Trump refiles $15 billion lawsuit against New York Times after judge tosses first version

Trump revived his $15 billion defamation case against The New York Times, claiming false reporting in two 2024 articles and a 2025 book by its reporters
PUBLISHED OCT 17, 2025
Trump’s lawsuit accused The New York Times of defamation over two 2024 articles and a 2025 book (Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)
Trump’s lawsuit accused The New York Times of defamation over two 2024 articles and a 2025 book (Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump refiled his $15 billion lawsuit against The New York Times on Thursday, October 16, after a federal judge rejected the original version for being too lengthy.

The complaint, filed in the US District Court for Florida’s Middle District in Tampa, accuses the outlet of defamation, citing two articles published in 2024 and a book authored by two of its reporters in 2025. Trump is seeking $15 billion in damages, along with additional punitive compensation.

Donald Trump continues to 'hold the Fake News responsible'

A spokesperson for Donald Trump’s legal team told Fox News, "President Trump is continuing to hold the Fake News responsible through this powerhouse lawsuit against The New York Times, its reporters, and Penguin Random House.”

According to the lawsuit, the named defendants include The New York Times Company, reporters Susanne Craig, Russ Buettner, Peter Baker, and Michael S. Schmidt, as well as Penguin Random House, publisher of ‘Lucky Loser: How Donald Trump Squandered His Father’s Fortune and Created the Illusion of Success’, authored by Craig and Buettner.

U.S. President Donald Trump answers questions from reporters during an event in the Oval Office of the White House on October 16, 2025 in Washington, DC. Trump outlined plans to expand vitro fertilization (IVF) access by encouraging workplace benefits to include access to IVF and infertility coverage. (Photo by Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump answered reporters’ questions in the Oval Office of the White House on October 16, 2025 in Washington, DC (Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)

Meanwhile, a spokesperson for The New York Times told Fox News, “As we said when this was first filed and again after the judge’s ruling to strike it: this lawsuit has no merit. Nothing has changed today. This is merely an attempt to stifle independent reporting and generate PR attention, but The New York Times will not be deterred by intimidation tactics."

Donald Trump’s earlier lawsuit had 85 pages

In September, a federal judge directed Trump’s legal team to shorten its original 85-page complaint to a maximum of 40 pages. The court also gave them a 28-day window to refile.

The revised complaint now runs 40 pages and alleges defamation over The New York Times’ coverage of Trump’s tenure on ‘The Apprentice’ and its reporting on alleged questionable tax maneuvers.

U.S. President Donald Trump listens as administration officials speak during an event in the Oval Office of the White House on October 16, 2025 in Washington, DC. Trump outlined plans to expand vitro fertilization (IVF) access by encouraging workplace benefits to include access to IVF and infertility coverage. (Photo by Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump listened as officials spoke during an Oval Office event at the White House on October 16, 2025 in Washington, DC (Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)

The filing comes amid a string of defamation lawsuits Trump has launched against media outlets, including ABC News, CBS News, and The Wall Street Journal.

Donald Trump’s media battles continue

Trump previously secured eight-figure settlements from ABC News and CBS News over the past year. In December 2024, ABC agreed to pay $15 million as a charitable contribution to a future presidential museum or foundation to resolve a defamation case sparked by anchor George Stephanopoulos' on-air remarks.


WASHINGTON, DC - OCTOBER 14: U.S. President Donald Trump speaks during a meeting with President of Argentina Javier Milei in the Cabinet Room at the White House on October 14, 2025 in Washington, DC. Trump is hosting Milei for a working lunch days after the U.S. Treasury finalized a $20 billion currency swap framework with Argentina in an effort to help stabilize its economy. (Photo by Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump met Argentine President Javier Milei in the Cabinet Room at the White House on October 14, 2025 in Washington, DC (Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)

Earlier in 2025, Trump also sued CBS for “election interference” over its ‘60 Minutes’ interview with Vice President Kamala Harris, alleging deceptive editing. CBS’ parent company, Paramount, settled that case in July 2025 for a total that could exceed $30 million ahead of its planned $8 billion merger with Skydance Media.

MORE STORIES

The group alleges that Letitia James engaged in ‘illegal and dishonest conduct’ tied to the mortgage she obtained on her Norfolk home
11 minutes ago
Fred Fleitz said the Trump administration's pressure campaign is so severe that it could ultimately push the Venezuelan president from power
27 minutes ago
Traffic reportedly surged nationwide between 10 am and 2 pm local time, with $12.5 million flowing through online carts each minute
33 minutes ago
Supporters celebrated the bold move by Idaho’s Old State Saloon, while critics accused it of encouraging vigilante-style behavior
40 minutes ago
Nancy Mace hoped Trump and his administration would hold leftists accountable for propagating the rhetoric
46 minutes ago
Jim Acosta expressed his disgust over President Donald Trump calling Bloomberg reporter Catherine Lucey 'quiet, piggy' earlier this month
57 minutes ago
According to prosecutors, Rahmanullah Lakanwal drove from Bellingham in Washington state to Washington, DC, before the attack
1 hour ago
The site went offline after a news outlet disputed a false claim that one of its reporters asked questions at a recent press briefing
1 hour ago
According to officials, the shooting at the Stockton birthday party left at least four people dead and 10 others injured
1 hour ago
Stockton Vice Mayor Jason Lee had released a deeply emotional message addressing the tragedy, saying the community was heartbroken and shaken
2 hours ago