Trump says stopping ballroom construction 'would be devastating' as Minneapolis fallout continues

Donald Trump argued that halting construction would harm national interests, dismissing critics as obstructionists trying to block progress
PUBLISHED JAN 25, 2026
President Donald Trump stressed that private donations covered ballroom construction costs, insisting that no taxpayer money was used for the multimillion-dollar project (Getty Images)
President Donald Trump stressed that private donations covered ballroom construction costs, insisting that no taxpayer money was used for the multimillion-dollar project (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: With his administration under scrutiny over the killing of Alex Pretti in Minneapolis, President Donald Trump turned to Truth Social to defend his plan to construct a new White House ballroom.

In a lengthy post, Trump warned that halting the project “would be devastating to the White House, our Country and all concerned,” dismissing the lawsuit against it as the work of “obstructionists.”

The president framed the ballroom as a historic contribution, calling it “one of the greatest and most beautiful Ballrooms anywhere in the World.” He stressed that the project was funded by “more than 300 Million Dollars of Great American Patriots’ money,” insisting that there was “ZERO taxpayer funding” involved.

President says ballroom replaces temporary event structures



Trump placed the value of the “GIFT” at between $300 million and $400 million, "depending on the scope and quality of interior finishes."

He said that the facility was “desperately needed” and “sought for over 150 years by previous presidents and administrations.”

According to Trump, the ballroom would end the White House’s reliance on temporary structures. He said that the new space would prevent the administration from being “forced to use a cheap and unsafe ‘tent’” for state events.

The president also stated that it would host dinners, meetings, conferences, and “future INAUGURATIONS,” arguing that the White House lawn was “very wet, and subject to weather.”

Trump lists ordered materials and security upgrades for White House

WASHINGTON, DC - OCTOBER 20: Workers demolish the facade of the East Wing of the White House on October 20, 2025 in Washington, DC. The demolition is part of U.S. President Donald Trump's plan to build a ballroom reportedly costing $250 million on the eastern side of the White House. (Photo by Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)
The president listed materials like marble, stone, and precast concrete, arguing that it was 'too late' to stop the orders (Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)

Addressing the lawsuit from the National Trust for Historic Preservation, which he labeled the “Radical Left National (No!)Trust,” Trump argued, the project had progressed too far to be stopped.

He listed materials already ordered or in process, including “Structural Steel, Windows, Doors, AC/Heating Equipment, Marble, Stone, Precast Concrete.”

Trump also cited security features such as “Bulletproof Windows and Glass” and “Anti-Drone Roofing.” He said there was “no practical or reasonable way to go back,” adding, “IT IS TOO LATE!”

He questioned why critics did not file their lawsuit earlier and claimed that Congress never attempted to block the project.

Trump labels East Wing a 'bastardized' structure

An excavator works to clear rubble after the East Wing of the White House was demolished on October 23, 2025 in Washington, DC. The demolition is part of U.S. President Donald Trump's plan to build a multimillion-dollar ballroom on the eastern side of the White House.
Trump justified the demolition by claiming that the East Wing was 'bastardized' and bore no resemblance to the original building (Getty Images)

The president criticized the portion of the White House being altered, stating that the “tiny East Wing” had been so “bastardized” over time that it “bore no resemblance or relationship to the original building.”

He accused “so-called ‘preservationists’” of questionable motives, alleging that they got their "money from the most unusual of places."

Trump argued that a president "never needed permission to change or enhance" the White House, citing what he described as the “special grounds on which it sits,” regardless of the scale of the project.

Lawsuit exposes top secret fact

HERSHEY, PA - DECEMBER 10:  A group of Secret Service agents assemble before President Trump holds a
Trump alleged that the lawsuit exposed 'Top Secret' facts regarding the military and Secret Service's involvement in the design (Getty Images)

Trump said that the ballroom was being built “with the design, consent, and approval of the highest levels of the United States Military and Secret Service.” He claimed that the lawsuit itself had “already, unfortunately, exposed this heretofore Top Secret fact.”

The president reiterated that stopping construction “would be devastating,” maintaining that the addition is essential for “safety, security, and capacity purposes.”

RELATED TOPICS MINNEAPOLIS ICE SHOOTING FALLOUT

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Nancy Pelosi is reportedly leveraging her donor network to elevate Newsom’s national profile ahead of a potential 2028 run
59 minutes ago
Hillary Clinton said the Trump administration’s Ukraine stance is 'disgraceful' and called forcing a deal with Vladimir Putin 'shameful'
2 hours ago
Maher criticizes Democrats for prioritizing global appearances while Republicans question their focus on domestic security issues
2 hours ago
Oversight Committee seeks answers on Andrew’s ties to Epstein as new documents suggest possible misconduct during UK trade role
3 hours ago
Younger Democrats increasingly identify as socialists, while conservative members shrink, highlighting the party’s leftward shift
3 hours ago
Chuck Schumer rejected voter ID despite polls showing 83 percent support and opposed ICE at polls as the SAVE America Act heads to the Senate
4 hours ago
Former president says life beyond Earth is possible but doubts humans have been visited by extraterrestrials
4 hours ago
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez criticized Pam Bondi’s remarks on predators and said the case reaches top levels, urging accountability
5 hours ago
Hillary Clinton accused Donald Trump of betraying Western values and modeling himself after Vladimir Putin during a Munich Security Conference panel
6 hours ago
Thomas Massie said billionaire allies tied to the Epstein circle are funding attacks against him, whether or not they are named in the files
6 hours ago