Trump admin probes five Democrats over video urging troops to refuse ‘illegal orders’

Five Democratic lawmakers said the Trump DOJ contacted them over a video urging troops to refuse illegal orders, after he accused them of wrongdoing
Democrats said Attorney Jeanine Pirro sought interviews after a video urging troops to refuse illegal orders, drawing backlash from Donald Trump and claims of political motive (@SenatorSlotkin/X)
Democrats said Attorney Jeanine Pirro sought interviews after a video urging troops to refuse illegal orders, drawing backlash from Donald Trump and claims of political motive (@SenatorSlotkin/X)

WASHINGTON, DC: Five top Democratic members of Congress say the Trump Justice Department (DOJ) has contacted them after they appeared in a video asking military members not to follow “illegal orders.” The lawmakers described the move as political confusion.

The group includes both House representatives and senators, many of whom have backgrounds in the military or intelligence. The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) initially reached out to them for interviews after the 90-second video was released in 2025.

The investigation has since expanded, with the Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia reportedly handling the case. The development comes after Donald Trump accused the lawmakers of serious wrongdoing.



DOJ contacts Democrats over video urging troops

Pennsylvania Representatives Chris Deluzio and Chrissy Houlahan, along with New Hampshire Representative Maggie Goodlander, announced on Wednesday, January 14, that they had received inquiries. Two other Democrats, Michigan Senator Elissa Slotkin and Colorado Representative Jason Crow, said the top federal prosecutor in Washington, DC, Jeanine Pirro, reached out to request interviews.

The DOJ’s scrutiny has increased since the lawmakers first released the video in November. In it, they told service members that they “must refuse illegal orders,” but did not specify which orders they were referring to.

The move drew a reaction from Trump on Truth Social, who last year accused the Democrats of “SEDITIOUS BEHAVIOR, punishable by DEATH!” The lawmakers say the DOJ’s actions are 'politically' motivated.



Senator Slotkin, a former CIA analyst, first disclosed the news about the investigation. She later shared a video on her X account confirming that US Attorney Jeanine Pirro’s office contacted her.



“This is the president’s playbook. Truth doesn’t matter. Facts don’t matter. And anyone who disagrees with him becomes an enemy,” Slotkin said. “And he then weaponizes the federal government against them. It’s legal intimidation and physical intimidation meant to get you to shut up.”

Democrats warn troops against 'illegal orders'

In the video, the Democratic lawmakers, many of whom have experience in the military or intelligence, criticized the Trump administration for “pitting our uniformed military and intelligence community professionals against American citizens.” They emphasized that service members have a legal responsibility to refuse unlawful commands.

As they said, “Our laws are clear. You can refuse illegal orders... You must refuse illegal orders. No one has to carry out orders that violate the law or our Constitution."

The video was released during a period of heightened military activity, including strikes on suspected dr*g-carrying boats in the Caribbean and the Eastern Pacific, according to CBS News. 

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Kai Trump described the extra time they spent together during the summer as a 'blessing in disguise'
2 hours ago
Natalie Harp’s brother said her loyalty to Donald Trump reflects their mother’s worldview, which she recognized in Trump’s 'America First' agenda
2 hours ago
JD Vance served in the US Marine Corps from 2003 to 2007 as a combat correspondent with the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing
7 hours ago
Preston Harp said Natalie Harp’s admiration for Donald Trump stems from their upbringing and the values their mother taught them
9 hours ago
Loomer’s strongest objection was directed at the suggestion that Harp and Trump are romantically involved
14 hours ago
The suspect was also reportedly refused service at a Dunkin’ while wearing the unusual mask
15 hours ago
English acknowledged that he had traveled to Washington with the intention of killing a government official
16 hours ago
Zimmerman rejected the suggestion that the blow happened merely as part of a struggle with security
17 hours ago
The store, described as a family-owned operation, was left dealing with the consequences after the crowd departed
19 hours ago
Disney has sued the FCC over early ABC license reviews, alleging retaliation by the Trump administration and warning that scrutiny is affecting political programming
20 hours ago