Trump says Iran war won't resume, then warns 'we'll hit 10x harder' as Tehran brands him 'criminal'

President Trump predicted the Iran conflict would end quickly but warned of overwhelming retaliation if Tehran launched fresh attacks
President Donald Trump speaks during a media conference at the NATO summit in Ankara, Turkey, Wednesday, July 8, 2026 (AP Photo/Hussein Malla)
President Donald Trump speaks during a media conference at the NATO summit in Ankara, Turkey, Wednesday, July 8, 2026 (AP Photo/Hussein Malla)

ANKARA, TURKEY: President Donald Trump delivered conflicting messages on the future of the Iran conflict on Wednesday, July 8, insisting he does not believe the war will restart even as he threatened to unleash another wave of military strikes "10 times harder" if Tehran attacks again.

The remarks drew a furious response from Iran, whose deputy foreign minister branded Trump a "criminal" and accused him of admitting that years of US pressure had failed to break the Islamic Republic.



The sharp exchange comes only weeks after a US-brokered ceasefire halted direct fighting between Washington and Tehran.

While Trump projected confidence that the conflict could end swiftly, both sides continued to trade threats, underscoring the fragility of the truce.

Trump predicts conflict will end

Speaking during a press conference in Ankara, Trump said he did not expect another full-scale conflict with Iran despite recent attacks on commercial vessels near the Strait of Hormuz.

"I don't think it's going to start again," Trump said. "I think it's going to go very quickly."



The president argued that previous US military responses had discouraged further escalation.

"When they hit, we hit 10 times harder," Trump said, adding that Washington's objective was not a prolonged conflict but restoring stability.

Trump also expressed confidence that regional tensions would ease quickly enough to protect global energy supplies, saying oil would soon become "very free" and markets would stabilize.

The sun rises behind tankers anchored in the Strait of Hormuz off the coast of Qeshm Island, Iran, Saturday, April 18, 2026. (AP Photo/Asghar Besharati)
The sun rises behind tankers anchored in the Strait of Hormuz off the coast of Qeshm Island, Iran, Saturday, April 18, 2026 (AP Photo/Asghar Besharati)

His remarks marked a softer tone than earlier in the day, when he declared the US memorandum of understanding with Iran was effectively "over."

Fresh military warning follows

Despite predicting the conflict would not resume, Trump stopped short of ruling out additional military action.

He warned that the United States could launch another major strike if Iran provoked Washington again, saying any future response could target significant infrastructure.



Trump also raised the possibility of restoring a naval blockade following recent Iranian-linked attacks on commercial shipping in the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world's most strategically important energy routes.

The comments signaled that while diplomacy remains possible, the administration is keeping military options firmly on the table.

Iran fires back at Trump

Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi responded within hours, accusing Trump of relying on threats because previous US pressure campaigns had failed.

Writing on X, Gharibabadi described Trump as a "criminal" and said his latest remarks reflected "the failure of a policy built for years on force, sanctions and threats."



"The criminal and murderous Trump should be spoken to in the language he understands," Gharibabadi wrote, arguing that Washington's strategy had failed to force Iran into submission.

The verbal clash represents the most direct exchange between the two sides since the ceasefire took effect and highlights the uncertainty surrounding the future of US-Iran relations.

Although Trump continues to express optimism that fighting will not resume, his latest warnings and Tehran's immediate response suggest tensions remain high despite the temporary pause in hostilities.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump rejected claims that November's midterm elections influenced his approach to the conflict, saying they had 'nothing to do' with his thinking
2 days ago
A Wall Street Journal report says Iran used the diplomatic window to strengthen the IRGC, rebuild weapons capacity and prepare for wider conflict
2 days ago
Donald Trump cited cost, diplomacy with Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s Iran stance as the Pentagon reduced US participation in annual military drills
2 days ago
Iranian Army chief Amir Hatami said the reward was created after a surge in requests from Iranians seeking to join the conflict
2 days ago
Kazem Gharibabadi said Tehran would decide when the strategic waterway opens or closes, rejecting Washington’s claim of control
4 days ago
Iran said the United States must pledge never to threaten Tehran again and permanently end its war with Iran and its regional allies
Aug 9, 2026
Kazem Gharibabadi said negotiations were essential as inflation hit 88.6% and Iran’s oil exports faced mounting disruption
Aug 9, 2026
Iran said the Strait of Hormuz would remain closed until the US ended military action, lifted sanctions, and withdrew its forces
Aug 8, 2026
Reza Valizadeh also revealed that Iranian authorities have prevented his family from visiting him for five months, which he believes is punishment
Aug 8, 2026
Ron Dermer served as Israel’s ambassador to the US from 2013 to 2021 and later worked as Benjamin Netanyahu’s strategic affairs minister
Aug 8, 2026