Pediatrics group challenges HHS in court after loss of federal health funding

The American Academy of Pediatrics sued HHS over $12 million grant cuts, saying they threatened infant safety and rural child health programs
Robert F Kennedy Jr's clashes with the American Academy of Pediatrics allegedly intensified after the group issued its own vaccine guidance (Getty Images)
Robert F Kennedy Jr's clashes with the American Academy of Pediatrics allegedly intensified after the group issued its own vaccine guidance (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) on Wednesday, December 24, filed a federal lawsuit against the Department of Health and Human Services, alleging that the agency improperly terminated nearly $12 million in grant funding.

The lawsuit claimed that the grants were ended abruptly and argued that the decision was tied to the organization’s public disagreements with the Trump administration over vaccines and gender-affirming care.

The case was filed in the US District Court for the District of Columbia and sought to restore the funding while the legal challenge proceeded.

Lawsuit claims funding cuts were retaliatory



In its complaint, the American Academy of Pediatrics argued that the funding cuts were not driven by budgetary considerations and were instead retaliatory.

Skye Perryman, president and CEO of Democracy Forward, the legal organization representing the AAP, said that the administration’s actions violated constitutional protections.

"The Department of Health and Human Services is using federal funding as a political weapon to punish protected speech," Perryman said in a statement.

She added that the lawsuit wants to prevent what she described as efforts to silence organizations that disagree with the federal health policy.

Lifesaving programs for infants and teens reportedly at risk

WASHINGTON, DC - SEPTEMBER 04: Health and Human Services Secretary Robert Kennedy Jr. arrives to testify before the Senate Finance Committee at the Dirksen Senate Office Building on September 04, 2025 in Washington, DC. The committee met to hear testimony on President Trump's 2026 health care agenda. (Photo by Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
Health and Human Services Secretary Robert Kennedy Jr arrives to testify before the Senate Finance Committee at the Dirksen Senate Office Building on September 04, 2025, in Washington, DC (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)

According to the lawsuit, the terminated grants supported public health programs focused on infant safety, pediatric care access, and adolescent health services.

The AAP said that the funding helped prevent sudden unexpected infant death, expanded pediatric services in rural communities, and provided assistance to teens facing substance use and mental health challenges.

The organization said that it did not have alternative funding sources to replace the federal grants.

The complaint stated that without the funding, the AAP would be forced to end multiple programs and reduce staff.

Clash over vaccines and gender-affirming care 

Robert F Kennedy, Jr claimed he only needed 33% of the votes to win the White House (@RaymondArroyo/X)
Health Secretary Robert F Kennedy Jr has clashed repeatedly with the AAP over his controversial stance on vaccines and medical freedom (Getty Images)

The lawsuit highlighted the ongoing disagreements between the AAP and Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F Kennedy Jr.

The academy had publicly opposed several HHS positions, including the administration’s guidance on Covid-19 vaccines.

Earlier this year, the AAP issued its own vaccine recommendations, which differed from those released by federal health agencies.

The group had also criticized the administration’s approach to gender-affirming care, arguing that it interfered with the doctor-patient relationship.

CEO of  AAP says they were 'forced to take legal action'

DORCHESTER - APRIL 05:  Dominique Entzminger, a physician assistant of family medicine, wears a stet
The 67,000-member doctors' group says it will be forced to lay off staff dedicated to critical child health work within weeks (Getty Images)

Mark Del Monte, CEO of the American Academy of Pediatrics, said that the organization pursued legal action after efforts to resolve the dispute were unsuccessful.

"We are forced to take legal action today so that these programs can continue to make communities safer and healthier," Del Monte said in a statement.

He said that the organization remained committed to its public health mission despite the legal dispute.

An HHS spokesperson was not immediately available to comment on the lawsuit.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Heidi Overton has helped shape Trump’s health policies and faced criticism from MAHA advocates over several administration initiatives
3 hours ago
The UN-authorized Omani route is opposed by Iran, but vessels increasingly use it despite risks, relying on US naval forces for protection
5 hours ago
David Morens admitted to using a personal email account to conduct government business and circumvent federal public-records laws
6 hours ago
The USS Benfold lost power in the South China Sea, disrupting water, food, air conditioning and toilets before it was towed to the Philippines
7 hours ago
Haley Van Erem alleges some university investigations lacked evidence of Title VI violations and were steered toward settlements
9 hours ago
Trump acknowledged that no peace talks are underway with Tehran as the 60-day deadline for reaching a permanent ceasefire expired
14 hours ago
A Democratic senator’s jab at Trump’s close aide sparked a fierce White House response as fresh scrutiny surrounds Harp’s unusually prominent role
15 hours ago
Last month, Rubio escalated the administration’s fight against the ICC, calling it a State Department-led campaign to dismantle the court
15 hours ago
Sean Spicer says Trump’s next press secretary will likely need his trust, understand his communication style and already have a close relationship with him
16 hours ago
Judge Brian E Murphy rejected a bid to delay ending TPS for about 5,000 Ethiopians as their legal challenge continues
16 hours ago