US strikes Iran days after Trump says Tehran was given 'a week off' for Khamenei funeral

US Central Command (CENTCOM) said the operation was intended to impose "heavy costs" following attacks on three commercial ships in the strategic waterway
CENTCOM said the strikes were launched in response to Iranian attacks on three commercial vessels, while Iran accuses US of violating MoU (Getty Images/ AP Photos)
CENTCOM said the strikes were launched in response to Iranian attacks on three commercial vessels, while Iran accuses US of violating MoU (Getty Images/ AP Photos)

WASHINGTON DC: The United States on Tuesday, July 7, launched a series of military strikes against Iran after accusing Tehran of attacking commercial vessels transiting the Strait of Hormuz, escalating tensions just weeks after both countries signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) aimed at reducing hostilities.

US Central Command (CENTCOM) said the operation was intended to impose "heavy costs" following attacks on three commercial ships in the strategic waterway. Iranian officials condemned the strikes, accusing Washington of violating the agreement and warning that Tehran would take "decisive measures" to protect its national interests.

CENTCOM says strikes respond to attacks on commercial shipping

CENTCOM announced in a statement posted on X that American forces had begun carrying out what it described as a series of "powerful strikes" against Iran. 

"US Central Command forces have begun launching a series of powerful strikes against Iran to impose heavy costs for targeting and attacking commercial shipping crewed by innocent civilians in an international waterway," CENTCOM said. 



"The US strikes are in response to Iranian attacks on three commercial vessels that were transiting the Strait of Hormuz. Iran's demonstrated aggression was unwarranted, dangerous, and a clear violation of the ceasefire," the command added.

A US official said that the military operation was a "direct result" of what Washington described as international acts of extremism against commercial vessels. "The Iranians know the consequences to their ridiculous actions, yet they still chose to carry out these attacks," the official said.

AT SEA, UNSPECIFIED - MARCH 1: (EDITOR'S NOTE: This Handout image was provided by a third-party organization and may not adhere to Getty Images' editorial policy.) In this U.S. Navy released handout, Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Thomas Hudner (DDG 116) fires a Tomahawk land attack missile in support of Operation Epic Fury, on March 1, 2026 at Sea. Iran's Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, was confirmed killed after the United States and Israel launched a joint attack on Iran on February 28. Iran retaliated by firing waves of missiles and drones at Israel, and targeting U.S. allies in the region. (Photo by U.S. Navy via Getty Images)
Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Thomas Hudner (DDG 116) fires a Tomahawk land attack missile in support of Operation Epic Fury, on March 1, 2026, at Sea (US Navy via Getty Images)

The latest escalation followed multiple reported attacks on commercial tankers in and around the Strait of Hormuz. The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) previously reported vessels sustaining damage after being struck by projectiles while transiting the waterway. 



Iranian state media reported that strikes hit Qeshm Island, Bandar Abbas, and Sirik, with several people reportedly injured by shrapnel. No fatalities had been reported so far. 

Iran accuses US of violating agreement, as Trump previously signaled pause

Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi condemned the US operation and earlier revocation of an oil sanctions waiver, arguing both actions violated the memorandum of understanding signed between Washington and Tehran last month.

Gharibabadi described the sanctions decision as a "blatant violation" of the agreement and said Iran would take "decisive actions" to safeguard its national security and interests. Iran's foreign ministry also criticized Washington for what it called repeated violations of the understanding and accused the United States of acting in "bad faith."



The strikes came shortly after President Donald Trump suggested the US had delayed action during Iran's mourning period. Speaking during America's 250th Independence Day celebrations, Trump said, "We gave them a week off because we're nice."



Trump's remarks referred to the funeral period following the death of Iran's late supreme leader, whose burial ceremonies have continued in recent days.

(X/ @Whitehouse)
The memorandum outlines an immediate halt to military operations, sanctions relief tied to future commitments (X/ @Whitehouse)

The MoU signed last month had extended a ceasefire between the two countries and included commitments related to maritime security and future discussions over the administration of the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world's busiest energy shipping routes.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Loomer’s strongest objection was directed at the suggestion that Harp and Trump are romantically involved
5 minutes ago
The suspect was also reportedly refused service at a Dunkin’ while wearing the unusual mask
48 minutes ago
English acknowledged that he had traveled to Washington with the intention of killing a government official
2 hours ago
Zimmerman rejected the suggestion that the blow happened merely as part of a struggle with security
3 hours ago
The store, described as a family-owned operation, was left dealing with the consequences after the crowd departed
5 hours ago
Disney has sued the FCC over early ABC license reviews, alleging retaliation by the Trump administration and warning that scrutiny is affecting political programming
5 hours ago
An 11-year-old boy criticized Donald Trump and referenced Jeffrey Epstein as he explained his anger toward the president in the widely shared footage
11 hours ago
'Hes with me every day even when I’m not thinking about him, he’s certainly part of my heart,' Jill Biden shared
12 hours ago
Melania Trump’s diplomatic outreach has focused on children separated from loved ones during the Russia-Ukraine war, using back-channel communication
13 hours ago
Hunter Tirpak stole the spotlight at Donald Trump’s 2016 Pennsylvania rally after arriving dressed as a miniature Trump and being picked up by him
14 hours ago