CBS slams Trump's editing allegations as 'false' in drama over Kamala Harris' '60 Minutes' interview

CBS News statement reminded readers that Donald Trump pulled out of his interview with '60 Minutes' and Kamala Harris participated
CBS News has responded to allegations from Donald Trump that the show '60 Minutes' deceitfully edited an interview with Vice President Kamala Harris (Getty Images)
CBS News has responded to allegations from Donald Trump that the show '60 Minutes' deceitfully edited an interview with Vice President Kamala Harris (Getty Images)

NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK: CBS News slammed GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump for his claim that '60 Minutes' deceitfully edited the interview with rival Kamala Harris and dismissed the allegation as 'false' in a statement released on Sunday, October 20.

The outlet published a statement and addressed the outrage that took off after it aired two different answers to the same question in the '60 Minutes' interview earlier in October with Harris, per Fox News.

CBS slams Donald Trump's editing allegations as 'false'

The statement by CBS read, "Former President Donald Trump is accusing 60 Minutes of deceitful editing of our Oct. 7 interview with Vice President Kamala Harris. That is false."

It continued, "60 Minutes gave an excerpt of our interview to ‘Face the Nation’ that used a longer section of her answer than that on 60 Minutes. Same question. Same answer. But a different portion of the response."

DETROIT, MICHIGAN - OCTOBER 10: Republican presidential nominee, former U.S. President Donald Trump, speaks at the Detroit Economic Club on October 10, 2024 in Detroit, Michigan. Michigan is considered a key battleground state in the upcoming presidential election, holding 15 electoral votes. (Photo by Bill Pugliano/Getty Images)
Donald Trump's campaign denied that it had accepted the invitation for the interview by CBS News (Bill Pugliano/Getty Images)

The statement further added, "When we edit any interview, whether a politician, an athlete, or movie star, we strive to be clear, accurate and on point. The portion of her answer on 60 Minutes was more succinct, which allows time for other subjects in a wide-ranging 21-minute-long segment."

The statement by CBS reminded readers that Trump "pulled out of his interview with '60 Minutes' and the vice president participated." However, the Trump campaign denied that it had accepted the invitation for the interview.

The statement further read, "Our long-standing invitation to former President Trump remains open. If he would like to discuss the issues facing the nation and the Harris interview, we would be happy to have him on 60 Minutes."

Donald Trump's camp responds to CBS News' statement

The Trump campaign responded to CBS News' statement and continued its call on the network to release the transcript. CBS has yet to release an unedited video or full transcript of the interview. 

The Trump camp said, "60 Minutes just admitted to doing exactly what President Trump accused them of doing. They edited in a different response - from another part of her answer - to make Kamala Harris sound less incoherent than she really was. Their statement is not a denial, it is an admission that they did exactly what they were accused of."

(Alex Wong/Getty Images)
Donald Trump had earlier criticized the CBS interview and called for it to be taken off-air (Alex Wong/Getty Images)

It added, "This is another reminder of how hopelessly biased 60 Minutes is, and how correct President Trump was to decline their invitation to be subjected to their fake news hackery. Release the Transcript!"

Trump had earlier on Sunday, October 20, criticized the CBS interview and called for it to be taken off-air during a sit-down interview with Fox News' Howard Kurtz.

He said, "I've never seen anything like it. She gave a horrible, incompetent answer on a news program… and so she gives an answer that shows that she's dumb or incompetent or something's wrong with her."

The former president added, "It's so bad that the people at CBS say we're going to do a little editing… They take the whole ridiculous answer out, and it was a long answer and replace it with a much shorter answer that you had to do with a totally different subject, which also didn't make sense, but it wasn't as incompetent."

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

DHS Secretary Markwayne Mullin said Carlos Felipe Jaramillo-Grajales’ fraud highlights the need to protect election integrity and national security
33 minutes ago
Jon Ossoff accused Donald Trump of neglecting deployed service members while being surrounded by sycophants who enable him
1 hour ago
Donald Trump cited the White House's security and space limits as he made the case for a new facility ahead of Xi Jinping's visit
2 hours ago
Donald Trump said North Korea’s leader may be open to renewed engagement, reviving hopes for a fresh meeting after years of stalled diplomacy
3 hours ago
'While the sailors on the Lincoln fight his war, he fruitlessly drains our munitions and oil reserves, sleeps through his meetings', Jon Ossoff said
8 hours ago
Federal filings showed Lautenberg had donated hundreds of thousands to Democratic causes over a decade, including Harris and Clinton's campaigns
8 hours ago
Jared Kushner and Benjamin Netanyahu agreed to create working groups on Hamas' disarmament and Gaza's humanitarian crisis after four hours of talks
9 hours ago
'The Strait is open, oil prices are coming down, and they will continue to come down unless we decide to do something far more drastic', Trump said
9 hours ago
Trump appears in no hurry to replace Leavitt, despite allies pushing their preferred candidates, as he has already mapped out how the job will be handled
10 hours ago
Trump repeatedly told CNN reporter Kristen Holmes to be quiet after she pressed him on North Korea, triggering a White House rebuke
10 hours ago