Administration opposes Maduro effort to dismiss charges

US prosecutors block former Venezuelan leader's bid to dismiss narco-t****rism case
Federal prosecutors are preventing the former Venezuelan leader from using sanctioned state money to fund his legal team in Brooklyn (Photo by Jesus Vargas/Getty Images)
Federal prosecutors are preventing the former Venezuelan leader from using sanctioned state money to fund his legal team in Brooklyn (Photo by Jesus Vargas/Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: The Trump administration formally opposed a request by deposed Venezuelan leader Nicolás Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores, to dismiss their federal criminal case on Friday, March 13.

The defendants argued last month that their right to mount a fair defense had been compromised because US sanctions prevented them from accessing funds to pay their legal fees.

In a court filing, federal prosecutors said the couple remains free to use personal funds to finance their defense, including jointly held assets.

However, the government maintained that US sanctions prohibit them from drawing on assets belonging to the Venezuelan state or other sanctioned government entities.

The Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) has granted a limited exception allowing the use of personal funds but not state-controlled resources.

Government labels defense assets slush fund

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent is seen at the White House, Friday, March 6, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
The US government argues that Maduro’s defense should be funded by personal assets rather than sanctioned state money, which it labels as a 'slush fund' (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

In its response to the court, the administration argued that Maduro and Flores were attempting to access funds tied to sanctioned Venezuelan government bodies.

Prosecutors said those assets remain restricted under the existing sanctions policy and cannot be used to finance the couple’s legal defense.

The filing also addressed earlier licensing decisions made by OFAC. Defense attorneys had pointed to approvals issued in January allowing certain payments for legal services.

Prosecutors said a broader authorization had been granted due to what they described as an "administrative error." The Treasury Department later amended the licenses to clarify that legal payments must come from personal funds rather than government-controlled accounts.

Decades of alleged d**g trafficking

SUEZ, EGYPT - MARCH 29: The container ship 'Ever Given' is refloated, unblocking the Suez Canal on M
Prosecutors claim Maduro’s regime partnered with violent d**g traffickers for years to move massive quantities of c***ine into the United States. (Getty Images)

The criminal indictment against Maduro and Flores alleges involvement in a long-running d**g trafficking conspiracy.

Prosecutors say Maduro and associates worked with armed criminal organizations to move large quantities of c***ine toward the United States.

Maduro faces a charge of narco-t****rism conspiracy, while both defendants are also charged with conspiracy to import c***ine. The case also includes allegations involving weapons offenses connected to the alleged trafficking network known as the "Cartel of the Suns," which prosecutors say operated with support from Venezuelan officials.

Deposed leader remains in federal custody

NEW YORK, NEW YORK - JULY 14: An exterior view of the Metropolitan Detention Center on July 14, 2020
Once the most powerful couple in Venezuela, Nicolás Maduro and Cilia Flores are now held in one of Brooklyn’s most notorious federal facilities (Getty Images)

Maduro and Flores were brought to the United States following a US military operation in Caracas earlier this year. Both defendants have pleaded not guilty and remain detained in New York while awaiting trial.

Defense lawyers argue that Venezuelan law requires the government to cover legal costs for the president and first lady, and they contend that blocking those funds interferes with Maduro’s constitutional right to counsel.

Prosecutors reject that claim, stating that sanctions policies were designed in part to limit access to state resources tied to the Venezuelan government.

The court is expected to consider the dispute over legal fees and the motion to dismiss during upcoming proceedings in Manhattan.

RELATED TOPICS US VENEZUELA GEOPOLITICAL CRISIS

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Republicans warn taxpayers could end up compensating January 6 defendants under the DOJ proposal
17 minutes ago
Ilhan Omar says Republicans were inflating the claims to secure TV appearances
33 minutes ago
Trump praised the 48-1 House committee vote advancing permanent daylight saving time as a boost for safety and savings
1 hour ago
President Trump said that the 14th Amendment's Citizenship Clause was meant for 'babies of slaves', not modern immigration cases
6 hours ago
The fund was created to compensate Americans allegedly targeted through 'lawfare' or politically motivated government action
6 hours ago
Donald Trump made it clear that he hoped to be there for the wedding ceremony and wished the couple well
7 hours ago
'The GOP's campaign was powered by data, amplified by social media, and enabled by ardent supporters at every level', the DNC report revealed
7 hours ago
Lauren Boebert's remarks stood out as many Republicans avoided criticizing Donald Trump after others faced political backlash
8 hours ago
'She allegedly committed marriage and immigration fraud to get her brother into this country', Nancy Mace wrote about Ilhan Omar
8 hours ago
'The president promoting his $1 billion request for White House security measures won't convert voters', Karl Rove said
9 hours ago