Oil tankers hit near Strait of Hormuz as US weighs response to suspected Iran strikes

A US official said Washington may retaliate after the attacks, which followed the end of a week-long truce and renewed tensions in the Hormuz
Iran's Revolutionary Guards reportedly struck two commercial ships in the Strait of Hormuz, raising fears of US retaliation and a ceasefire collapse (Amirhosein Khorgooi/ISNA via AP)
Iran's Revolutionary Guards reportedly struck two commercial ships in the Strait of Hormuz, raising fears of US retaliation and a ceasefire collapse (Amirhosein Khorgooi/ISNA via AP)

WASHINGTON, DC: Iran’s Revolutionary Guards reportedly fired missiles at two commercial ships passing through the Strait of Hormuz on July 6, damaging both vessels and prompting the United States to consider retaliatory options, US officials told Axios.

The attack marks a new escalation that threatens to unravel a fragile ceasefire agreement reached less than three weeks ago.

The UK Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) agency said one tanker was struck on its port side while sailing south about eight nautical miles east of Līmah, Oman, causing a fire on board. 

Iran missile strikes after truce expires

A second merchant vessel was also hit by a missile launched from Iran, a US official told Axios. Neither incident resulted in crew injuries or environmental damage, according to UKMTO.

Mourners carrying Iranian and religious flags gather during the funeral procession of the late Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei in Tehran, Iran, Monday, July 6, 2026. (AP Photo/Altaf Qadri)
Mourners carrying Iranian and religious flags gather during the funeral procession of the late Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei in Tehran, Iran, Monday, July 6, 2026 (AP Photo/Altaf Qadri)

Washington is now likely to retaliate by targeting Iranian assets, a US official said.

The attacks came immediately after the expiration of a week-long truce aimed at halting hostilities in the strategic waterway, fueling concerns that the broader 14-point de-escalation pact signed by Washington and Tehran in June is beginning to break down.

Indirect negotiations between the two sides in Doha last week ended without a breakthrough on the status of the waterway, Axios reported.

The latest strikes are not the first since the June agreement. Both nations have continued exchanging fire in the weeks following the pact's signing, with the Strait of Hormuz remaining a persistent flashpoint.



Since US and Israeli strikes on Iranian targets sparked a broader regional conflict, Iran has attempted to weaponize the strategic waterway, CNN reported.

On July 5, IRGC naval patrol vessels maneuvered to block the so-called "Omani route," an alternative corridor along Oman's coastline that commercial vessels had been using to avoid the strait's most dangerous sections, according to state media and an IRGC-linked Telegram channel.

Strait of Hormuz shipping routes disrupted

The impact on commercial shipping has been significant. MarineTraffic data cited by CNN showed that nearly 30% of vessels traveling through the waterway between July 3 and July 5 chose to sail along the Omani coast.

Of the 108 ships tracked during that period, including liquefied petroleum gas and crude oil tankers, 30 took the longer coastal route.

A patrol boat moves through the water as cargo ships sit at anchor in the Strait of Hormuz off Bandar Abbas, Iran, Saturday, May 2, 2026.(Amirhosein Khorgooi/ISNA via AP)
A patrol boat moves through the water as cargo ships sit at anchor in the Strait of Hormuz off Bandar Abbas, Iran, Saturday, May 2, 2026 (Amirhosein Khorgooi/ISNA via AP)

The highest number of crossings through the strait occurred on Friday, with 43 vessels, followed by 34 on Saturday and 31 on Sunday. MarineTraffic said conditions were "operational but fragmented" and warned that the data should be viewed alongside the evolving security and diplomatic situation.

The Strait of Hormuz carries roughly one-fifth of the world's oil and liquefied natural gas supplies, making any sustained disruption to navigation a matter of significant global economic concern.

Trump's warning preceded Iran missile strikes

The latest strikes came after Trump issued a sharp warning to Tehran earlier in the week, telling Iran to "finish the job" if it intended to resume hostilities, signaling that any return to conflict would be met with a decisive American response.



US Central Command did not immediately comment on the Monday night strikes. The White House has not yet issued a formal statement on the incidents.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump rejected claims that November's midterm elections influenced his approach to the conflict, saying they had 'nothing to do' with his thinking
1 hour ago
A Wall Street Journal report says Iran used the diplomatic window to strengthen the IRGC, rebuild weapons capacity and prepare for wider conflict
2 hours ago
Donald Trump cited cost, diplomacy with Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s Iran stance as the Pentagon reduced US participation in annual military drills
11 hours ago
Iranian Army chief Amir Hatami said the reward was created after a surge in requests from Iranians seeking to join the conflict
16 hours ago
Kazem Gharibabadi said Tehran would decide when the strategic waterway opens or closes, rejecting Washington’s claim of control
2 days ago
Iran said the United States must pledge never to threaten Tehran again and permanently end its war with Iran and its regional allies
Aug 9, 2026
Kazem Gharibabadi said negotiations were essential as inflation hit 88.6% and Iran’s oil exports faced mounting disruption
Aug 9, 2026
Iran said the Strait of Hormuz would remain closed until the US ended military action, lifted sanctions, and withdrew its forces
Aug 8, 2026
Reza Valizadeh also revealed that Iranian authorities have prevented his family from visiting him for five months, which he believes is punishment
Aug 8, 2026
Ron Dermer served as Israel’s ambassador to the US from 2013 to 2021 and later worked as Benjamin Netanyahu’s strategic affairs minister
Aug 8, 2026