Trump ‘feels badly’ for royal family after Prince Andrew loses title over Epstein links

President Donald Trump called King Charles’ decision to strip Prince Andrew’s titles 'a terrible' and 'tragic situation' for the royal family
PUBLISHED NOV 3, 2025
Buckingham Palace announced that Prince Andrew will no longer be known as a prince and will go by Andrew Mountbatten Windsor (Getty Images)
Buckingham Palace announced that Prince Andrew will no longer be known as a prince and will go by Andrew Mountbatten Windsor (Getty Images)


WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump expressed sympathy for Prince Andrew’s family, calling the stripping of his royal titles a “tragic situation” linked to Jeffrey Epstein.

Last week, King Charles removed Andrew’s royal titles following his 2022 settlement with accuser Virginia Giuffre and the continued fallout from the Epstein scandal.

Trump expresses sympathy for Prince Andrew as Epstein scandal resurfaces

President Donald Trump said he feels “badly” for the royal family as controversy continues over Prince Andrew’s ties to the late financier Jeffrey Epstein.

Prince Andrew, Duke of York attends Katharine, Duchess of Kent's Requiem Mass service at Westminster Cathedral on September 16, 2025 in London, England. Katharine, Duchess of Kent was married to Prince Edward, Duke of Kent, a first cousin of Queen Elizabeth II. She died on September 4 at the age of 92 at Kensington Palace surrounded by her family. Having converted to Catholicism in 1994, her funeral takes place at Westminster Cathedral and is the first Catholic funeral to be held for a member of the royal family in modern British history. Her Royal Highness will be laid to rest at the Royal Burial Ground at Frogmore, Windsor. (Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images)
Prince Andrew, Duke of York attends Katharine, Duchess of Kent's Requiem Mass service at Westminster Cathedral on September 16, 2025 in London, England (Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images)

Trump addressed King Charles’ decision to strip his brother of his peerages and the title of prince while speaking to reporters on board Air Force One late Sunday, November 2. Trump said, “It’s a terrible thing that’s happened to the [royal] family. That’s been a tragic situation. It’s too bad. I feel badly for the family.”

This comes after officials announced last week that Andrew will no longer be known as a prince and must leave Royal Lodge. In a bombshell statement released Thursday night, Buckingham Palace confirmed he will now go by Andrew Mountbatten Windsor.

The palace explained that the “censures are deemed necessary” amid the ongoing Epstein scandal, noting that Andrew had lied about severing ties with the disgraced financier.

Prince Andrew to lose honorary vice admiral rank as UK government confirms removal

Defence Secretary John Healey confirmed that the government will strip Prince Andrew of his honorary rank of vice admiral, which he received on his 55th birthday in 2015, earlier on Sunday, November 2.

Prince Andrew, Duke of York attends the funeral of Katharine, Duchess of Kent at Westminster Cathedral on September 16, 2025 in London, England. Katharine, Duchess of Kent was married to Prince Edward, Duke of Kent, the first cousin of Queen Elizabeth II. She died on September 4 at the age of 92 at Kensington Palace surrounded by her family. Having converted to Catholicism in 1994, her funeral takes place at Westminster Cathedral and is the first Catholic funeral to be held for a member of the royal family in modern British history. Her Royal Highness will be laid to rest at the Royal Burial Ground at Frogmore, Windsor. ( Karwai Tang/WireImage)
Prince Andrew, Duke of York attends the funeral of Katharine, Duchess of Kent at Westminster Cathedral on September 16, 2025 in London, England (Karwai Tang/WireImage)

This rank is Andrew’s last remaining honorary military title, following his return of other honors in 2022 amid the Epstein scandal.

When asked whether Andrew could keep his medals, including the campaign medal for his service in the Falklands War, Healey declined to comment. He added that the Ministry of Defence would follow the King’s decisions.

Sources within the Ministry of Defence said they are reviewing whether Andrew will revert to his active-duty rank of commander or lose his naval rank entirely. Andrew’s Duke of York title has already been removed from the Roll of Peerages.

Andrew has had ties to the Royal Navy since 1979, when he began officer training at Britannia Royal Naval College in Dartmouth. He later served as a helicopter pilot and joined the task force that retook the Falklands following Argentina’s invasion in 1982.

He retired from active service in 2001 with the rank of commander but later received honorary promotions, including to vice admiral in 2015.    

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Ghislaine Maxwell’s family criticizes unequal treatment in legal cases as Andrew faces investigation over alleged misconduct as UK trade envoy
1 hour ago
Eileen Gu reacts after JD Vance questions US-born athletes competing abroad
9 hours ago
Court filing says settlement fund could disburse $35 million upon approval of 40+ eligible claims
11 hours ago
Alysa Liu finished with a total score of 226.79, including a season-best 150.20 in the free skate and 76.59 in the short program
17 hours ago
Amber Glenn, Team USA’s first openly queer woman skater, opened up about emotional toll and online backlash after her 13th-place Olympic finish
18 hours ago
Congressional candidate Clay Fuller mentioned that his daughter, Tallulah, had received detention for missing school to attend the rally
18 hours ago
Nevada County authorities confirmed that eight people died, while a ninth person remained missing and was presumed dead
19 hours ago
Performance highlighted fatal Minneapolis shootings by federal agents and used dance to draw attention to the deaths of Good and Pretti
21 hours ago
Sonora authorities said that no formal collaboration request had been received, though they remained open to cooperating through established channels
1 day ago
The Commission of Fine Arts approved the $400 million project in a 6–0 vote, with one recusal, advancing plans for a major East Wing expansion
1 day ago