Trump announces Chief of Staff Susie Wiles diagnosed with breast cancer

President Donald Trump confirmed that Susie Wiles will remain at the White House for immediate treatment following 'excellent' early-stage prognosis
President Donald Trump described his Chief of Staff Susie Wiles as tough and deeply committed as she prepares to undergo treatment while remaining on the job (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)
President Donald Trump described his Chief of Staff Susie Wiles as tough and deeply committed as she prepares to undergo treatment while remaining on the job (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)

WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald J Trump announced Monday, March 16, that White House Chief of Staff Susie Wiles has been diagnosed with early-stage breast cancer.

In a statement posted on social media, the president described Wiles as an “incredible” leader and said she had decided to begin treatment immediately after the diagnosis.

Trump said Wiles plans to continue carrying out her responsibilities at the White House during the treatment period.

According to the president, she intends to remain “virtually full time” at the executive mansion while undergoing care. Wiles is widely regarded as one of the president’s closest advisers and plays a central role in coordinating White House operations.

Excellent prognosis for top White House adviser



The president also addressed Wiles’ medical outlook, stating that she is working with what he described as a “fantastic medical team.” Trump said doctors identified the cancer at an early stage and that her prognosis was considered excellent.

He noted that Wiles’ decision to continue working during treatment reflects her commitment to public service and her role within the administration.

Wiles has served as a senior figure in the White House during the administration’s current national security and domestic policy efforts, helping oversee internal coordination across the executive branch.

Commitment to duty during medical treatment

WASHINGTON, DC - FEBRUARY 04: (L-R) U.S. President Donald Trump, accompanied by U.S. National Security Adviser Michael Waltz, and White House Chief of Staff Susie Wiles, speaks during a meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in the Oval Office of the White House on February 04, 2025 in Washington, DC. Netanyahu is the first foreign leader to visit Trump since he returned to the White House last month. (Photo by Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
Defying traditional expectations for medical leave, Susie Wiles intends to manage the executive branch from the White House throughout her treatment period (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

Trump said Wiles intends to remain actively involved in her duties while undergoing treatment. He indicated that she will continue managing the responsibilities of the chief of staff position while maintaining her regular presence at the White House.

The president said both he and First Lady Melania Trump are offering their support as she begins treatment. He also expressed confidence in her recovery.

Wiles’ continued presence ensures continuity in the administration’s internal coordination as the White House manages both domestic policy initiatives and ongoing international developments.

President and first lady offer full support

(X/@WhiteHouse)
President Trump and the first lady have signaled total support for Wiles, whom they described as a 'great person' and a 'pillar' of the administration (X/@WhiteHouse)

The president concluded his announcement by reiterating his support for Wiles and praising her dedication to her role in the administration.

Trump said he looks forward to continuing to work closely with her on upcoming national priorities. He described her as “deeply committed” and emphasized that her responsibilities at the White House remain unchanged.

The White House has not announced any changes to its leadership structure following the diagnosis. Wiles is expected to remain in her role as chief of staff while undergoing treatment.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Patel has been under scrutiny following allegations of excessive drinking, unexplained absences and controversial use of FBI resources
52 minutes ago
Raskin’s remarks reflect a pattern of aggressive Democratic rhetoric aimed at portraying Trump’s political network as dangerous
2 hours ago
Donald Trump reportedly called John Thune after Elizabeth MacDonough blocked the ballroom funding vote under Senate rules
3 hours ago
The UFC boss revealed this week that what was supposed to be an elegant evening at the newly reopened Rose Garden quickly turned into a bug-filled reality check
3 hours ago
Donald Trump joked that Mark Cuban’s endorsement was a 'mistake,' prompting laughter from the audience
3 hours ago
Michelle argued that widening inequality and declining economic stability have left many Americans feeling abandoned regardless of race or geography
4 hours ago
Arab leaders urged the White House to stand down its forces, signaling that active backchannel diplomatic talks were underway
12 hours ago
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth demanded voters oust the libertarian incumbent for abandoning the conservative movement during crucial Capitol votes
13 hours ago
'We can't set up a multi-million dollar ATM at Mar-a-Lago for people who've committed crimes. It just isn't the way we are', Comey said
13 hours ago
Iran reportedly submits revised 14-point peace plan to Pakistani mediators after Trump warning
15 hours ago