Trump reveals who he's talking to behind the scenes as Iran ceasefire deadline nears
WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump has confirmed that the United States is communicating through a backchannel with Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), revealing a previously reported diplomatic channel as a 60-day window for reaching a deal with Tehran expiring Monday.
At the same time, Trump said he was “not in a hurry” to reach an agreement and demanded that Iran effectively surrender.
In a phone interview with Fox News, Trump confirmed that US officials had been communicating directly with IRGC officials, saying the group was involved in discussions over the conflict.
His comments came after Axios reported that the administration had sought a secret channel with the powerful Iranian military organization after US negotiators struggled to determine whether Iran’s formal representatives could speak for the IRGC.
Trump reveals unusual Iran backchannel
Trump said the United States was communicating with IRGC officials while maintaining that Iran must ultimately accept his central demand: that it cannot obtain a nuclear weapon.
“They’re good poker players, but they’re dying,” Trump said, referring to the IRGC.
President Trump to Fox News:
— Global OSINT (@GlobalOSINTHQ) August 17, 2026
Iran should raise the white flag of surrender. They’re good poker players, but they’re dying. pic.twitter.com/P5SJhrfICb
The backchannel reportedly involved Nechirvan Barzani, president of Iraq’s Kurdistan region, who was used as an intermediary because of his relationships with both American and Iranian officials.
The effort emerged after Iran’s leadership was significantly disrupted during the conflict, increasing uncertainty over who could negotiate on behalf of Tehran.
Trump’s confirmation comes as formal negotiations remain stalled. Earlier reports said mediators had struggled to make progress despite continuing efforts to reopen diplomatic contacts.
Ceasefire window closes without deal
The 60-day period established under a June memorandum of understanding is expiring Monday without a final agreement. The arrangement had been intended to halt hostilities, address Iran’s nuclear program and facilitate discussions over the Strait of Hormuz.
Despite the deadline, Trump said he had no fixed timetable for reaching an agreement.
BREAKING: President Trump tells @TreyYingst he's in "no hurry" as a backchannel with Iranian Revolutionary Guard officials remains open despite Tehran's public defiance.
— Fox News (@FoxNews) August 17, 2026
Trump says Iran is dying and playing its hand like a good poker player, projecting strength publicly while… pic.twitter.com/zCuxVTXSdd
“I have no time schedule. I’m not in a hurry,” he told Fox News.
Trump also rejected the idea that November’s midterm elections were influencing his approach to the conflict, saying “Midterms have nothing to do with my thinking.”
President Trump told Fox News that Iran should "put up the white flag of surrender."
— Bruce Snyder (@realBruceSnyder) August 17, 2026
"I have no time schedule," Trump added. "I'm not in a hurry...the midterms have nothing to do with my thinking." https://t.co/Y0VfWmUyZJ pic.twitter.com/c6g6YeIHke
His comments came as Iran warned that the United States could face further escalation if Washington does not implement the interim agreement. Tehran has also demanded changes involving the Strait of Hormuz and the US military presence in the region.
Trump, meanwhile, reiterated that preventing Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon remains his primary objective, leaving the next phase of the conflict dependent on whether the backchannel can produce movement where formal negotiations have stalled.