Trump reveals decision on suing ABC News, says he 'easily won' presidential debate by 'worst' network

The dispute began as ABC anchor David Muir allegedly put Donald Trump on the spot during his debate with Kamala Harris on September 10
Donald Trump took to social media to announce whether he will be suing ABC News (Getty Images)
Donald Trump took to social media to announce whether he will be suing ABC News (Getty Images)

PALM BEACH, FLORIDA: Donald Trump took to his Truth Social platform twice to deny rumors that he is planning to sue ABC anchor David Muir.

Trump’s comments come in response to reports surrounding his performance during a heated debate with Vice President Kamala Harris, during which Muir allegedly put Trump on the spot.

Former President Donald Trump listens as his attorney Todd Blanche speaks during a press conference at 40 Wall Street after a pre-trial hearing on March 25, 2024 in New York City. Judge Juan Merchan scheduled Trump's criminal trial to begin on April 15, which would make it the first criminal prosecution of a former American president. Trump was charged with 34 counts of falsifying business records last year, which prosecutors say was an effort to hide a potential sex scandal, both before and after the 2016 election. (Photo by Michael M. Santiago/Getty Images)
Donald Trump stated that his focus is entirely on the November election (Getty Images)

Donald Trump focuses on presidential election, blames Kamala Harris for crime surge

Donald Trump’s late-night post also took a swipe at Kamala Harris, claiming that she had released “almost 14,000 locked up for life MURDERERS” into the country through the southern border.

He further claimed that his electoral victory should be "easy" given this information.

However, the topic continued to bother the former president.



 

By Saturday morning, September 28, Trump had posted another message on Truth Social, reaffirming his position.

“It is a totally false story that I am going to sue lightweight anchor David Muir of ABC FAKE NEWS, perhaps the worst and most dishonorable network in broadcasting!" he wrote.

"Despite an unfair and unethical 3 on 1, I easily won the recent Debate. My sole focus is to, MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!” Trump added.



 

Journalist Tara Palmeri's report sparks Donald Trump's anger

The source of Donald Trump’s frustration appears to be an article by Tara Palmeri of Puck News.

Palmeri reported that the 78-year-old politician was still "stewing" over what he considered unfair treatment at the hands of Muir during the debate.

According to Palmeri, Trump had allegedly told close associates that he was considering a lawsuit against ABC anchor Muir, though it was unclear on what grounds the suit would be filed, reported Raw Story.

The journalist also compared the potential lawsuit to one the Republican presidential nominee previously filed against another ABC anchor, George Stephanopoulos, seemingly for publicity purposes, as per the outlet.

(Getty Images)
Donald Trump previously filed a defamation lawsuit against ABC anchor George Stephanopoulos (Getty Images)

Donald Trump denounces 'fake news', insists he won debate against Kamala Harris

On Friday, September 27, Donald Trump took to Truth Social to slam news outlet Mediaite and Palmeri for spreading what he called "fake news."

In his post, he wrote, “Fake News sources at Mediaite... report that it is my intention to sue Lightweight Anchor David Muir of ABC for his constant and unagreed to interruptions during the Debate with Comrade Kamala Harris, a Debate which I won, as indicated by the Polls.”

Trump further dismissed Palmeri’s report, claiming he had no knowledge of who she was but that she was “very close to, and writes for, a competitor.”



 

He also reiterated that he had no intention of suing Muir, though he mentioned that he "should" sue him, were it not for his focus on the upcoming election.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Rubio defends Trump’s Iran talks, rejects claims deal would boost nuclear ambitions
15 minutes ago
'Do you know how many of my friends have Purple Hearts? Do you know how many of my friends got wounded? Yeah, a lot of them' Platner said
26 minutes ago
Trump triggers backlash after posting graphic depicting political opponents in prison imagery
38 minutes ago
Paul urges Republicans to give Trump ‘space’ for Iran talks, exposing GOP divisions over diplomacy
57 minutes ago
The ads abandoned traditional campaign messaging, betting on voter fury over the Trump administration's refusal to release classified Epstein records
1 hour ago
Trump described the suspect as someone with a 'violent history' and an 'obsession' with the White House
8 hours ago
Mike Johnson expressed optimism about the development, calling it a sign of strong leadership and saying the US is now more secure under Trump
9 hours ago
The fund was unveiled last week after President Trump announced he would withdraw his $10 billion lawsuit against the IRS
9 hours ago
Ted Cruz warned that a deal allowing Tehran access to funds or nuclear development could strengthen a hostile regime
9 hours ago
Former Kamala Harris aides reportedly dismissed a 2028 run, with one adviser calling it 'obviously a bad idea'
9 hours ago