Stephen Colbert’s James Talarico interview hits 3M YouTube views surpassing Bad Bunny segment
NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK: Stephen Colbert's shelved interview with Texas State Rep James Talarico has turned into a viral hit, racking up 3 million YouTube views within just 18 hours after CBS declined to air the segment on ‘The Late Show’.
The unexpected surge came after Colbert publicly revealed the network’s concerns tied to the FCC’s equal-time rule.
The late-night host told viewers during Monday’s broadcast that CBS lawyers warned him the interview could not run on television. Rather than quietly dropping the segment, Colbert uploaded the full conversation directly to the show’s YouTube channel, and the move quickly paid off.
This is the interview Donald Trump didn’t want you to see.
— James Talarico (@jamestalarico) February 17, 2026
His FCC refused to air my interview with Stephen Colbert.
Trump is worried we’re about to flip Texas. pic.twitter.com/BCev5jZbKc
Equal-time concerns spark on-air explanation
Colbert explained that the decision stemmed from FCC Chair Brendan Carr’s enforcement posture on the equal-time rule, which governs broadcast fairness during political coverage.
According to the host, he was informed not only that the interview couldn’t air but also that he shouldn’t explain the reason to viewers.
Instead, Colbert chose to address the issue head-on during the show, telling his audience why the Talarico appearance was missing and directing them online to watch the full segment.
CBS responded Tuesday, pushing back on Colbert’s characterization. The network said the late-night show had only been given guidance on how to air the interview within FCC guidelines - not an outright prohibition.
Still, the public disagreement appeared to supercharge interest in the online release.
YouTube numbers outpace Bad Bunny and Michelle Obama
Within hours of posting, Talarico’s sit-down began outperforming some of the show’s biggest recent interviews.
The Texas Democrat’s appearance crossed 3 million views in just 18 hours. By comparison, Bad Bunny’s pre-Super Bowl segment, where the Grammy-winning artist took “The Colbert Questionert”, reached 1.1 million views in the two weeks after posting.
Michelle Obama’s November interview has drawn 1.9 million views so far, while Jane Fonda’s widely discussed comments about America’s “slide into authoritarianism” passed one million views after three weeks.
The spike underscores how controversy around broadcast restrictions can quickly drive digital audiences.
James Talarico takes aim at Trump and media climate
During the interview, Talarico - who is running for a Senate seat ahead of the 2026 midterms, framed the political moment in stark terms.
“I think that Donald Trump is worried that we’re about to flip Texas,” he told Colbert.
The Texas lawmaker also criticized what he described as growing media pressure, saying, “This is the party that ran against cancel culture, and now they are trying to control what we watch, what we say, what we read, and this is the most dangerous kind of cancel culture. The kind that comes from the top.”
He added another pointed line: “Corporate media executives are selling out the First Amendment to curry favor with corrupt politicians.”
FCC debate adds fuel to late-night controversy
The episode unfolded against a broader policy discussion. Colbert noted the network’s concern about staying within equal-time guidelines - rules that late-night shows have historically been exempt from.
Earlier this year, FCC Chairman Brendan Carr said in a letter that he was considering whether to drop that exception, arguing that some talk shows may be motivated by partisan purposes.
That backdrop has turned what might have been a routine political interview into a flashpoint moment for late-night television.