Trump's backchannel claim falls apart as IRGC drops blunt response and 60-day plan expires

Trump rejected claims that November's midterm elections influenced his approach to the conflict, saying they had 'nothing to do' with his thinking
An IRGC spokesperson said that there are currently no back-channel talks between the United States and Iran (@Osint613/X)
An IRGC spokesperson said that there are currently no back-channel talks between the United States and Iran (@Osint613/X)

TEHRAN, IRAN: President Donald Trump's claim that back-channel talks were underway with Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) to reach a peace deal fell apart within hours as the IRGC denied any such arrangement.

IRGC’s denial comes as the 60-day window for peace talks closes without a concrete plan to end the war, igniting concerns about whether the parties are even in talks.

IRGC calls Trump's back-channel talks claim a lie



An IRGC spokesperson on Monday, August 17, said that there are currently no back-channel talks between the United States and Iran.

Earlier today, Trump told Fox News that his administration had established a direct backchannel with the IRGC.

Trump said that he was in no hurry to reach any deal with Iran, even as the 60-day window for an agreement between the parties closed on Monday without any announcement of a concrete deal.



An IRGC spokesperson told Iran’s semi-official Tasnim news agency that Trump’s claim was a “lie” and “nothing more than fantasies” driven by what the spokesperson described as defeat and desperation in the war.

The spokesperson also said diplomacy does not fall under the IRGC’s responsibilities.

“As far as we are aware, and based on statements by Foreign Ministry officials, there are currently no talks with the Americans even at that level, given Washington’s broken promises and its long record of repeatedly violating its commitments,” the agency cited the IRGC spokesperson as saying.

President Donald Trump speaks at an event at the Red Rock Casino Resort and Spa in Las Vegas, Wednesday, Aug. 5, 2026. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)
President Donald Trump speaks at an event at the Red Rock Casino Resort and Spa in Las Vegas, Wednesday, August 5, 2026 (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)

Trump said he is in talks with the IRGC

In a phone interview with Fox News, Trump confirmed that US officials had been communicating directly with IRGC officials.

He also maintained that Iran must ultimately accept his demand that it cannot have nuclear weapons.

“They’re good poker players, but they’re dying,” Trump said, referring to the IRGC.

Members of the Iranian Basij paramilitary force march during the force parade during military manoeuvres on January 10, 2025 in Tehran, Iran. The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) and Basij, a paramilitary group that has played a prominent role in suppressing protests, held military manoeuvres in the Iranian capital (Getty Images)
Members of the Iranian Basij paramilitary force march during the force parade during military manoeuvres on January 10, 2025, in Tehran, Iran (Getty Images)

The backchannel reportedly involved Nechirvan Barzani, president of Iraq’s Kurdistan region, who was used as an intermediary because of his relationships with both American and Iranian officials.

60-day ceasefire window closed Monday

The 60-day ceasefire window was reached through a Memorandum of Understanding, with both parties agreeing to work on a permanent ceasefire and reopening of the Strait of Hormuz. The planned timeline expired on Monday.

Despite the deadline, Trump said he had no fixed timetable for reaching an agreement.

Oman's Minister of Foreign Affairs Sayyid Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi, right, holds a meeting with White House special envoy Steve Witkoff, center, and Jared Kushner, as part of the ongoing Iranian-American negotiations, in Geneva, Thursday Feb. 26, 2026. (Foreign Ministry of Oman via AP)
Oman's Minister of Foreign Affairs Sayyid Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi, right, holds a meeting with White House special envoy Steve Witkoff, center, and Jared Kushner, as part of the ongoing Iranian-American negotiations, in Geneva, Thursday, February 26, 2026 (Foreign Ministry of Oman via AP)

Trump also rejected the idea that November’s midterm elections were influencing his approach to the conflict, saying, “Midterms have nothing to do with my thinking.”

RELATED TOPICS BATTLE FOR CONGRESS

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

A Wall Street Journal report says Iran used the diplomatic window to strengthen the IRGC, rebuild weapons capacity and prepare for wider conflict
2 hours ago
Donald Trump cited cost, diplomacy with Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s Iran stance as the Pentagon reduced US participation in annual military drills
11 hours ago
Iranian Army chief Amir Hatami said the reward was created after a surge in requests from Iranians seeking to join the conflict
16 hours ago
Kazem Gharibabadi said Tehran would decide when the strategic waterway opens or closes, rejecting Washington’s claim of control
2 days ago
Iran said the United States must pledge never to threaten Tehran again and permanently end its war with Iran and its regional allies
Aug 9, 2026
Kazem Gharibabadi said negotiations were essential as inflation hit 88.6% and Iran’s oil exports faced mounting disruption
Aug 9, 2026
Iran said the Strait of Hormuz would remain closed until the US ended military action, lifted sanctions, and withdrew its forces
Aug 8, 2026
Reza Valizadeh also revealed that Iranian authorities have prevented his family from visiting him for five months, which he believes is punishment
Aug 8, 2026
Ron Dermer served as Israel’s ambassador to the US from 2013 to 2021 and later worked as Benjamin Netanyahu’s strategic affairs minister
Aug 8, 2026
Although both Tehran and Washington projected confidence that progress was being made, activity in the strait remains far from normal
Aug 7, 2026