‘We’re not going to be told how to run’: Disney takes Trump to court over ABC pressure campaign
WASHINGTON, DC: Disney and ABC have taken President Donald Trump’s Federal Communications Commission to court, accusing the agency of launching a retaliatory campaign against the network and violating its First Amendment rights. The lawsuit filed Tuesday, August 18, seeks to stop an early review of broadcast licenses held by eight Disney-owned ABC stations.
The dispute has grown from a regulatory fight into a broader confrontation over whether government officials can use broadcast licensing powers to pressure a major news and entertainment network over its programming.
Disney challenges Trump-era FCC actions
Disney’s lawsuit asks a federal court to issue a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction preventing FCC Chairman Brendan Carr from advancing the license challenge.
The FCC ordered Disney’s eight ABC-owned stations to seek renewal earlier than normally required. Reuters reported that the April action was the first early license review by the agency in more than 50 years.
Disney argues that the move was not an ordinary regulatory proceeding but part of a campaign against ABC’s editorial decisions. The company says the pressure has created an immediate threat to its ability to operate the stations independently.
The FCC, however, maintains that the early renewal process is connected to its investigations into Disney, including concerns surrounding its diversity, equity and inclusion practices. Carr has said the agency is following its regulatory authority and giving Disney an opportunity to make its case.
Jimmy Kimmel dispute fuels tensions
The clash intensified after Trump repeatedly criticized ABC and called for late-night host Jimmy Kimmel to be fired over remarks that angered the president.
The FCC’s early-renewal order followed shortly afterward, prompting lawmakers and media advocates to question whether the timing reflected political retaliation. A group of Democratic senators formally urged Carr to rescind the order, arguing that the agency’s action threatened constitutionally protected speech.
The FCC has rejected the suggestion that its action was designed to punish ABC for its coverage. Carr has pointed instead to the agency’s ongoing investigations and said Disney will have the opportunity to respond through the licensing process.
The eight stations normally undergo license renewals on an eight-year cycle, making the accelerated review an unusual step.
‘The View’ faces separate scrutiny
The FCC is also examining ABC’s daytime program The View under federal equal-time rules governing political candidates.
Disney has argued that the show qualifies as a “bona fide news program” and therefore falls under an existing exemption. The company has maintained that the FCC had already recognized the program’s status under a 2002 decision.
The investigation has nevertheless added another point of tension between ABC and the agency. ABC has launched an on-air campaign urging viewers to participate in the FCC’s proceedings, while Carr has accused the network of running a misinformation campaign.
ABC says pressure is affecting coverage
Disney’s lawsuit says the regulatory scrutiny is already influencing editorial decisions at ABC.
According to the complaint, The View has become “more circumspect in booking political candidates” since the FCC inquiry began. Disney says the program has not featured a political candidate since February 2 and that ABC has declined to air certain clips because they could potentially be treated as candidate appearances under the equal-time rules.
The company argues that the consequences extend beyond one program or eight stations, warning that the dispute could influence how broadcasters across the country approach politically sensitive coverage.
Disney CEO Josh D’Amaro previously said the company would not allow the government to dictate how its news operations are run. The lawsuit now asks the courts to determine whether the FCC’s actions crossed the constitutional line.