Ted Cruz warns Trump against potential Iran deal, says outcome could be ‘disastrous mistake’

Ted Cruz warned that a deal allowing Tehran access to funds or nuclear development could strengthen a hostile regime
Senator Ted Cruz said he was 'deeply concerned' about a potential peace deal with Iran and urged President Donald Trump to 'hold the line' (Getty Images)
Senator Ted Cruz said he was 'deeply concerned' about a potential peace deal with Iran and urged President Donald Trump to 'hold the line' (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: Senator Ted Cruz publicly warned President Donald Trump against moving forward with a proposed agreement involving Iran, saying he fears the deal could end up strengthening the same regime the United States recently moved aggressively against.

On Saturday, May 23, Cruz shared a lengthy statement expressing concern over reports that members inside the administration were pushing for an Iran agreement as negotiations reportedly moved closer to completion. 



Ted Cruz says Iran deal could undo Trump’s military success

Cruz described Trump’s earlier military decision to strike Iran as “the most consequential decision of his second term,” while praising the operation as a major success for the United States.

“President Trump’s decision to strike Iran was the most consequential decision of his second term. He was right to do so, and we achieved extraordinary military results,” Cruz wrote.

The Texas senator claimed the US had destroyed Iran’s missiles and drones while also sinking its navy during the confrontation.

WASHINGTON, DC - DECEMBER 17: Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) arrives to a hearing in the U.S. Capitol on December 17, 2025 in Washington, DC. The Federal Aviation Administration hearing with the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation, Subcommittee on Aviation, Space, and Innovation focused on evaluating progress, ensuring accountability and results. (Photo by Heather Diehl/Getty Images)
Sen Ted Cruz (R-TX) arrives at a hearing in the US Capitol on December 17, 2025, in Washington, DC (Photo by Heather Diehl/Getty Images)

He then warned that any agreement allowing Tehran to regain financial strength or nuclear capabilities would completely undermine those gains.

“If the result of all that is to be an Iranian regime — still run by Islamists who chant ‘death to America’ — now receiving billions of dollars, being able to enrich uranium & develop nuclear weapons, and having effective control over the Strait of Hormuz, then that outcome would be a disastrous mistake,” Cruz said.

The senator added that he hoped early reports about the proposed arrangement were inaccurate.

“The details are still coming out — and I pray the early reports are wrong — but the fact that Biden’s Rob Malley is praising the deal is not encouraging,” he added.

Donald Trump says broader Iran agreement is ‘largely negotiated’

Cruz’s warning followed Trump’s own announcement earlier in the day about the status of negotiations.

In a Truth Social post shared Saturday, Trump claimed an agreement had already been “largely negotiated” between the United States, Iran and several regional allies.

According to the president, discussions were still underway regarding final details, but negotiators had made major progress.

President Donald Trump speaks at Rockland Community College, Friday, May 22, 2026, in Suffern, N.Y. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
President Donald Trump speaks at Rockland Community College, Friday, May 22, 2026, in Suffern, NY (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

“An agreement has been largely negotiated, subject to finalization between the United States of America, the Islamic Republic of Iran, and the various other Countries,” Trump wrote.

Trump also said the proposed arrangement would reopen the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most critical oil shipping routes. He revealed he had spoken with leaders from Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Egypt, Jordan, Bahrain, Pakistan and Turkey as part of the ongoing diplomatic effort.

The president further stated that he spoke with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and said the conversation “went very well.”

Marco Rubio repeats administration’s red lines on Iran

Even as negotiations reportedly moved forward, members of the administration continued publicly stressing their conditions for any agreement.

Secretary of State Marco Rubio, while speaking during a visit to India, said the United States remained firm on preventing Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks alongside with Hungary's Prime Minister Viktor Orban (Not pictured) during a joint press conference on February 16, 2026, in Budapes, Hungary. (Photo by Janos Kummer/Getty Images)
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks alongside with Hungary's Prime Minister Viktor Orban (Not pictured) during a joint press conference on February 16, 2026, in Budapes, Hungary (Photo by Janos Kummer/Getty Images)

“Iran can never have a nuclear weapon. The straits need to be open without tolls. They need to turn over their enriched uranium,” Rubio said.

Trump, meanwhile, continued presenting the possible agreement as part of his “peace through strength” approach to foreign policy.

Cruz stressed part of that message in his statement, saying Trump had already made America “much safer” through strong leadership.

“President Trump believes in peace through strength, and his strong leadership has already made America much safer,” Cruz wrote. “He should continue to hold the line, defend America & enforce the red lines he has repeatedly drawn.”

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump described the suspect as someone with a 'violent history' and an 'obsession' with the White House
19 minutes ago
Mike Johnson expressed optimism about the development, calling it a sign of strong leadership and saying the US is now more secure under Trump
33 minutes ago
The fund was unveiled last week after President Trump announced he would withdraw his $10 billion lawsuit against the IRS
55 minutes ago
Former Kamala Harris aides reportedly dismissed a 2028 run, with one adviser calling it 'obviously a bad idea'
1 hour ago
Robert Gevertzman, who died in March 2025 at 75, landed the Democratic ticket for next month’s primaries
1 hour ago
RFK Jr called the move 'sinister', questioning why the agency had not fully released the records despite a 1992 law mandating their disclosure by 2025
2 hours ago
White House shooting drew bipartisan condemnation as officials praised Secret Service response
2 hours ago
Lindsey Graham warned an Iran deal could make Tehran appear stronger if it still threatens Gulf oil infrastructure
3 hours ago
The proposed framework could start fresh negotiations over Iran’s nuclear program
4 hours ago
Don Jr to wed Bettina Anderson in Bahamas ceremony as Trump confirms he will skip the event
10 hours ago