12 Dems to boycott Trump's 'State of the Union', say 'no obligation' to attend 'a campaign rally'
WASHINGTON, DC: At least a dozen Democratic members of Congress plan to boycott President Donald Trump’s upcoming 'State of the Union' address on Tuesday, February 24, and instead attend a rally near the Capitol.
The “People’s State of the Union” event, organized by MoveOn and MeidasTouch, is scheduled to take place on the National Mall.
Organizers describe the gathering as counterprogramming to the president’s address. The coordinated boycott reflects heightened partisan tensions surrounding the annual congressional tradition.
Senators and House Democrats plan to skip Trump's 'dangerous agenda'
The event is billed as “counter-programming” to “President Trump’s night full of lies and misplaced priorities for the American people.”
In a statement, the groups said, “Democratic lawmakers will be joined on stage by the everyday Americans most impacted by Trump’s dangerous agenda.”
According to organizers, lawmakers planning to skip the speech include Senators Ed Markey of Massachusetts, Jeff Merkley of Oregon, Chris Murphy of Connecticut, Tina Smith of Minnesota, and Chris Van Hollen of Maryland.
House members listed include Yassamin Ansari, Becca Balint, Greg Casar, Veronica Escobar, Pramila Jayapal, Delia Ramirez, and Bonnie Watson Coleman.
Van Hollen wrote in a post on X, “Next week, Trump will deliver his State of the Union address. I won’t be there. Trump is marching America towards fascism, and I refuse to normalize his shredding of our Constitution & democracy. This cannot be business as usual.”
Next week, Trump will deliver his State of the Union address. I won't be there.
— Senator Chris Van Hollen (@ChrisVanHollen) February 18, 2026
Trump is marching America towards fascism, and I refuse to normalize his shredding of our Constitution & democracy.
This cannot be business as usual.https://t.co/6j9viBramH pic.twitter.com/htYu1SuhbD
Murphy said Trump has made “a mockery” of the State of the Union address, “taking a moment that is meant to bring the country together and turning it into a campaign rally to spew hatred and division.”
He added, “Democrats have no obligation to reward him with an audience as he lies and attacks people who disagree with him.”
Balint said the address “is meant to be a serious reflection of our nation’s progress, our shortfalls, and the common goals ahead of us.”
She added, “Instead of sitting through what has become Trump’s annual self-congratulation, misinformation, and division speech, I look forward to a night of standing with colleagues, organizers, advocates, and everyday Americans who are committed to doing the real and honest work of protecting our rights, strengthening our communities, and holding those in power accountable.”
White House response and history of protest at the address
The White House criticized the planned boycott. Spokeswoman Abigail Jackson said Democrats have opposed tax cuts and other Republican priorities, such as border security.
“It’s not a surprise that they refuse to celebrate and honor the Americans who have benefitted from the common sense policies Republicans have governed with,” she said.
The president’s opposing party traditionally delivers a formal response following the State of the Union. In recent years, however, some Democrats have also expressed dissent through boycotts, walkouts and other protests during Trump’s addresses to Congress.
During Trump’s joint address last year, Rep Al Green was removed from the House chamber after jeering.
Several Democrats walked out after Trump taunted Senator Elizabeth Warren and referred to her as “Pocahontas.” Others held signs reading “Save Medicaid” and “King” or skipped the speech entirely.
House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries said he intends to attend the upcoming address. “We’re not going to his house. He’s coming to our house, and it’s the people’s house,” Jeffries said. “And having grown up where I grew up, you never let anyone run you off your block.”