Steve Kroft says Trump 'finally got his wish' as CBS reshapes '60 Minutes'

Former ‘60 Minutes’ correspondent said he never expected the program to reach its current state
Steve Kroft connected the recent turmoil at ‘60 Minutes’ to Trump’s yearslong disputes with the program (Getty Images)
Steve Kroft connected the recent turmoil at ‘60 Minutes’ to Trump’s yearslong disputes with the program (Getty Images)


WASHINGTON, DC: Former ‘60 Minutes’ correspondent Steve Kroft said President Donald Trump “finally got his wish” as CBS reshaped the flagship news program following years of public clashes, lawsuits, and internal editorial disputes.

Kroft, who retired from ‘60 Minutes’ in 2019 after three decades with the show, told 'Status' in an interview that he never expected the program to reach its current state. “But I never expected it would be executed by the president of the United States,” he said.

Steve Kroft links Trump to shakeup

Kroft connected the recent turmoil at ‘60 Minutes’ to Trump’s yearslong disputes with the program as leadership changed at CBS News and parent company Paramount Global.

“There is no smoking gun,” Kroft said. “But [Trump’s] fingerprints and DNA are all over this. He’s been making threats against ‘60 Minutes’ and how he wanted it gone. And he finally got his wish.”

U.S. President Donald Trump listens during a Cabinet meeting at the White House on February 26, 2025 in Washington, DC. Trump is holding the first Cabinet meeting of his second term, joined by Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk, head of the Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE). (Photo by Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)President Donald Trump listens during a Cabinet meeting at the White House on February 26, 2025, in Washington, DC (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)

His remarks came days after CBS News Editor-in-Chief Bari Weiss announced major changes at the network. ‘60 Minutes’ executive producer Tanya Simon was replaced by tech journalist Nick Bilton, while executive producer Draggan Mihailovich and correspondents Cecilia Vega and Sharyn Alfonsi also exited the program.

CBS brought Weiss into the newsroom last October despite her lack of broadcast experience. Paramount later acquired her media outlet, The Free Press, in a reported $150 million deal.

The moves fueled debate inside and outside CBS over the network’s editorial direction, especially after several high-profile disputes tied to Trump coverage.

Paramount settlement drew scrutiny

Questions around the network intensified after Paramount agreed to pay Trump $16 million last year to settle his lawsuit over a ‘60 Minutes’ interview with former Vice President Kamala Harris.

Trump alleged CBS deceptively edited the interview to benefit Harris ahead of the 2024 election. Paramount settled the case without apologizing or admitting wrongdoing and said the money would go toward Trump’s future presidential library.

A spokesperson for Trump’s legal team called the settlement a “win for the American people” over the “fake news media”.

“CBS and Paramount Global realised the strength of this historic case and had no choice but to settle,” the spokesperson said. “President Trump will always ensure that no one gets away with lying to the American people.”

CBS had earlier called the lawsuit “completely without merit” and maintained the interview was “not doctored or deceitful”.

Several CBS News executives, including chief executive Wendy McMahon, had reportedly left over disagreements tied to the handling of Trump’s lawsuit.

Editorial fights inside CBS

The tensions continued inside the newsroom. In December, Weiss pulled a ‘60 Minutes’ segment about a prison in El Salvador where the Trump administration had been sending Venezuelan migrants just hours before it was scheduled to air. Alfonsi, who reported the piece, argued the decision was “political” and not “editorial.”

Weiss was also reportedly angered by Anderson Cooper’s farewell remarks to ‘60 Minutes’ after the longtime correspondent defended the program’s “independence” on air.

Bari Weiss, the Editor-in-Chief for CBS addresses axing '60 Minutes' segment (Getty Images)
Bari Weiss, the Editor-in-Chief for CBS, addresses axing '60 Minutes' segment (Getty Images)

Trump’s public clashes with the show have continued as well. During a recent interview with correspondent Norah O’Donnell, Trump erupted after she read part of an alleged gunman’s manifesto aloud.

“You’re horrible people,” Trump told her. “You’re a disgrace.”

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Bill Maher said America should return to 'stealing hard-working, talented immigrants from around the world and making them Americans'
6 days ago
Joe Rogan blasted the plan, calling the $100,000 monthly price tag 'crazy' and suggesting it was essentially a cash grab
7 days ago
Joe Rogan joked about how the press might have reacted and imagined how Trump could respond if the aircraft had been attacked
Aug 13, 2026
Tucker Carlson previously accused Hunter and Joe Biden of corruption and criticized Hunter's overseas business dealings
Aug 10, 2026
Bill Maher criticized Wisconsin Democrat Francesca Hong over remarks about her biracial son and her 'proximity to whiteness'
Aug 9, 2026
Megyn Kelly took particular issue with Whoopi Goldberg appearing to suggest that she understood the 'plight of working people'
Aug 7, 2026
Madeleine Carlisle exited amid major staff upheaval, as key correspondents and editors departed in cuts staff reportedly dubbed 'Black Thursday'
Aug 5, 2026
While the internet was busy searching for a political message, Torres appears to have been thinking about something considerably less complicated
Aug 4, 2026
The claim gained traction as New York City continues to debate expanding publicly-supported grocery initiatives under Mamdani
Aug 1, 2026
The Trump ally said JD Vance's ceasefire deal trapped the administration in a cycle of talks, Iranian violations ,and US retaliatory strikes
Jul 31, 2026