the Trump administration authority to send National Guard troops into Oregon, temporarily reversing a lower court order that had blocked the deployment.

U.S. President Donald Trump walks out of the White House before departing July 19, 2019 in Washington, DC. Trump is traveling to New Jersey to host a fundraising dinner and spend the weekend at his Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster. (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump walks out of the White House before departing July 19, 2019 in Washington, DC (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

“After considering the record at this preliminary stage, we conclude that it is likely that the President lawfully exercised his statutory authority,” the three-judge panel of the 9th Circuit wrote in a 2-1 decision.

Justice Department attorneys argued that the lower court’s earlier ruling by US District Judge Karin J Immergut “improperly impinges on the Commander in Chief’s supervision of military operations, countermands a military directive to officers in the field, and endangers federal personnel and property.”

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Joey Jones also questioned what older veterans might think when hearing younger service members complain about ordinary hardships while deployed
2 hours ago
The controversy began after a sailor's relative alleged that crew lacked care packages and female sailors ran short of hygiene products
4 hours ago
Trump continued joking about the impromptu audition, telling Alexis that he had always liked her
5 hours ago
Journalists who remained aboard Air Force One had objected to the way the operation was handled
6 hours ago
Major Crimes and Crime Scene divisions led the investigation as police sought a motive and suspects, with no arrests announced
8 hours ago
Camron Harris, 19, faces eight felony warrants, including malicious wounding and firearm charges, and is being held without bond
19 hours ago
The USS Abraham Lincoln has faced scrutiny over its prolonged deployment, with sailors and families raising concerns about conditions aboard the carrier
19 hours ago
The fundraiser was launched by Wisconsin resident Brandee Mulligan to help the couple cover personal expenses, including travel and accommodation
20 hours ago
A 13-year-old girl identified as 'Bella' survived four gunshot wounds and called 911 after witnessing Chad Hickman kill her mother and brother
22 hours ago
'Throwing jabs on X does nothing for Americans. In the meantime, get a learing hoodie it looks good on you', Nick Shirley wrote to Thomas Massie
1 day ago