Trump pledges $2B in UN aid but warns agencies to ‘adapt, shrink, or die’

Trump pledged $2B for UN aid while warning agencies they must reform or lose US funding under a new efficiency model.
President Trump warns UN agencies to ‘adapt, shrink, or die’ as US unveils leaner $2 billion humanitarian aid model (Getty Images)
President Trump warns UN agencies to ‘adapt, shrink, or die’ as US unveils leaner $2 billion humanitarian aid model (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: The Trump administration on Monday unveiled a $2 billion humanitarian aid pledge to the United Nations, pairing the funding announcement with a blunt warning that UN agencies must dramatically reform or risk losing future American support.

The announcement, detailed in a State Department statement released earlier this week, signals a sharp shift in how the United States intends to fund global humanitarian efforts in 2026 and beyond, prioritizing efficiency, oversight and measurable results over what officials described as bloated, outdated aid structures.

WASHINGTON, DC - NOVEMBER 21: U.S. President Donald Trump delivers remarks during a meeting with New York City Mayor-elect Zohran Mamdani in the Oval Office of the White House on November 21, 2025 in Washington, DC. Trump congratulated Mamdani on his election win as the two political opponents met to discuss policies for New York City, including affordability, public safety, and immigration enforcement. (Photo by Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
US President Donald Trump delivers remarks during a meeting with New York City Mayor-elect Zohran Mamdani in the Oval Office of the White House on November 21, 2025 in Washington, DC (Getty Images)

Trump administration ties UN funding to sweeping reform demands

While confirming the $2 billion commitment, the State Department made clear that the era of open-ended US funding was over.

“Individual U.N. agencies will need to adapt, shrink, or die,” the statement said, outlining what officials described as 'several key benefits for the United States and American taxpayers.'

According to the administration, the funding package is expected to help shield tens of millions of people from hunger, disease and war-related devastation in 2026 alone but only through a new model designed to slash waste and duplication.

“Because of enhanced efficiency and hyper-prioritization on life-saving impacts, this new model is expected to save US taxpayers nearly $1.9 billion compared to outdated grant funding approaches,” the State Department said.

Marco Rubio says new approach will force long-overdue UN accountability

Secretary of State Marco Rubio said the move is intended to force reforms that have stalled inside the UN system for decades, while easing the financial burden on American taxpayers.



“This new model will better share the burden of U.N. humanitarian work with other developed countries and will require the U.N. to cut bloat, remove duplication, and commit to powerful new impact, accountability, and oversight mechanisms,” Rubio wrote in a post on X.

Administration officials noted that US voluntary humanitarian contributions had ballooned to between $8 billion and $10 billion annually in recent years - a level they said was unsustainable and poorly monitored.

State Department official declares ‘old system is dead’

Jeremy Lewin, the State Department’s senior official overseeing foreign assistance, reinforced that message during remarks tied to the announcement.

“The piggy bank is not open to organizations that just want to return to the old system,” Lewin said. “President Trump has made clear that the system is dead.”

The funding overhaul is formalized through a newly signed Memorandum of Understanding between the United States and the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).

Under the agreement, the US will move away from project-by-project grants toward consolidated, flexible pooled funding managed at the country or crisis level - a change officials argue will cut administrative costs and speed aid delivery.

UN officials cautiously welcome deal as funding shrinks

Despite the tougher terms, UN officials publicly welcomed the agreement.

Tom Fletcher, the UN’s top humanitarian official and head of OCHA, called the funding commitment 'a very significant landmark contribution,' according to The Associated Press.



US Ambassador to the United Nations Mike Waltz echoed the administration’s position, saying the deal would deliver more focused, results-driven aid aligned with US foreign policy priorities.



However, State Department officials stressed that future funding will hinge on whether UN agencies follow through on promised reforms, a warning that signals continued pressure from Washington.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

'I think the screwworms are screwed,' Luke Bryan quipped, adding that sterile male flies had been immobilized
3 hours ago
Melania Trump swapped her usual crystal cufflinks for a pair featuring the presidential seal, making the choice a deliberate part of her outfit
4 hours ago
According to the DOJ, Jessica Bowie identified the building as her target and said she wanted the attack to have an 'effect on the American system'
6 hours ago
A 2020 meeting with California Gov Gavin Newsom has resurfaced after a report alleged Markle sought consideration for the vacant Senate seat
7 hours ago
The Grammy winner previously spoke out when her 2024 song ‘Bye’ was used in a TikTok video showing ICE agents arresting and handcuffing people
8 hours ago
First lady Melania Trump paired her patriotic red-and-blue look with an appearance at a Rose Garden event highlighting her Fostering the Future initiative
8 hours ago
The beauty brand said its treatment of Hayden Panettiere 'is not what Neutrogena stands for or who we want to be'
10 hours ago
The woman allegedly discussed attacking the White House but acknowledged its difficulty, then arranged an explosive device and bought materials
14 hours ago
Videos from a marathon Senate session showed Mitch McConnell appearing unusually still and relying on cues from colleagues while voting
16 hours ago
The confrontation with federal investigators reportedly occurred Saturday night at San Francisco International Airport
18 hours ago