'We'll bomb them': Trump's warning to Oman raises questions over Iran talks
BREAKING: Trump to Fox News:
— Clash Report (@clashreport) August 17, 2026
If Oman gets in the way, we will bomb the shit out of them. pic.twitter.com/1UOaTlzbfD
WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump threatened Oman with military action if it interferes with his effort to end the US-Israel war on Iran, pressuring a Gulf partner involved in the diplomacy.
Oman has been talking with Iran over the Strait of Hormuz, and Tehran’s foreign ministry said on Monday that talks were “continuing in earnest.”
Trump made the threat during a Fox News interview on Monday, August 17, as a two-month negotiating window with Tehran closed without a final agreement.
Trump puts Oman in the middle of Iran talks
TRUMP TO FOX: Iran "should put up the white flag of surrender." The 60-day deadline expires with no deal. "I have no time schedule. I'm not in a hurry." Blockade holds. 350% inflation in Iran. On U.S. stockpiles: "what we've used is peanuts." pic.twitter.com/derS4GovtY
— Sean Hannity 🇺🇸 (@seanhannity) August 17, 2026
“If Oman gets in the way, we’ll bomb the s**t out of them,” Trump said, directing the threat at Muscat for the second time.
Oman has traditionally served as a key backchannel between Washington and Tehran and has played a mediation role in the war.
The Gulf nation of 5.3 million people has also come under attack from Tehran.
Trump’s latest warning came as he said he was “not in a hurry” to reach a deal, despite repeatedly saying the war would end “soon” and promoting the prospect of a lasting peace agreement.
“I have no time schedule. I’m not in a hurry,” Trump said, while also telling Iran to “put up the white flag of surrender.”
The diplomatic window had been established by a June 17 memorandum of understanding Trump signed with Iran at the Palace of Versailles on the sidelines of the G7 summit.
The agreement paused hostilities and set a maximum 60-day period for reaching a comprehensive deal on sanctions relief, Iran’s nuclear program, and other disputes.
President Trump has threatened Oman before
PRESIDENT TRUMP: The Strait is going to be open to everybody. It’s international waters. We’ll watch over it, but nobody’s going to control it.
— Department of State (@StateDept) May 27, 2026
Oman will behave like everybody else or we’ll have to blow them up. They understand that. pic.twitter.com/hCs1tIhZGP
Monday’s warning was not the first time Trump has threatened Oman.
During a May cabinet meeting, he said he would “blow up” the country if it failed to “behave.”
The renewed threat also comes after Trump said on Friday that he could declare the Strait of Hormuz “a territory of the United States.”
Trump: After we finish defeating Iran, I will be declaring the Hormuz Strait a territory of the United States. pic.twitter.com/8cu9gem82b
— Acyn (@Acyn) August 14, 2026
The Strait has been closed since the US and Israel launched their war on Iran in February. Iran lies north of the waterway and Oman to the south, while the two countries have been discussing control of the Strait.
Trump also used Truth Social to restate his negotiating red line, writing that the “number one Goal is, and always will be, that Iran cannot have, in any way, shape, or form, a Nuclear Weapon.”
Trump dismisses US arsenal concerns
The president also dismissed concerns that nearly six months of fighting had depleted US weapons stocks, telling Fox News that what Washington had expended against Iran was “peanuts.”
Trump said many advanced US munitions, including air defense systems, had already been “given away” to Ukraine under former President Joe Biden.
CNN reported earlier this month that defense analysts had warned earlier in the war that US and allied stockpiles were being drawn down faster than they could be replenished.
Trump also confirmed for the first time that Washington had opened a direct backchannel to Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, which the US and Israel have targeted during the conflict.
“They’re good poker players, but they’re dying,” Trump said of the IRGC leadership.
Iran’s foreign ministry, meanwhile, said talks with Oman were continuing despite Trump’s latest outburst.