Trump’s DC golf course project to move forward despite judge warning of 'serious consequences'

Trump said construction will begin September 1, despite a federal judge warning against major work without court approval
President Donald Trump returns to the White House on June 28, 2026 in Washington, DC after touring East Potomac Links Golf Course (Aaron Schwartz/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump returns to the White House on June 28, 2026 in Washington, DC after touring East Potomac Links Golf Course (Aaron Schwartz/Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump said on Sunday, June 28, that construction on the East Potomac Golf Course in Washington, DC, will begin on September 1, despite a federal judge's warning that the administration should not proceed with major work without first obtaining required approvals and notifying the court.

Trump announced the timeline after touring the public golf course, which he plans to redevelop through a public-private partnership. The project remains the subject of an ongoing legal battle over the administration's termination of the site's operating agreement and the planned redevelopment.

Trump says course will host major tournaments

Trump toured East Potomac Golf Links alongside Interior Secretary Doug Burgum, golf course architect Tom Fazio and Gavin Fazio before outlining his vision for the public course in a series of social media posts.

The president said work would begin on September 1 through the Department of the Interior under a public-private partnership, describing the existing course as "dilapidated, worn out, and very dangerous and outdated."

WASHINGTON, DC - JUNE 28: U.S. President Donald Trump tours East Potomac Golf Links on June 28, 2026 in Washington, DC. President Trump has announced a plan to renovate the golf course. (Photo by Aaron Schwartz/Getty Images)
 President Donald Trump tours East Potomac Golf Links on June 28, 2026 in Washington, DC. President Trump has announced a plan to renovate the golf course (Aaron Schwartz/Getty Images)

“On this fantastic site, with water and unparalleled views of DC's Monuments, we will build one of the Greatest Golf Courses anywhere in the World which, importantly, will also be made available to the Public," Trump wrote.



He said the redesigned course would be built to the "Highest Standards of Golf" while remaining open to the public. "When completed, this Course will have the ability to host Major Golf Tournaments, including The US Open, The Ryder Cup, The PGA Championship, and other top PGA Tour events," Trump added.

Federal judge warns of 'serious consequences' as legal dispute continues

Trump's announcement comes as the redevelopment remains under judicial review. During a recent court hearing, US District Judge Ana Reyes warned the administration against beginning major work before obtaining the required approvals and informing the court.

"I'm going to say this one more time, and I do not want a situation where something has happened and then I'm being told by the government or by a foundation or by a bulldozing company that it's too late to do anything about it," Reyes said. "If anything like that happens ... there are going to be serious consequences."



The legal dispute centers on the nonprofit National Links Trust, which previously operated the city's public golf courses under a lease agreement. The Trump administration terminated that agreement in December, alleging the nonprofit failed to meet maintenance obligations, a claim the organization disputes.

WASHINGTON, DC - MAY 14: Democracy Forward billboard truck drives by East Potomac Golf Course on May 14, 2026 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images for Democracy Forward)
Democracy Forward billboard truck drives by East Potomac Golf Course on May 14, 2026 in Washington, DC (Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images for Democracy Forward)

A settlement reached in May allows National Links Trust to continue operating the course while redevelopment plans move forward. Preservation groups have argued in court that the historic East Potomac property could be permanently altered before legal challenges are resolved, prompting requests for judicial oversight of any major construction activity.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

JD Vance said the administration is at the same time also working to increase oil and gas supplies to ease pressure on American consumers at the pump
55 minutes ago
Donald Trump and Michael Cohen revisited their fractured past during a radio interview, reflecting on years of conflict and Cohen’s decision to seek a pardon
1 hour ago
Jill Biden said doctors examined Joe Biden after the debate and told her, 'Jill, he's fine, he's okay'
6 hours ago
'She's not the White House press secretary. She's not a household name, and I just find it to be appalling', Scott Jennings said
7 hours ago
Asked whether the US would pressure China, Bessent said 'many conversations are best to have in private,' but called on Beijing to 'get with the program'
7 hours ago
On Wednesday, August 19, President Donald Trump announced a ‘most crushing economic operation’ and ‘economic warfare’ against Iran
8 hours ago
President Donald Trump had warned that the US would impose major economic penalties on any country providing 'any type of lifeline' to Tehran
9 hours ago
House Democrats passed the impeachment resolution when they last held the majority, but it failed in the Senate
10 hours ago
James Braid helped pass Trump's tax-cut and immigration bill with the narrow House majority and advanced the GENIUS Act, his major crypto law
10 hours ago
In June, Chinese Foreign Minister Lin Jian said Min Zin was being held on suspicion of espionage and endangering national security
11 hours ago