Video shows satellite images suggesting Iran may be rebuilding suspected nuclear site

The development has fueled questions over whether Iran violated the MoU it signed with the US
Satellite images raise questions about Iran's nuclear activity as tensions escalate, with US responding with a new round of military strikes (X @CNN)
Satellite images raise questions about Iran's nuclear activity as tensions escalate, with US responding with a new round of military strikes (X @CNN)


WASHINGTON, DC: Fresh satellite imagery has raised concerns that Iran may be attempting to rebuild suspected nuclear facilities, even as tensions with the US escalated after Tehran announced the closure of the Strait of Hormuz and Washington responded with a new round of military strikes.

Exclusive satellite images obtained and analyzed by CNN in collaboration with the Institute for Science and International Security reportedly show renewed activity at suspected Iranian nuclear sites. The development has fueled questions over whether Iran violated the memorandum of understanding (MoU) it signed with the US in late June, before President Donald Trump appeared to signal the agreement's collapse by authorizing fresh military action.

Pro-government demonstrators chant slogans in a gathering commemorating the late Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei at a square in Tehran, Saturday, July 11, 2026. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)
Pro-government demonstrators chant slogans in a gathering commemorating the late Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei at a square in Tehran, Saturday, July 11, 2026 (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)

CNN satellite imagery raises concerns over Iran's nuclear activity

According to CNN's analysis, new satellite images indicate Iran may be rebuilding infrastructure at suspected nuclear facilities that had previously been targeted.

If confirmed, the activity could suggest Tehran resumed work despite the MoU reached with the US in late June, an agreement aimed at reducing tensions following weeks of military confrontation.



The reported reconstruction comes as the fragile understanding between the two countries appears to be unraveling amid renewed hostilities.

Iran closes Strait of Hormuz after warning shots

The latest escalation followed an announcement by Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), which said it had closed the Strait of Hormuz after firing warning shots at a vessel allegedly attempting to use an "unauthorized route" through the strategic waterway.

In a statement carried by the IRGC-affiliated Tasnim News Agency, the force blamed "outside interference from foreign powers" for recent maritime incidents.

AT SEA, UNSPECIFIED - MARCH 1: (EDITOR'S NOTE: This Handout image was provided by a third-party organization and may not adhere to Getty Images' editorial policy.) In this U.S. Navy released handout, Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Thomas Hudner (DDG 116) fires a Tomahawk land attack missile in support of Operation Epic Fury, on March 1, 2026 at Sea. Iran's Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, was confirmed killed after the United States and Israel launched a joint attack on Iran on February 28. Iran retaliated by firing waves of missiles and drones at Israel, and targeting U.S. allies in the region. (Photo by U.S. Navy via Getty Images)
Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Thomas Hudner (DDG 116) fires a Tomahawk land attack missile in support of Operation Epic Fury, on March 1, 2026 at Sea (US Navy via Getty Images)

Given the precariousness that was caused by this unlawful interference by outside parties, the Strait of Hormuz is to be closed until further notice and until regional interference by the US ceases," the statement said.

The IRGC added that "no vessel or naval craft will be allowed to pass."

Separately, the UK Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) reported a fire and damage aboard a container ship east of Oman, though it was not immediately clear whether it was the same vessel referenced by Iran.

US launches fresh strikes on Iran

Hours after Iran's announcement, US Central Command (CENTCOM) confirmed it had begun a fresh round of strikes against Iran on Saturday night, describing them as retaliation for an attack on a Cyprus-flagged commercial container ship transiting the Strait of Hormuz.

CENTCOM said Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps forces had "blatantly attacked" the vessel and that one crew member remained missing.

"Iran was provided yet another opportunity to demonstrate adherence to the Memorandum of Understanding after being held accountable for earlier attacks on commercial vessels but has again failed," CENTCOM said in a statement posted on X.



The military said the operation began at 7.15 pm. ET and remained ongoing.

CENTCOM added that the US was "imposing a heavy cost" under the direction of President Trump.

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth also commented on the operation, writing on social media, "Iran made a poor choice. Now they pay."



The latest exchange marks another sharp escalation in US-Iran tensions despite Trump's indication on Friday that ceasefire and truce discussions with Tehran would continue.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

'The fact that the media is now trying to turn loyalty and hard work into some kind of scandal tells you everything you need to know', Boebert said
2 hours ago
Bowie visited the Capitol five times between July 21 and August 9, photographing it and sending dozens of images unknowingly to an FBI informant
3 hours ago
'Papaw was a welder in this place for 40 years and today, his grandson stands here as the Vice President of the United States', Vance said
4 hours ago
The defense rested in Lindsay Clancy's trial after experts testified that severe postpartum psychosis left her unable to understand her actions
4 hours ago
JD Vance called Erika Kirk 'a very, very good person' and urged people to remember she was coping with her husband’s loss while raising two children
5 hours ago
Rosie O'Donnell thanked Jimmy Kimmel for letting her host, saying it upheld free speech, before calling Trump 'orange Voldemort' on air
6 hours ago
The Cessna 441 flew from Anchorage to Cape Newenham before crashing around 12 pm, 450 miles west of Anchorage, the FAA said
7 hours ago
'I think the screwworms are screwed,' Luke Bryan quipped, adding that sterile male flies had been immobilized
15 hours ago
Melania Trump swapped her usual crystal cufflinks for a pair featuring the presidential seal, making the choice a deliberate part of her outfit
16 hours ago
According to the DOJ, Jessica Bowie identified the building as her target and said she wanted the attack to have an 'effect on the American system'
18 hours ago