Canadian PM Mark Carney apologizes to Trump over Ronald Reagan ad that halted trade talks

Mark Carney apologized to Donald Trump at the APEC Summit after a Ronald Reagan-themed tariff ad sparked outrage, but trade talks remain stalled
UPDATED NOV 1, 2025
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney apologized to President Donald Trump during the APEC Summit after an ad featuring Ronald Reagan's speech disrupted trade talks between the nations (Alex Wong/Getty Images)
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney apologized to President Donald Trump during the APEC Summit after an ad featuring Ronald Reagan's speech disrupted trade talks between the nations (Alex Wong/Getty Images)


GYEONGJU, SOUTH KOREA: Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney told reporters on Saturday, November 1, that he had apologized to President Donald Trump over a political advertisement that led Trump to abruptly end trade talks between the two countries.

“I did apologize to the president. The president was offended by the ad. It’s not something I would have done which is to put in place that advertisement, and so I apologized to him,” Carney told reporters.

He also confirmed that the apology happened during the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation Summit. 

The Ontario government had produced the ad, which aired prominently in the United States, including during the World Series, and triggered a sharp backlash from Trump.

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney (L) and President Donald Trump meet with fellow G7 leaders at the G7 Leaders' Summit on June 16, 2025, in Kananaskis, Alberta (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney and President Donald Trump meet with fellow G7 leaders at the G7 Leaders' Summit on June 16, 2025, in Kananaskis, Alberta (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

Trump says trade talks unlikely to resume

Speaking to reporters aboard Air Force One after returning from South Korea, Trump confirmed Carney’s apology but said that the damage had been done.

“I like (Carney) a lot, but you know what they did was wrong. He was very nice," he said.



"He apologized for what they did with the commercial," Trump continued, but confirmed that they are unlikely to resume trade negotiations.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford said that his provincial government pulled the ad shortly after it aired, claiming it had already achieved its goal of sparking a conversation about US trade policy.

President Donald Trump greets Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney as he arrives at the West Wing of the White House on May 6, 2025, in Washington, DC (Alex Wong/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump greets Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney as he arrives at the West Wing of the White House on May 6, 2025, in Washington, DC (Alex Wong/Getty Images)

Ad reportedly used Ronald Reagan's speech without permission

The controversial advertisement featured audio from a 1987 speech by former President Ronald Reagan criticizing tariffs on foreign goods.

In the clip, Reagan warned that tariffs hurt “every American worker and consumer” and triggered fierce trade wars where "markets shrink and collapse, businesses and industries shut down, and millions of people lose their jobs."

After the ad’s broadcast, the Ronald Reagan Foundation said that it had reportedly not been contacted for permission to use the clip and also criticized the Ontario government for misrepresenting Reagan’s message.

UNDATED: (FILE PHOTO) Former U.S. President Ronald Reagan and First Lady Nancy Reagan share a moment in this undated file photo. Reagan turns 93 on February 6, 2004.(Photo courtesy of the Ronald Reagan Presidental Library/Getty Images)
Former President Ronald Reagan and First Lady Nancy Reagan share a moment (Ronald Reagan Presidential Library/Getty Images)

Trump has repeatedly dismissed the ad as “fake,” noting that it repurposed footage from Reagan’s 1987 remarks delivered ahead of a trade meeting with Japan’s prime minister, a move that reignited tensions just as Washington and Ottawa sought to restart trade negotiations.

During the Canadian PM’s visit to the US, Trump acknowledged that trade discussions with Canada are “more complicated” than those they have with any other nation. He cited competing business interests and close geographical proximity.

Yet the president expressed optimism, saying, “I want Canada to do well,” specifically referencing the auto manufacturing sector.

U.S. President Donald Trump (R) meets with Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney in the Oval Office at the White House on May 6, 2025 in Washington, DC. Carney, who was elected into office last week, is expected to meet with President Trump to discuss trade and the recent tariffs imposed on Canada. (Photo by Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump meets with Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney in the Oval Office at the White House on May 6, 2025, in Washington, DC (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

When asked why Canada and the US had failed to reach an agreement, the president said, "It is a complicated agreement. More complicated than any other agreement we have on trade." 

"We have natural conflict. We also have mutual love. I love Canada and the people of Canada... We don't want to compete. It is a natural business conflict. We have come a long way in the last few months," Trump added. 

During the visit, Trump had praised the Canadian prime minister. Carney also returned Trump’s praise by underscoring Canada’s support for peace and security efforts.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

'We may have to take it a step further, or we may not. Maybe we’re going to make a deal,' Trump said
5 hours ago
President Donald Trump outlined a multinational framework aimed at rebuilding Gaza, though key details on fund allocation remained unclear
6 hours ago
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said, 'We understand the public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time'
7 hours ago
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office, a charge carrying a potential life sentence under UK law
7 hours ago
US military buildup heightens strike fears as nuclear negotiations near breaking point
1 day ago
'I believe Iranians are expected to come back to us with some more details in the next couple of weeks', Karoline Leavitt said
1 day ago
Cardinal Pietro Parolin said the Holy See will not join, stressing that 'at the international level it should above all be the UN that manages these'
1 day ago
Oman mediates Iran-US nuclear talks as Tehran balances compromise with confrontation
2 days ago
Trump says nations pledge funds, personnel to end Gaza conflict
4 days ago
'We're dealing with people who make political, geopolitical decisions on the basis of pure theology, and it's a complicated thing', Rubio said
4 days ago