Trump ballroom project debris dumped on public golf course, report claims

The debris contained chromium, PCBs, pesticides, petroleum byproducts and other toxic chemicals at levels over laboratory reporting limits in soil
Images and accounts referenced in the report show piles of material on parts of the course (Getty Images)
Images and accounts referenced in the report show piles of material on parts of the course (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: The construction project of the White House Ballroom being advocated by President Donald Trump is facing scrutiny after reports alleged that debris from a planned ballroom development was dumped on a public golf course.

According to the report, materials from the construction site were transported and deposited at a nearby public course, raising concerns among local officials and environmental observers.

Allegations focus on disposal of construction material

Debris from the White House’s demolished east wing, torn down to make way for President Donald Trump’s $400 million ballroom, tested positive for lead after being dumped at a public golf course, the National Park Service said.

Tower cranes being used for construction of the White House Ballroom are seen at the White House, on Tuesday, March 31, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Tom Brenner)
Tower cranes being used for construction of the White House Ballroom are seen at the White House, on Tuesday, March 31, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo/Tom Brenner)

The park service-commissioned report also found that soil from the debris contained chromium, PCBs, pesticides, petroleum byproducts and other toxic chemicals above laboratory reporting limits.

The East Potomac Golf Links course has received more than 30,000 cubic yards of debris from the White House construction project since October.

Local officials cited in the report said they are reviewing whether the disposal complied with environmental regulations.

Concerns have centered on the possibility that the debris could contain materials requiring specific handling procedures.

Trump reportedly autographed a rendering of a new golden logo for the redesign proposal, which included renaming the site the 'Washington National Golf Course.'

Workers build a fence as trucks unload debris and soil from the demolition of the White House's East Wing at East Potomac Golf Course on October 24, 2025 in Washington, DC. The demolition is part of U.S. President Donald Trump's plan to build a multimillion-dollar ballroom on the eastern side of the White House. (Photo by Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images)
Workers build a fence as trucks unload debris and soil from the demolition of the White House's East Wing at East Potomac Golf Course on October 24, 2025 in Washington, DC. The demolition is part of US President Donald Trump's plan to build a multimillion-dollar ballroom on the eastern side of the White House (Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images)

That idea escalated last week, when NOTUS reported that the Trump administration would take over the course and begin renovating it on Monday.

Project draws attention amid regulatory review

Katie Martin, a spokesperson for the Department of the Interior, which oversees the park service, said in an email to AP on Tuesday that the debris “was tested multiple times, by multiple parties, and this project passed all standards set by law.”

She further claimed that “this thorough process was followed to ensure the transfer was safe for the public,” writing in her statement that the department is “committed to continuing the relationships we have built with the local golf communities”

Meanwhile, Democracy Forward, which represents the Preservation League, demanded another look at the latest test results.

WASHINGTON, DC - OCTOBER 21: The facade of the East Wing of the White House is demolished by work crews on October 21, 2025 in Washington, DC. The demolition is part of U.S. President Donald Trump's plan to build a ballroom reportedly costing $250 million on the eastern side of the White House. (Photo by Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
The facade of the East Wing of the White House is demolished by work crews on October 21, 2025 in Washington, DC. The demolition is part of US President Donald Trump's plan to build a ballroom reportedly costing $250 million on the eastern side of the White House (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)

They argued in a press release that the report shows the government basically dumped a toxic mix of chemicals on the course. According to them, officials kept piling on the debris, even though they knew what was in it, right out in public.

Trump’s ballroom keeps stirring things up and grabbing headlines, ever since he unveiled the plan back in August.

Then, after the shooting at the White House Correspondents’ dinner, the president pushed even harder for building the White House Ballroom.

Workers build a fence as trucks unload debris and soil from the demolition of the White House's East Wing at East Potomac Golf Course on October 24, 2025 in Washington, DC. The demolition is part of U.S. President Donald Trump's plan to build a multimillion-dollar ballroom on the eastern side of the White House. (Photo by Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images)
Workers build a fence as trucks unload debris and soil from the demolition of the White House's East Wing at East Potomac Golf Course on October 24, 2025 in Washington, DC (Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images)

“What happened last night is exactly the reason that our great Military, Secret Service, Law Enforcement and, for different reasons, every President for the last 150 years, have been DEMANDING that a large, safe, and secure Ballroom be built ON THE GROUNDS OF THE WHITE HOUSE,” wrote Trump in a post on Truth Social.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Loomer’s strongest objection was directed at the suggestion that Harp and Trump are romantically involved
43 minutes ago
The suspect was also reportedly refused service at a Dunkin’ while wearing the unusual mask
1 hour ago
English acknowledged that he had traveled to Washington with the intention of killing a government official
2 hours ago
Zimmerman rejected the suggestion that the blow happened merely as part of a struggle with security
4 hours ago
The store, described as a family-owned operation, was left dealing with the consequences after the crowd departed
5 hours ago
Disney has sued the FCC over early ABC license reviews, alleging retaliation by the Trump administration and warning that scrutiny is affecting political programming
6 hours ago
An 11-year-old boy criticized Donald Trump and referenced Jeffrey Epstein as he explained his anger toward the president in the widely shared footage
12 hours ago
'Hes with me every day even when I’m not thinking about him, he’s certainly part of my heart,' Jill Biden shared
13 hours ago
Melania Trump’s diplomatic outreach has focused on children separated from loved ones during the Russia-Ukraine war, using back-channel communication
14 hours ago
Hunter Tirpak stole the spotlight at Donald Trump’s 2016 Pennsylvania rally after arriving dressed as a miniature Trump and being picked up by him
14 hours ago