Pope Leo appears to take aim at Trump while calling out ‘fake news’

Pope Leo's social media post about 'fake news' came after he urged world leaders to reject war and choose peace during his first Easter Mass
While Pope Leo didn't mention Donald Trump in his Monday, April 6, X post, he has previously criticized the president over his actions against Iran (AP Photo/Andrew Medichini, Mark Schiefelbein)
While Pope Leo didn't mention Donald Trump in his Monday, April 6, X post, he has previously criticized the president over his actions against Iran (AP Photo/Andrew Medichini, Mark Schiefelbein)

VATICAN CITY: Pope Leo XIV blasted “fake news” on social media while seemingly taking a jat at President Donald Trump.

The religious leader’s social media post came after he urged world leaders for peace in his Easter message.



Pope Leo says truth illuminates 'even the deepest darkness'

Pope Leo XIV presides over Palm Sunday Mass at St. Peter's Square on March 29, 2026 in Vatican City, Vatican. At the beginning of Holy Week, we are closer than ever in prayer to the Christians of the Middle East, who suffer the consequences of a terrible conflict and in many cases cannot fully live the rites of these holy days,
Pope Leo XIV presides over Palm Sunday Mass at St. Peter's Square on March 29, 2026, in Vatican City, Vatican (Gregor Galazka via Vatican Pool/Getty Images)

Taking to X (formerly Twitter), the pope shared with his millions of followers on Monday, April 6, “Often, the proclamation of truth is obscured by what we today call ‘fake news’ — lies, insinuations, and unfounded accusations.” 

“Yet, in the face of such obstacles, the truth does not remain hidden; rather, it comes forth to meet us, living and radiant, illuminating even the deepest darkness,” he added. Pope Leo's comment appeared to take aim at Trump since the POTUS has repeatedly tagged several mainstream media outlets as "fake news" to avoid negative coverage about himself or his administration.

Just a day earlier, the Head of the Catholic Church demanded peace over war during his first Easter Mass.

Pope Leo focuses on achieving peace through dialogue

Pope Leo XIV leads the Easter Vigil inside St. Peter's Basilica at The Vatican, Saturday, April 4, 2026. (AP Photo/Andrew Medichini)
Pope Leo XIV leads the Easter Vigil inside St. Peter's Basilica at the Vatican on Saturday, April 4, 2026 (AP Photo/Andrew Medichini)

The pope said on Sunday, “Let us allow our hearts to be transformed by his immense love for us! Let those who have weapons lay them down! Let those who have the power to unleash wars choose peace!”

“Not a peace imposed by force, but through dialogue! Not with the desire to dominate others, but to encounter them!” he added.

Pope Leo did not directly mention the ongoing US-Iran war or the conflict between Russia and Ukraine. But he added, “We are growing accustomed to violence, resigning ourselves to it, and becoming indifferent—indifferent to the deaths of thousands of people.”

Pope Francis demanded peace over war before his death

The current pope’s predecessor, Pope Francis, also urged peace in his 2025 Easter message.

Pope Francis arrives in St Peter's Square to greet the faithful at the end of the Palm Sunday Mass, on April 13, 2025, in Vatican City, Vatican (Antonio Masiello/Getty Images)
Pope Francis arrives in St Peter's Square to greet the faithful at the end of the Palm Sunday Mass, on April 13, 2025, in Vatican City, Vatican (Antonio Masiello/Getty Images)

He had said, “There can be no peace without freedom of religion, freedom of thought, freedom of expression and respect for the views of others. What a great thirst for death, for killing we see in the many conflicts raging in different parts of the world.”

Trump threatens to destroy Iran

President Donald Trump speaks with reporters in the James Brady Press Briefing Room at the White House, Monday, April 6, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)
President Donald Trump speaks with reporters in the James Brady Press Briefing Room at the White House on Monday, April 6, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)

The pope’s online post came as Trump threatened Iran with dire consequences over the weekend. Washington and Tehran have been engaged in the war for over a month now, and despite Trump saying it will end soon following a negotiation, there's no official confirmation from either of the side.

In a Truth Social post on Saturday, the commander-in-chief wrote, “Remember when I gave Iran ten days to MAKE A DEAL or OPEN UP THE HORMUZ STRAIT. Time is running out - 48 hours before all Hell will reign down on them. Glory be to GOD!”



His Sunday post was more intense as Trump added, “Tuesday will be Power Plant Day, and Bridge Day, all wrapped up in one, in Iran. There will be nothing like it!!! Open the F***** Strait, you crazy bastards, or you’ll be living in Hell – JUST WATCH! Praise be to Allah.”

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

On May 14, CIA Director John Ratcliffe visited Havana with President Donald Trump's message linking US engagement to reforms in Cuba
1 day ago
State-linked Iranian media claimed Washington offered a counterproposal easing some oil sanctions during negotiations
1 day ago
Iranian President Masoud President Pezeshkian acknowledged losses from US strikes on Iran and urged officials to avoid rhetoric that fuels division
1 day ago
Tehran says it is coordinating with Muscat to ensure safe passage through the Strait of Hormuz
2 days ago
Iran’s truce proposal called for ending regional conflicts and lifting all economic and maritime restrictions imposed during the war
2 days ago
Report says Trump to speak with Netanyahu as he grows frustrated with Iran’s peace terms
2 days ago
Grafstrom says Istanbul talks focused on ensuring Iran’s smooth World Cup participation
2 days ago
Alex Saab, once powerful under Nicolas Maduro, lost his government roles and influence after Maduro was removed from power
3 days ago
Pope reportedly concerned about AI-generated misinformation and erosion of trust in truth
3 days ago
Beijing agreed to cut import levies and extend approvals for US meat facilities after a 65% drop in bilateral farm trade
3 days ago