Slain Guardswoman Sarah Beckstrom volunteered to work Thanksgiving shift so squadmates could be home

West Virginia National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, 20, was stationed near the Farragut West Metro Station in DC when the attack occurred
UPDATED NOV 28, 2025
Sarah Beckstrom was one of the two National Guard members shot in the DC attack (@EricLDaugh/X)
Sarah Beckstrom was one of the two National Guard members shot in the DC attack (@EricLDaugh/X)

WASHINGTON, DC: A selfless gesture meant to give her fellow soldiers a chance to celebrate Thanksgiving with their families turned into a tragedy for 20-year-old National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who has now died after a violent ambush near the White House. The attack unfolded on Wednesday, September 17, just one day before Thanksgiving, and investigators are now probing the shooting as a possible terrorist strike.

Attorney General Pam Bondi revealed the heartbreaking detail that Beckstrom had volunteered for the Thanksgiving shift, ensuring that others in her squad could be home with their loved ones. “She volunteered to be there on Thanksgiving, working today - she volunteers, as did many of those guardsmen and women so other people could be home with their families,” Bondi said on Fox News.

Sarah Beckstrom's selfless choice placed her in the line of fire

Sarah Beckstrom, a young West Virginia National Guard member who had been deployed to Washington as part of federal public safety operations, was stationed near the Farragut West Metro Station when the attack occurred. Officials say she sustained devastating gunshot wounds to the head and chest in what investigators describe as a “calculated ambush.”

(@garybeckstrom/Facebook)
National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom succumbed to her injuries on Thursday, November 27 (@garybeckstrom/Facebook)

A second National Guard member, identified as 24-year-old Andrew Wolfe, was also critically wounded and remains in the hospital undergoing treatment.

Wolfe remains in critical condition after attack near Farragut West Metro Station.(Screengrab/@Bubblebathgirl/X)
Andrew Wolfe is 'fighting for his life,' Donald Trump said (Screengrab/@Bubblebathgirl/X)

Authorities confirmed that Beckstrom succumbed to her injuries on Thursday, just hours after undergoing emergency surgery.

Suspect identified as Afghan refugee Rahmanullah Lakanwal

The alleged gunman, 29-year-old Rahmanullah Lakanwal, an Afghan refugee who arrived in the US under "Operation Allies Welcome," reportedly lay in wait before opening fire on the two guardsmen “without provocation.”

Rahmanullah Lakanwal struggled for years with the violence he committed as part of a CIA-backed “Zero Unit” force in his home country(DHS/Twitter)
Rahmanullah Lakanwal struggled for years with the violence he committed as part of a CIA-backed “Zero Unit” force in his home country(DHS/X)

According to officials, Lakanwal was armed with a .357 Smith & Wesson revolver and allegedly carried out the ambush in a manner that suggests advance planning. He was shot by other guard members who returned fire and subdued him at the scene.

The suspect remains under guard at a hospital and faces multiple federal charges.

Investigators moving at ‘lightspeed’ as motive remains unclear

While authorities have not yet confirmed a motive, the attack’s brazenness has rattled DC, with Pam Bondi stating that law enforcement teams are moving at “lightspeed” to uncover whether Rahmanullah Lakanwal acted alone or as part of a coordinated plot.

ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA - JULY 15: U.S. Attorney General Pam Bondi speaks during a news conference at the DEA headquarters on July 15, 2025 in Arlington, Virginia. The Department of Justice and the Drug Enforcement Administration held a news conference to announce that 71 kilograms of fentanyl and 20 kilograms of methamphetamine were seized in South Carolina as part of the “Operation Take Back America” initiative. (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)
Attorney General Pam Bondi speaks during a news conference at the DEA headquarters on July 15, 2025, in Arlington, Virginia (Getty Images)

Officials also said the attack is being treated as a potential act of terrorism given its proximity to federal buildings and the deliberate nature of the assault.

Nation mourns Sarah Beckstrom

President Donald Trump announced Sarah Beckstrom’s death while on a Thanksgiving call with military service members. "She's just passed away. She's no longer with us," he said, hailing the 20-year-old as a "highly respected, young, magnificent person."



Beckstrom's selfless act of volunteering to work on Thanksgiving Eve has struck a chord across the nation.

Paying tribute on X (formerly Twitter), US Attorney for DC Jeanine Pirro wrote, "Our hearts and prayers go out to the family of 20-year-old Sarah Beckstrom of the National Guard — a hero who volunteered to serve DC on Thanksgiving for people she never met and gave the ultimate sacrifice. May she rest in peace. It is now time to avenge her death and secure justice."


Our hearts and prayers go out to the family of 20-year-old Sarah Beckstrom of the National Guard — a hero who volunteered to serve DC on Thanksgiving for people she never met and gave the ultimate sacrifice. May she rest in peace. It is now time to avenge her death and secure… pic.twitter.com/g6e0PhhD7Z

— Jeanine Pirro (@JudgeJeanine) November 27, 2025

Veteran actor James Woods wrote, "A hero has been taken from us. Army Specialist Sarah Beckstrom personified everything one could pray for in a daughter, a soldier, and an American citizen. She offered to give her fellow Guardsmen relief to enjoy Thanksgiving. Her generosity cost her life. Heartbreaking. RIP."


A hero has been taken from us. Army Specialist Sarah Beckstrom personified everything one could pray for in a daughter, a soldier, and an American citizen. She offered to give her fellow Guardsmen relief to enjoy Thanksgiving. Her generosity cost her life. Heartbreaking. :broken_heart: RIP. pic.twitter.com/YmDdLUCo4u

— James Woods (@RealJamesWoods) November 28, 2025

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump praises Team USA after first men's hockey gold in forty-six years historic win big
1 hour ago
Authorities said the 21-year-old entered a restricted zone near the north gate carrying what appeared to be a shotgun before officers opened fire
1 hour ago
'He jokes now about nationalizing the elections. He’s not joking. We’ve seen enough already,' Robert De Niro said about Donald Trump’s intentions
11 hours ago
Conversations paused as diners watched the brief rendition, which ended with applause and quickly became a highlight of the evening
12 hours ago
Melania Trump's 2026 ensemble differed from her 2025 look, when she chose a black tuxedo styled with pieces from Ralph Lauren and Dolce & Gabbana
13 hours ago
JD Vance described his wife Usha as someone who 'just wants to give her kids a good life and wants to be as good of a public servant as possible'
14 hours ago
The 'Shark Tank' investor says firms are scrambling after court blocks Donald Trump tariffs
1 day ago
Israel denied the claims, saying Tucker Carlson was 'politely asked routine questions' per standard procedures for travelers
1 day ago
Mark Ruffalo said President Donald Trump cannot act alone on war and backed Representative Ro Khanna’s War Powers vote
1 day ago
Editor Mark Guiducci reportedly barred press and social media from the Vanity Fair Oscar party amid tighter guest restrictions
1 day ago