Cole Allen says he is ‘not a danger’ despite Trump assassination attempt charges in WHCD shooting

Cole Allen's attorneys argued he carried a pump-action shotgun, not a weapon typically associated with modern mass attacks
Cole Allen, 31, is accused of attempting to assassinate President Donald Trump during the White House Correspondents’ Dinner (Cole Allen/LinkedIn)
Cole Allen, 31, is accused of attempting to assassinate President Donald Trump during the White House Correspondents’ Dinner (Cole Allen/LinkedIn)

WASHINGTON, DC: The man accused of attempting to assassinate Donald Trump during the White House Correspondents’ Dinner is now at the center of fresh controversy after his legal team argued he should be released, claiming he is “not a danger to anybody.”

The argument, made in court filings and during a brief hearing this week, has raised eyebrows given the severity of the charges against 31-year-old Cole Allen.

Allen is facing multiple federal charges, including attempting to assassinate the president, after allegedly storming a Secret Service checkpoint while heavily armed during Saturday’s high-profile event.



Cole Allen’s legal team insists he is not a threat

In an 11-page filing submitted Wednesday, April 29, Allen’s attorneys pushed back against the government’s portrayal of the incident.

“Mr Allen has no criminal history - not even prior arrests, which alone would rebut the presumption of detention,” his lawyers wrote.

The WHCD shooting suspect, Cole Thomas Allen, worked as a tutor with C2 Education from 2020. (Photo: C2Education)
The WHCD shooting suspect, Cole Thomas Allen, worked as a tutor with C2 Education from 2020 (C2Education)

They also argued that the case had been exaggerated, particularly claims that he was preparing for a mass shooting.

“The government’s rhetoric about a ‘mass shooting’ is also unsupported by its own proffered facts,” the filing stated.

According to the defense, Allen was carrying a pump-action shotgun, not an automatic or semi-automatic weapon, which they argued does not fit the profile of what they described as a “modern-day mass shooting.”

Prosecutors highlight weapons and chilling evidence

Federal authorities, however, have painted a very different picture of the incident.

Prosecutors say Allen was armed with a fully loaded 12-gauge Mossberg Maverick shotgun with an extended magazine tube when he attempted to breach security at the Washington Hilton.

Court documents also included a selfie taken by Allen before the attack, showing him armed with a .38 Super-caliber semi-automatic handgun and multiple knives.



The image, taken in his hotel room, was described as chilling by prosecutors and used to support their argument that Allen posed a serious threat.

Authorities have also pointed out that shotguns have been used in multiple mass shootings in the past, directly countering the defense’s claim that his weapon made the situation less dangerous.

Defense shifts stance during court hearing

Despite initially pushing for his release, Allen’s legal team appeared to walk back that position during a court hearing on Thursday.

“At this time, we are conceding detention,” defense attorney Tezira Abe told the court.

However, she left the door open for the issue to be revisited later, indicating that the defense may seek bail again at a future stage.

Abe also requested that Allen be moved out of a “safe cell,” where he has reportedly been held under 24-hour lockdown since the incident.

Even as the defense conceded detention for now, Abe maintained that Allen was not “of danger to anybody.”

Allen himself made a brief appearance in court, dressed in an orange jumpsuit and speaking only to say “Good morning” to the judge.

Dispute over intent and charges continues

A key point of contention in the case remains whether Allen specifically intended to target Trump.

Prosecutors have argued that a manifesto allegedly sent by Allen indicates a broader intent to kill members of the Trump administration.

However, his legal team disputes that interpretation.

“The government’s evidence of the charged offense - the attempted assassination of the president - is thus built entirely upon speculation,” his attorneys wrote.

Members of law enforcement control shooting suspect Cole Tomas Allen during the White House Correspondents Dinner, Saturday, April 25, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon) ADDITION: Adds name of shooting suspect after name shared by law enforcement officials
Members of law enforcement control shooting suspect Cole Tomas Allen during the White House Correspondents Dinner, Saturday, April 25, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

They added that while the note may suggest hostility toward administration officials, it does not clearly single out Trump as the target.

The defense also described Allen as a respected member of his community, calling him “a devout Christian” and “a loved and respected teacher and colleague” who had shown “kindness, empathy, and compassion, and never violence.”

Still, prosecutors are pushing to keep him detained ahead of trial, citing the seriousness of the charges. Allen has not yet entered a plea, and additional legal battles are expected as the case moves forward.

RELATED TOPICS WHITE HOUSE CORRESPONDENTS’ DINNER

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Carly Kimmel was accused of complaining about Spencer Pratt-themed baked goods sold at Vicente Foods, a 78-year-old grocery store in Brentwood
3 hours ago
Judge Mary Kay Vyskocil dismissed Michael Wolff’s case after criticizing both sides over legal tactics in court disputes
4 hours ago
In another post, Trump unloaded on Stephen Colbert, calling him a 'total jerk' with 'no talent, no ratings, no life'
5 hours ago
Among those in the most serious condition are firefighters and first responders
5 hours ago
911 audio captured a call for an ambulance after Kyle Busch suffered a medical emergency in Concord on Wednesday evening, May 20
12 hours ago
FCC issues notice challenging 2002 exemption, threatens equal time for political candidates
13 hours ago
While Robert De Niro took aim at Donald Trump over the Epstein files, Bruce Springsteen criticized the president for not being able to 'take a joke'
23 hours ago
A 17-year-old teen, with his 18-year-old accomplice, allegedly carried out a deadly attack at the Islamic Center on May 18, killing three people before claiming their lives while fleeing the scene
23 hours ago
Omar questioned Trump’s priorities after he said Iran tensions could affect plans for his son’s wedding attendance
1 day ago
Kyle Busch won two NASCAR Cup titles, 234 national series races, and held all-time wins records in the Xfinity and Truck Series
1 day ago