Tehran’s naval forces ‘shattered’ after US strikes hit 8,000 targets, officials claim

CENTCOM says Iran’s grip on Strait of Hormuz degraded after the largest naval losses since WWII
CENTCOM reported the Iranian Navy’s worst defeat since 1945, saying the IRGC can no longer monitor or strike vessels in the strait (x/@CENTCOM)
CENTCOM reported the Iranian Navy’s worst defeat since 1945, saying the IRGC can no longer monitor or strike vessels in the strait (x/@CENTCOM)

CENTCOM HQ: The United States Central Command (CENTCOM) released an operational update on Saturday, March 21, stating that Iran’s military capabilities in the Strait of Hormuz have been significantly reduced following weeks of sustained combat operations.

In a video briefing on “Operation Epic Fury,” CENTCOM Commander Admiral Brad Cooper said the campaign has impacted the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps’ (IRGC) ability to operate in the region.

The update comes as the US continues operations without additional military contributions from several NATO allies.

According to CENTCOM, US forces have conducted more than 8,000 combat flights during the campaign, maintaining air dominance while targeting remaining threats.

Historic elimination of Iranian naval forces



Admiral Cooper said US forces have destroyed approximately 130 Iranian vessels over the past three weeks. He stated that Iranian naval and air activity has declined as a result of these operations.

“Their Navy is not sailing, their tactical fighters are not flying,” Cooper said, describing a reduction in Iran’s ability to carry out coordinated attacks seen earlier in the conflict.

CENTCOM officials said the operations have focused on vessels and assets used in maritime activity near key shipping lanes.

The effort is aimed at reducing risks to commercial traffic moving through the Strait of Hormuz.

Coastal “underground facility” destroyed by bombers

CENTCOM also reported strikes on a coastal underground facility used to store missile launch systems and related equipment.

US bombers deployed multiple 5,000-pound munitions during the operation, targeting infrastructure linked to anti-ship capabilities.

MUNICH, GERMANY - FEBRUARY 27:  A pilote on the flight deck in the new Airbus A350X WB passenger pla
US bombers successfully eliminated a hardened coastal facility, wiping out the intelligence and missile infrastructure used to threaten the Strait (Getty Images)

According to the briefing, the site included storage for mobile launchers and cruise missiles, along with radar and monitoring systems used to track maritime movement.

Officials said the strike also disrupted supporting intelligence and communication networks tied to those systems.

In addition, the US Army conducted long-range precision strikes on related infrastructure. CENTCOM said these actions were part of broader efforts to reduce Iran’s capacity to target vessels in the region.

Global air defense umbrella proves effective

Admiral Cooper highlighted the role of regional air defense systems in countering incoming threats.

He said an integrated network involving the US and partner nations has intercepted a large number of drones launched during the conflict. 

A close-up/macro photograph of Middle East from a desktop globe. Adobe RGB color profile.
the credit for this is- (Keith Binns/ Getty Images)
A decade of investment in integrated missile defense is now 'alive and well,' providing a robust shield for regional partners against constant drone swarms (Keith Binns/ Getty Images)

The system, developed over several years, is designed to protect both military assets and civilian infrastructure across the region.

CENTCOM said coordination with partner nations has been central to maintaining defensive coverage.

Cooper also addressed US personnel involved in the operation, noting that approximately 50,000 service members are supporting efforts across multiple domains.

CENTCOM stated that operations will continue as long as necessary, with a focus on limiting Iran’s ability to conduct military activity beyond its borders and ensuring stability in key maritime routes.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump described the suspect as someone with a 'violent history' and an 'obsession' with the White House
4 hours ago
Mike Johnson expressed optimism about the development, calling it a sign of strong leadership and saying the US is now more secure under Trump
5 hours ago
The fund was unveiled last week after President Trump announced he would withdraw his $10 billion lawsuit against the IRS
5 hours ago
Ted Cruz warned that a deal allowing Tehran access to funds or nuclear development could strengthen a hostile regime
5 hours ago
Former Kamala Harris aides reportedly dismissed a 2028 run, with one adviser calling it 'obviously a bad idea'
5 hours ago
Robert Gevertzman, who died in March 2025 at 75, landed the Democratic ticket for next month’s primaries
6 hours ago
RFK Jr called the move 'sinister', questioning why the agency had not fully released the records despite a 1992 law mandating their disclosure by 2025
7 hours ago
White House shooting drew bipartisan condemnation as officials praised Secret Service response
7 hours ago
Lindsey Graham warned an Iran deal could make Tehran appear stronger if it still threatens Gulf oil infrastructure
8 hours ago
The proposed framework could start fresh negotiations over Iran’s nuclear program
8 hours ago