Trump says peace deal with Iran ‘largely negotiated’, Strait of Hormuz to reopen

The proposed framework could start fresh negotiations over Iran’s nuclear program
Trump said a 'memorandum of understanding' with Iran and regional partners is close to finalization (Getty Images/ AP Images)
Trump said a 'memorandum of understanding' with Iran and regional partners is close to finalization (Getty Images/ AP Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump on Saturday, May 23, said that the United States and Iran were close to finalizing a broader agreement aimed at ending the months-long conflict that began earlier this year, adding that the Strait of Hormuz would reopen as part of the arrangement.

In a post on Truth Social, Trump described the agreement as “largely negotiated” following discussions involving Iran and several regional countries. The president said final details were still being discussed but suggested negotiators had made significant progress toward a framework agreement. 

Trump says regional talks made major progress

Trump said the potential agreement followed conversations with leaders from Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Egypt, Jordan, Bahrain, Pakistan and Turkey. 

“An Agreement has been largely negotiated, subject to finalization between the United States of America, the Islamic Republic of Iran, and the various other Countries,” Trump wrote. He added that “final aspects and details of the Deal are currently being discussed” and said the Strait of Hormuz would reopen under the proposed arrangement.



The president also added that he spoke to the Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu stating that the conversation "went very well." A regional diplomat described the talks as “very positive,” saying Gulf leaders were supportive of the progress made during the negotiations.



Secretary of State Marco Rubio, speaking during a visit to India, reiterated that the United States continued to insist Iran could not possess nuclear weapons. “Iran can never have a nuclear weapon. The straits need to be open without tolls. They need to turn over their enriched uranium,” Rubio said.

Iran officials acknowledge progress but caution details unresolved

Iranian officials publicly signaled cautious optimism while emphasizing that negotiations were still ongoing. Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baqaei said the “trend this week has been towards a reduction in disputes,” though he noted that several issues still needed to be addressed through mediators.

A regional official familiar with Pakistan-led mediation efforts said that the proposed framework would formally declare an end to the war and establish a 60-day negotiation period over Iran’s nuclear program. The official also said the arrangement could include reopening the Strait of Hormuz and ending the US blockade of Iranian ports.

In this photo, released by the Pakistan Ministry of Foreign Affairs, from left, Saudi Arabia's Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan Al-Saud, Pakistan's Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar, Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty attend a meeting to discuss Middle East war, in Islamabad, Pakistan, Sunday, March 29, 2026. (Pakistan Ministry of Foreign Affairs via AP)
Saudi Arabia's Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan Al-Saud, Pakistan's Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar, Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty attend a meeting to discuss Middle East war, in Islamabad, Pakistan, Sunday, March 29, 2026 (Pakistan Ministry of Foreign Affairs via AP)

Iranian media, however, pushed back on suggestions that an agreement had already been finalized. Fars News Agency, which is close to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, reported that the Strait of Hormuz would remain under Iranian control and described claims of a near-final agreement as “inconsistent with reality.”



Iran’s negotiators have also reportedly sought the release of frozen Iranian assets and guarantees related to ending hostilities before entering a broader nuclear agreement. While the exact terms remain unclear, both US and Iranian officials indicated discussions are expected to continue over the coming days.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Lindsey Graham warned an Iran deal could make Tehran appear stronger if it still threatens Gulf oil infrastructure
23 minutes ago
Don Jr to wed Bettina Anderson in Bahamas ceremony as Trump confirms he will skip the event
6 hours ago
In her resignation letter, Tulsi Gabbard highlighted efforts to reform intelligence agencies and boost transparency during her tenure
6 hours ago
California Rep turns social media broadside into mockery over Trump skipping son’s wedding
8 hours ago
Pete Hegseth urged cadets to rapidly adapt to evolving warfare technologies including drones, artificial intelligence and advanced air defense systems
9 hours ago
Trump says Iran situation improving, declines details, ‘every day it gets better and better’
10 hours ago
'Think one of two things will happen: either I hit them harder than they have ever been hit, or we are going to sign a deal that is good', Trump said
10 hours ago
Mace says she would extend proposed restrictions to current lawmakers if legally possible
10 hours ago
After taking office, President Trump pardoned, commuted, or vowed to drop charges against all Capitol riot defendants
10 hours ago
Lutnick faces corruption claims after major GOP PAC donation ahead of Capitol briefing
11 hours ago