CBS' Bari Weiss justifies removing '60 Minutes' Salvadoran prison report in new Christmas memo

Editor-in-Chief Bari Weiss issued a Christmas Eve memo urging staff to 'win back' the public's trust and prioritize fairness over controversy
CBS News Editor-in-Chief Bari Weiss's email was co-signed by News President Tom Cibrowski and senior editors, reflecting unified support for her decision (Getty Images)
CBS News Editor-in-Chief Bari Weiss's email was co-signed by News President Tom Cibrowski and senior editors, reflecting unified support for her decision (Getty Images)

NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK: CBS News Editor-in-Chief Bari Weiss, once again defended her decision not to air the '60 Minutes' segment about the El Salvador prison in a Christmas memo to her colleagues on Christmas Eve, Wednesday, December 24.

As per a copy obtained by the New York Post, Weiss explained to her news staff that she wanted to restore people’s trust in the press, adding that they also needed to work hard to gain back the public’s trust.  

NEW YORK, NY - SEPTEMBER 13: The CBS Broadcast Center stands in Manhattan on September 13, 2018 in New York City. The popular television network has been under scrutiny since allegations of sexual misconduct forced out Jeff Fager, the longtime executive producer of
The CBS Broadcast Center stands in Manhattan on September 13, 2018, in New York City (Spencer Platt/Getty Images)

Bari Weiss indicates 'Inside CECOT' was pulled to win back public trust 

The New York Post obtained an email sent by Bari Weiss on Wednesday, and co-signed by CBS News President Tom Cibrowski, former Wall Street Journal Deputy Editor Charles Forelle, and former New York Times Opinion Editor Adam Rubenstein. 

The email discussed Weiss’s decision to pull the ‘60 Minutes’ segment that earned her backlash from her colleagues, the justification of which the CBS editor-in-chief had previously provided as well.

In the latest email, Weiss doubled down on her claims, noting that she pulled the story to "win back" the public’s trust. She added that they needed to ensure that the subject they were talking about was “comprehensive and fair.”

The Free Press' Honestly with Bari Weiss (pictured) hosts Senator Ted Cruz presented by Uber and X on January 18, 2025 in Washington, DC. (Leigh Vogel/Getty Images for Uber, X and The Free Press)
The Free Press' Honestly with Bari Weiss (pictured) hosts Senator Ted Cruz, presented by Uber and X on January 18, 2025, in Washington, DC (Leigh Vogel/Getty Images for Uber, X and The Free Press)

She also said that such decisions could “cause a firestorm,” especially during slow weeks, and would feel “controversial to those used to doing things one way.” 

The CBS editor-in-chief also wrote that “no amount of outrage” would derail the organization, regardless of who it was from.

She said that CBS was not out to “score points” from political parties or gain followers online.

“We are out to inform the American public and to get the story right,” she added. 

AUSTIN, TEXAS - NOVEMBER 09: Sharyn Alfonsi, Correspondent, 60 Minutes reacts in conversation with José Andrés, Chef, Humanitarian & Founder, World Central Kitchen during 2022 Texas Conference For Women at Austin Convention Center on November 09, 2022 in Austin, Texas. (Photo by Marla Aufmuth/Getty Images for Texas Conference for Women)
Sharyn Alfonsi, Correspondent, '60 Minutes', reacts in conversation with José Andrés, Chef, Humanitarian & Founder, World Central Kitchen during the 2022 Texas Conference For Women at Austin Convention Center on November 09, 2022, in Austin, Texas (Marla Aufmuth/Getty Images for Texas Conference for Women)

Sharyn Alfonsi claims the removal of 'Inside CECOT' was political

The ‘60 Minutes’ segment was set to air on Sunday. The segment provided a closer look at the Trump administration deporting hundreds of Venezuelan men to a prison in El Salvador.

According to the correspondent leading the story, Sharyn Alfonsi, the segment had been screened and approved by the attorneys and editors.

Alfonsi claimed that Weiss’s decision to push the piece to a later date was political, and Tanya Simon, the executive producer of ‘60 Minutes’, reportedly echoed her thoughts. 

However, Weiss denied Alfonsi’s claims, noting that the piece was not ready. She argued that the same thing had been reported on by multiple organizations and that if they were going to report on something from two months ago, they needed “more.” 

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Bill Maher said America should return to 'stealing hard-working, talented immigrants from around the world and making them Americans'
2 days ago
Joe Rogan blasted the plan, calling the $100,000 monthly price tag 'crazy' and suggesting it was essentially a cash grab
4 days ago
Joe Rogan joked about how the press might have reacted and imagined how Trump could respond if the aircraft had been attacked
5 days ago
Tucker Carlson previously accused Hunter and Joe Biden of corruption and criticized Hunter's overseas business dealings
7 days ago
Bill Maher criticized Wisconsin Democrat Francesca Hong over remarks about her biracial son and her 'proximity to whiteness'
Aug 9, 2026
Megyn Kelly took particular issue with Whoopi Goldberg appearing to suggest that she understood the 'plight of working people'
Aug 7, 2026
Madeleine Carlisle exited amid major staff upheaval, as key correspondents and editors departed in cuts staff reportedly dubbed 'Black Thursday'
Aug 5, 2026
While the internet was busy searching for a political message, Torres appears to have been thinking about something considerably less complicated
Aug 4, 2026
The claim gained traction as New York City continues to debate expanding publicly-supported grocery initiatives under Mamdani
Aug 1, 2026
The Trump ally said JD Vance's ceasefire deal trapped the administration in a cycle of talks, Iranian violations ,and US retaliatory strikes
Jul 31, 2026