Tom Homan pushes back on Minnesota reimbursement demands after ICE surge

Homan said ICE actions strengthened safety and blamed state leaders’ policies, rejecting their claims of economic harm from the enforcement push
PUBLISHED 1 HOUR AGO
Tom Homan, White House border official, spoke at a Minneapolis press event on February 12, 2026 (Getty Images)
Tom Homan, White House border official, spoke at a Minneapolis press event on February 12, 2026 (Getty Images)


WASHINGTON, DC: Tom Homan, the White House border official, pushed back against Minnesota leaders seeking federal reimbursement for recent immigration enforcement, saying the operations made the state safer and deserve appreciation instead. His remarks followed calls from from Governor Tim Walz and Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey, who argued that ICE actions had caused economic strain in their communities.

Homan spoke Sunday, February 15, on 'Fox & Friends Weekend,' defending the Trump administration’s surge as a necessary intervention to restore order and protect public safety.

Tom Homan defends ICE operations as a public safety measure

MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA - FEBRUARY 04: Tom Homan, White House
Tom Homan, White House 'Border Czar,' spoke at a Minneapolis press conference on February 4, 2026 (John Moore/Getty Images)

Tom Homan called the operation a “great success,” highlighting that federal intervention broke down sanctuary-style obstacles that had previously hindered law enforcement cooperation. “A lot of things were broken, but it wasn't because of the Trump administration,” he said, pointing to prior border policies as the source of ongoing problems. He stressed that ICE agents now face fewer risks making arrests inside county jails than on the streets.

He cited more than 4,000 arrests, including 14 individuals with homicide convictions and other serious offenses affecting children. Homan also questioned why Minnesota leaders had not previously addressed overdose deaths and violent crimes, asserting that Democrats “broke the border” and Trump restored order.

Minnesota leaders demand federal compensation



Governor Walz and Mayor Frey have called for federal assistance, citing significant economic impacts from immigration enforcement. Frey reported that Minneapolis faced $203 million in losses in January alone and requested direct federal aid to support small businesses and residents. Proposed funding would cover emergency response, humanitarian assistance, public safety support, and infrastructure recovery.

Walz said, “The federal government needs to pay for what they broke here. The incredible costs were borne by the people of this state. You don't get to break things and then just leave without doing something about it.” He also introduced a $10 million emergency relief plan offering forgivable loans from $2,500 to $25,000 to qualifying businesses affected by Operation Metro Surge.

Homan’s comments underscore the tension between federal enforcement priorities and state concerns, framing the surge as a protective measure that strengthened public safety while rejecting Minnesota officials’ reimbursement demands.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Hillary Clinton accused Donald Trump of betraying Western values and modeling himself after Vladimir Putin during a Munich Security Conference panel
26 minutes ago
Thomas Massie said billionaire allies tied to the Epstein circle are funding attacks against him, whether or not they are named in the files
1 hour ago
Marjorie Taylor Greene said that Donald Trump fought to block the Epstein files’ release and signed the bill only after political pressure
1 hour ago
Mark Kelly said President Donald Trump damaged the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, warning Russia and China benefit from weakened alliances
1 hour ago
Tom Homan told Jake Tapper he met Democratic leaders to solve problems and secured unexpected agreements in Minnesota with Governor Tim Walz
2 hours ago
'Probably only those legally eligible to vote would vote, but I have not talked to the secretary about those statements', Tom Homan said
6 hours ago
Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear said the dispute over which leaders were invited to the annual NGA meeting undermined bipartisan cooperation
7 hours ago
Thomas Massie said that he had no confidence in Pam Bondi, saying, 'She hasn’t got any sort of accountability there at the DOJ'
9 hours ago
'No records were withheld or redacted on the basis of embarrassment, reputational harm, or political sensitivity', the DOJ stated
10 hours ago
Funding lapse disrupts DHS operations after talks on immigration enforcement reforms collapse
10 hours ago