Trump says Iran ceasefire is over, warns 'it will get much worse' after fresh US strikes

President Donald Trump questioned whether Iran could honor any future deal despite saying Tehran wants to resume negotiations
President Donald Trump said the latest US strikes were retaliation for Iran's attacks on commercial vessels in the Strait of Hormuz and warned any future attacks would trigger a stronger response (Getty Images, @TruthSocial/X)
President Donald Trump said the latest US strikes were retaliation for Iran's attacks on commercial vessels in the Strait of Hormuz and warned any future attacks would trigger a stronger response (Getty Images, @TruthSocial/X)

WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump declared the US-Iran ceasefire effectively over on Wednesday, July 8, as the United States launched another round of military strikes against Iran following recent attacks on commercial shipping in the Strait of Hormuz.

The operation marked the second consecutive night of US strikes. Trump defended the military action on Truth Social, describing it as "in retribution for yesterday's bombing of ships by Iran." He also warned Tehran that any future attacks would prompt an even stronger military response.

Trump defends fresh US strikes as retaliation for Hormuz tanker attacks

US Central Command (CENTCOM) announced that US forces had begun conducting "additional strikes against Iran to further degrade their ability to threaten freedom of navigation in the Strait of Hormuz."

The command said the operation was carried out at the direction of the commander in chief and was intended to hold Iran accountable for what it described as recent aggression against commercial shipping and civilian crews navigating international waters.



Iranian state media reported explosions in several locations, including Bandar Abbas, Bushehr, Sirik, Konarak and Chabahar, although the full extent of the strikes was not immediately clear.



After the strikes began, Trump defended the military action, writing that the operation was "in retribution for yesterday's bombing of ships by Iran." The president also issued a warning, "If it happens again, it will get much worse!"



The latest escalation followed Iranian attacks on three commercial oil tankers transiting the Strait of Hormuz on Monday, July 6. Washington had already responded with an earlier wave of strikes targeting Iranian military infrastructure before launching the latest operation.

Trump questions whether Iran can honor a future agreement

Hours before the operation, Trump told reporters that, "As far as I'm concerned, it's over," when asked about the future of the ceasefire reached between Washington and Tehran last month. Despite declaring the ceasefire effectively over, Trump said diplomatic contacts could continue.



Speaking aboard Air Force One after departing the NATO summit in Turkey, Trump claimed Iranian officials had recently reached out seeking renewed negotiations. "They want to make a deal so badly," Trump said.



However, the president questioned whether Tehran could be trusted to uphold any future agreement. "I just do not know if they are worthy of making a deal. I do not know if they can honor the deal, that is the problem," he said.

President Donald Trump speaks during a media conference at the NATO summit in Ankara, Turkey, Wednesday, July 8, 2026. (AP Photo/Emrah Gurel)
President Donald Trump spoke during a media conference at the NATO summit in Ankara, Turkey, on Wednesday, July 8, 2026 (AP Photo/Emrah Gurel)

Trump also said the US had already achieved its military objectives. "There are many ways we can win it. We already won militarily," he said.

When asked why Iran had attacked commercial vessels despite ongoing diplomatic efforts, Trump replied, "Because they're sort of crazy, to be honest with you. They're sort of crazy. They're a little bit out of control. But they want to make a deal, badly."

ARABIAN SEA - APRIL 20: (EDITOR'S NOTE: This Handout image was provided by a third-party organization and may not adhere to Getty Images' editorial policy.) In this handout photo provided by U.S. Central Command, U.S. forces patrol the Arabian Sea near M/V Touska on April 20, 2026, after firing upon the Iranian-flagged vessel that the U.S. accused of attempting to violate the U.S. naval blockade of Iranian ports near the Strait of Hormuz. (Handout Photo by the U.S. Navy via Getty Images)
US Central Command forces patrolled the Arabian Sea near M/V Touska after engaging an Iranian-flagged vessel near the Strait of Hormuz on April 20, 2026 (Handout Photo by the US Navy via Getty Images)

The latest military exchange further clouded the future of negotiations launched under a 60-day ceasefire framework aimed at easing sanctions, reopening the Strait of Hormuz and addressing disputes over Iran's nuclear program.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

JD Vance said the administration is at the same time also working to increase oil and gas supplies to ease pressure on American consumers at the pump
56 minutes ago
Donald Trump and Michael Cohen revisited their fractured past during a radio interview, reflecting on years of conflict and Cohen’s decision to seek a pardon
1 hour ago
Jill Biden said doctors examined Joe Biden after the debate and told her, 'Jill, he's fine, he's okay'
6 hours ago
'She's not the White House press secretary. She's not a household name, and I just find it to be appalling', Scott Jennings said
7 hours ago
Asked whether the US would pressure China, Bessent said 'many conversations are best to have in private,' but called on Beijing to 'get with the program'
7 hours ago
On Wednesday, August 19, President Donald Trump announced a ‘most crushing economic operation’ and ‘economic warfare’ against Iran
8 hours ago
President Donald Trump had warned that the US would impose major economic penalties on any country providing 'any type of lifeline' to Tehran
9 hours ago
House Democrats passed the impeachment resolution when they last held the majority, but it failed in the Senate
10 hours ago
James Braid helped pass Trump's tax-cut and immigration bill with the narrow House majority and advanced the GENIUS Act, his major crypto law
10 hours ago
In June, Chinese Foreign Minister Lin Jian said Min Zin was being held on suspicion of espionage and endangering national security
11 hours ago