Tim Walz downplays fraud in Minnesota, says it 'happens in every state'

Tim Walz defended his handling of fraud probes as Trump accused Minnesota programs of losing billions and vowed a federal crackdown
PUBLISHED JAN 30, 2026
Tim Walz spoke about fraud investigations during a January interview on Pod Save America (@podsaveamerica/YouTube)
Tim Walz spoke about fraud investigations during a January interview on Pod Save America (@podsaveamerica/YouTube)


MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA: Minnesota Governor Tim Walz sought to place the state’s ongoing fraud controversy in a broader national context, arguing that such cases are not unique to Minnesota and occur across the country.

Walz made the remarks during a January 28 appearance on Pod Save America, where he addressed criticism surrounding fraud in state-administered public assistance programs. His comments came amid renewed scrutiny after President Donald Trump claimed that billions of dollars were stolen from Minnesota programs during Walz’s tenure.

Tim Walz says fraud occurs nationwide, not just in Minnesota

During the interview, host Jon Lovett raised questions about enforcement and accountability, noting that federal immigration agencies were not involved in investigating fraud cases related to public programs.

In response, Walz acknowledged the issue but pushed back against claims that Minnesota was an outlier.

“This fraud thing happens in every state. We had it here. I take responsibility for it,” Walz said. He added that the fraud was carried out by individuals outside of state government, saying, “People stole from us.”

Walz emphasized that his administration cooperated closely with federal authorities while the investigations were underway. He said Minnesota officials worked directly with the US Attorney’s Office and offered full support to investigators.

“At any time, if you don’t feel like you’re getting it from me, go to a press conference and say the governor is stonewalling on fraud,” Walz said, adding that such a situation never occurred.

He also suggested that changes within federal offices disrupted ongoing efforts, claiming that personnel involved in addressing the fraud were no longer in their roles.

Trump claims $19B in fraud tied to Minnesota programs

Walz’s comments resurfaced after President Donald Trump alleged that at least $19 billion was stolen from Minnesota’s social programs under Walz’s leadership.

Speaking during a press interaction at the premiere of the film 'Melania,' Trump said his administration planned to uncover the full scope of the alleged fraud and identify those responsible.

“They stole at least $19 billion, and we’re going to find out who did it and where the money is,” Trump said.



Trump credited adviser Tom Homan with leading the effort, describing him as instrumental in pursuing fraud cases linked to Minnesota. The remarks were part of a broader initiative launched earlier in January 2026 aimed at cracking down on reported fraud in childcare subsidy programs.

The initiative led to a pause in certain federal funding streams and triggered legal challenges from the state of Minnesota, according to reports.

When asked about Homan’s role and recent personnel changes, Trump said the focus remained on identifying criminal activity and recovering funds.

“We have to find out all of the fraud that took place in Minnesota,” Trump said.

While Walz has framed the issue as part of a nationwide problem, Trump’s comments have kept Minnesota at the center of the debate, ensuring that the dispute over accountability and oversight remains a focal point heading into 2026.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Hilary Knight and Brittany Bowe first met at the 2018 PyeongChang Olympics and grew closer during the 2022 Beijing Games
5 hours ago
Frontman Bono delivered emotionally charged lyrics that reflected grief, anger, and questions about faith, referencing Renee Good’s final words
6 hours ago
The avalanche struck Castle Peak amid a storm warning, leaving six survivors and hampering rescue crews with harsh weather conditions
7 hours ago
Authorities said Kevin Colantonio set five fires outside the predominantly Black church in February 2024
7 hours ago
Chris Nanos said DNA found in Nancy Guthrie’s home is under analysis as the third week passes with no suspects named
7 hours ago
Authorities continue investigating multiple unverified ransom notes as Nancy Guthrie remains missing, with no proof of life reported
8 hours ago
Reverend Jesse L Jackson Sr lived in Chicago’s South Shore, leading civil rights efforts and challenging corporations and governments on diversity
9 hours ago
Trump shared images honoring Jesse Jackson on Truth Social, then delivered tribute remarks at a Black History Month event with Alice Marie Johnson
13 hours ago
The National Museum of American History will display the Hervé Pierre design in its First Ladies Gallery, marking another addition to its archive
21 hours ago
This move comes after neither sample matched CODIS, the nationwide law enforcement DNA database
1 day ago