US military newspaper publisher resigns over differences with Pentagon leadership
WASHINGTON, DC: The longtime publisher of Stars and Stripes, the newspaper catering to the US military community, has now resigned after stating that his vision for the paper no longer agreed with the direction being taken by the Defense Department leaders.
Max D Lederer Jr announced his decision to retire in a memo sent to the staff on Tuesday, stating that there existed fundamental disagreements regarding the newspaper's leadership and mission. His leaving occurs at a time when the Trump administration is attempting to bring the government-subsidized military publication in line with what Pentagon officials refer to as its original mission of serving US warfighters.
Publisher cites differences with Pentagon leadership
The memo suggested that Lederer clashed with the administration of President Donald Trump over government efforts to seek greater editorial control over the publication, The Associated Press reported.
Scoop: Longtime Stars and Stripes publisher Max Lederer told staff today that he is retiring, effective Sept. 30.
— Liam Scott (@liamjscott) August 18, 2026
Read his full email, in which he says his leadership philosophy and understanding of the newspaper’s mission “differ in fundamental ways” from DOD pic.twitter.com/bOKH7oru3k
In the memo, Lederer wrote that it has “become clear that my philosophy of leadership and my understanding of the value and mission of Stars and Stripes differ in fundamental ways from the direction the leadership of the Department of Defense has for the organization."
The announcement comes after Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth accused the publication of promoting “woke distractions."
The Trump administration has also slammed the outlet for bringing attention to poor conditions and declining morale on the USS Abraham Lincoln aircraft carrier, involved in the war on Iran.
Long-running fight over military newspaper
The dispute is not the first time Stars and Stripes has faced pressure over its funding and editorial role. While the newspaper receives a significant portion of its funding from the US government, it has sought to maintain editorial independence from the various administrations in power.
Critics, however, say the threats to the news outlet have increased in recent years.
🔴 Stars and Stripes publisher resigns over Pentagon push for editorial control
— NewsTongue (@NewsTongueX) August 20, 2026
Max D Lederer Jr, publisher of the military-focused newspaper Stars and Stripes, announced his retirement Tuesday citing fundamental disagreements with Defense Department leadership. In his… pic.twitter.com/2wJmU3alPY
During the first Trump presidency, from 2017 to 2021, the Pentagon sought to eliminate funding for the newspaper, though Trump pledged not to cut its budget “under my watch”.
Pentagon spokesperson Sean Parnell framed the move as “returning Stars and Stripes to its original mission: reporting for our warfighters."
The wider changes follow on from Hegseth's move to restrict media access to the Pentagon. In June, reporters were prevented from entering the Defense Department's press office after that area had been declared classified.
A federal judge then put on hold a policy that would have required journalists to have escorts when inside the Pentagon.
The administration has maintained that its reforms are needed in order to guard sensitive information and make sure that the military's mission stays the top priority. Stars and Stripes was one of two military publications to report on flagging morale and suicide attempts by US service members on board the USS Abraham Lincoln, one of the aircraft carriers participating in the war.
Trump and his allies have lashed out at critical reporting about the war, with the president suggesting that journalists who highlight the troubles faced by the military are traitors who want to see their country fail.