Trump admin halts immigration of Afghan nationals after DC shooting of two National Guardsmen

A man who entered the US from Afghanistan was identified as the person responsible for wounding two National Guard members near the White House
PUBLISHED NOV 27, 2025
AfghanEvac says Afghan immigrants face some of the most extensive security vetting in the US (Screengrab/ @WhiteHouse/ X, Getty Images)
AfghanEvac says Afghan immigrants face some of the most extensive security vetting in the US (Screengrab/ @WhiteHouse/ X, Getty Images)


WASHINGTON, DC: Federal immigration authorities have temporarily suspended the processing of immigration applications on Wednesday, November 26 from Afghan nationals following a shooting in Washington, DC.

The decision came after a suspected gunman who entered the United States from Afghanistan was identified as the person responsible for wounding two National Guard members near the White House.

The suspension is effective immediately, pending a security review.

WASHINGTON, DC - NOVEMBER 26: Members of law enforcement, including the U.S. Secret Service and the Washington Metropolitan Police Department, respond to a shooting near the White House on November 26, 2025 in Washington, DC. At least two National Guardsmen have been shot blocks from the White House. According to reports, a suspect is being detained at a local hospital. (Photo by Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
Members of law enforcement, including the US Secret Service and the Washington Metropolitan Police Department, respond to a shooting near the White House on November 26, 2025 in Washington, DC (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

Immigration requests relating to Afghan nationals stopped

The US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced that “processing of all immigration requests relating to Afghan nationals is stopped indefinitely pending further review of security and vetting protocols.”

This action was taken “effective immediately,” according to the agency.

The alleged attacker, identified by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) as Rahmanullah Lakanwal, was taken into custody after being shot by a Guard member.

A member of the U.S. Secret Service responds to a shooting near the White House on November 26, 2025 in Washington, DC. Two members of the West Virginia National Guard were shot blocks from the White House in what authorities are calling a targeted shooting. (Photo by Andrew Leyden/Getty Images)
A member of the US Secret Service responds to a shooting near the White House on November 26, 2025 in Washington, DC (Andrew Leyden/Getty Images)

According to a DHS official, Lakanwal had entered the US in 2021 under a refugee resettlement initiative known as 'Operation Allies Welcome'.

Under the Operation tens of thousands of Afghans were evacuated and were resettled in the US after the withdrawal of American troops from Afghanistan in 2021. 

The affected Afghan immigrants included individuals who had assisted US forces, including interpreters or other employees.

While others were granted asylum or humanitarian parole, temporarily protected status, or family based visas. For some Afghans, their asylum grant had already been approved as in the case of Lakanwal.

DHS further said Lakanwal applied for asylum in 2024 and was granted asylum in 2025, though his green‑card application remains pending.

KABUL, AFGHANISTAN - AUGUST 8:  Afghan Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) applicants crowd into the Herat
Afghan Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) applicants crowd into the Herat Kabul Internet cafe to apply for the SIV program on August 8, 2021 in Kabul, Afghanistan (Paula Bronstein/Getty Images)

AfghanEvac response and President Trump’s call for re-evaluation

Others had been granted temporary protected status or humanitarian parole but did not necessarily have a clear path to permanent residence.

As for whether US authorities had already vetted those arriving under Operation, supporters of the resettlement program maintain that the procedures were extensive.

One non‑profit, the group AfghanEvac, which assists evacuees, said that Afghan immigrants “undergo some of the most extensive security vetting of any population entering the country.”

The group condemned the shooting, but urged the public not to demonize the broader Afghan community for the acts of a single individual.



In response to the shooting and the subsequent immigration suspension, President Trump released a video message calling for a reevaluation of all Afghan nationals admitted under the 2021 evacuation initiative. 

He said, “We must now re‑examine every single alien who has entered our country from Afghanistan under Biden, and we must take all necessary measures to ensure the removal of any alien from any country who does not belong here or add benefit to our country.”

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump praises Team USA after first men's hockey gold in forty-six years historic win big
3 hours ago
Authorities said the 21-year-old entered a restricted zone near the north gate carrying what appeared to be a shotgun before officers opened fire
4 hours ago
'He jokes now about nationalizing the elections. He’s not joking. We’ve seen enough already,' Robert De Niro said about Donald Trump’s intentions
14 hours ago
Conversations paused as diners watched the brief rendition, which ended with applause and quickly became a highlight of the evening
15 hours ago
Melania Trump's 2026 ensemble differed from her 2025 look, when she chose a black tuxedo styled with pieces from Ralph Lauren and Dolce & Gabbana
16 hours ago
JD Vance described his wife Usha as someone who 'just wants to give her kids a good life and wants to be as good of a public servant as possible'
17 hours ago
The 'Shark Tank' investor says firms are scrambling after court blocks Donald Trump tariffs
1 day ago
Israel denied the claims, saying Tucker Carlson was 'politely asked routine questions' per standard procedures for travelers
1 day ago
Mark Ruffalo said President Donald Trump cannot act alone on war and backed Representative Ro Khanna’s War Powers vote
1 day ago
Editor Mark Guiducci reportedly barred press and social media from the Vanity Fair Oscar party amid tighter guest restrictions
1 day ago