Witness blasts NYT's bias, gives firsthand account of NYC synagogue rampage

Zimmerman rejected the suggestion that the blow happened merely as part of a struggle with security
Eyewitness challenges NYT's NYC synagogue attack narrative, accuses paper of bias and sanitizing what he witnessed. (Getty Images)
Eyewitness challenges NYT's NYC synagogue attack narrative, accuses paper of bias and sanitizing what he witnessed. (Getty Images)

NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK: Harry Zimmerman was sitting just six rows from the front when Friday, August 14 prayers at Manhattan’s Central Synagogue were suddenly shattered by a man screaming and charging through the sanctuary.

What Zimmerman saw was, in his telling, a violent assault inside a packed Jewish house of worship.

Then he read The New York Times' account of the incident and said he could barely reconcile the article with what had unfolded only feet from him.



Witness challenges NYT's account

Zimmerman did not mince words when describing his frustration with the Times.

In a lengthy Facebook post on August 17, he challenged the newspaper’s portrayal of the incident, arguing that seemingly mild descriptions stripped away the force and context of what congregants actually experienced.

Zimmerman pointed specifically to the paper describing suspect Larry Montes as having “grown agitated” and saying he “struggled” while attacking a congregant.

That was not how Zimmerman remembered it.

He said the service had been proceeding normally when Montes suddenly began screaming at the top of his lungs.

The man moved through the aisle with his arms swinging while people attending Shabbat services sat nearby.

And then, Zimmerman said, Montes turned toward a 63-year-old woman sitting near the aisle.

Zimmerman rejected the suggestion that the blow happened merely as part of a struggle with security.

According to his firsthand account, the woman was struck before Montes had been restrained.



Zimmerman bashes NYT's 'bias'

Zimmerman also took issue with how the destruction of the synagogue’s religious objects was characterized.

The Times reported that Montes knocked over a set of candlesticks.

Zimmerman argued that description made the damage sound almost incidental as though the objects had simply been caught up in the chaos. He said that was not what he witnessed.

In his account, Montes intentionally grabbed and damaged the Shabbat candlesticks.

Zimmerman stressed that these were not ordinary objects sitting around the room but religious items with significance to the congregation.

He argued that readers who were not inside Central Synagogue had no firsthand experience to compare against the report. For them, the wording of the article becomes the event.

And Zimmerman believes the Times’ version left out too much of the atmosphere, violence and religious context he personally witnessed. 



Shocking synagogue attack in Manhattan

The incident at Central Synagogue occurred Friday evening during a livestreamed Shabbat service.

Suspect Larry Montes was arrested at the scene after disrupting the service, assaulting a congregant and attacking a security team member.

Police said he also damaged synagogue property, while prosecutors have filed multiple hate-crime charges.

The NYPD said Montes spat at and head-butted a member of the security team as he was being removed. A sergeant assigned to the synagogue then took him into custody.

The Times has defended its coverage, saying its reporting presented the facts about an incident that threatened congregants and disrupted a religious gathering.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

The store, described as a family-owned operation, was left dealing with the consequences after the crowd departed
2 hours ago
Disney has sued the FCC over early ABC license reviews, alleging retaliation by the Trump administration and warning that scrutiny is affecting political programming
3 hours ago
An 11-year-old boy criticized Donald Trump and referenced Jeffrey Epstein as he explained his anger toward the president in the widely shared footage
9 hours ago
'Hes with me every day even when I’m not thinking about him, he’s certainly part of my heart,' Jill Biden shared
10 hours ago
Melania Trump’s diplomatic outreach has focused on children separated from loved ones during the Russia-Ukraine war, using back-channel communication
11 hours ago
Hunter Tirpak stole the spotlight at Donald Trump’s 2016 Pennsylvania rally after arriving dressed as a miniature Trump and being picked up by him
12 hours ago
Rep Nancy Mace showcased nine tattoos, including religious imagery and a Virginia Woolf quote, after previously keeping much of the ink covered
14 hours ago
Ryder Williams gained national attention after rescuing a 10-year-old boy from rough surf while working as a lifeguard at Seabright State Beach
16 hours ago
Todd Blanche also expressed regret over the lack of an update, acknowledging how heartbreaking the case has been
1 day ago
Brad Cooper visited six countries during a 10-day Middle East tour, met over 50,000 US service members and praised the Lincoln Carrier Strike Group
1 day ago