Judge throws out Michael Wolff lawsuit over Melania Trump claims amid ‘tactical gamesmanship’

Judge Mary Kay Vyskocil dismissed Michael Wolff’s case after criticizing both sides over legal tactics in court disputes
According to court filings, Michael Wolff sued Melania Trump after her attorney warned of possible legal action over his comments (Getty Images)
According to court filings, Michael Wolff sued Melania Trump after her attorney warned of possible legal action over his comments (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: A federal judge dismissed author Michael Wolff’s lawsuit against First Lady Melania Trump, that his attempt to block a threatened $1 billion defamation lawsuit was an improper use of the courts.

Judge Mary Kay Vyskocil, presiding in federal court in Manhattan, criticized both sides for what she described as “tactical gamesmanship” while dismissing Wolff’s anti-SLAPP lawsuit tied to statements involving the late financier Jeffrey Epstein.

Judge dismisses Michael Wolff lawsuit against Melania Trump

The ruling represented a legal victory for Melania Trump after months of escalating court disputes surrounding Wolff’s public comments and media appearances.

Author Michael Wolff steps on stage to discuss his controversial book on the Trump administration titled
Author Michael Wolff discussed his book 'Fire and Fury' during an appearance in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on January 16, 2018 (Jessica Kourkounis/Getty Images)

Judge Mary Kay Vyskocil in federal court in Manhattan chided both sides for an “inappropriate level of tactical gamesmanship” and said she “will not be conscripted to oversee an abusively presented spat.”

Vyskocil, who was appointed by President Donald Trump, agreed that Wolff and the first lady “have a real dispute,” but said “they must litigate it according to the same procedures as everyone else.”

The judge also suggested Wolff was attempting to gain procedural advantages by choosing a favorable court venue, with reports describing the lawsuit as an example of “forum shopping.”

Wolff sued Melania Trump last October after her lawyer, Alejandro Brito, wrote him a letter saying she would be “left with no alternative” but to sue him unless he retracted statements the lawyer said had caused her “overwhelming reputational and financial harm.”

U.S. first lady Melania Trump enters the The Mike Mansfield Room before speaking during a roundtable discussion on the
First Lady Melania Trump spoke during a roundtable discussion on the 'Take It Down Act' at the US Capitol on March 3, 2025, in Washington, DC (Kayla Bartkowski/Getty Images)

Wolff filed the lawsuit in state court in New York. Brito then took the case to federal court. In her 45-page decision, Vyskocil wrote that while federal court has jurisdiction, she was declining to exercise that jurisdiction and “dismisses this case to be litigated like any other.”

Melania Trump denies allegations linking her to Epstein

Nick Clemens, a spokesperson for Melania Trump, said she “is proud to continue standing up to, and fighting against, those who spread malicious and defamatory falsehoods as they desperately try to get undeserved attention and money from their unlawful conduct.”

In April, Melania Trump made a statement at the White House denying allegations linking her to Epstein.

Reading prepared remarks, the first lady said she and her lawyers were fighting back against “unfound and baseless lies” that suggested she had ties to Epstein.

“The lies linking me with the disgraceful Jeffrey Epstein need to end today,” Melania Trump said.

Donald Trump, his wife Melania Trump, and the late financier Jeffrey Epstein and his longtime partner Ghislaine Maxwell (Getty Images)
Donald Trump, Melania Trump, Jeffrey Epstein, and Ghislaine Maxwell were previously photographed together at a social event (Getty Images)

“The individuals lying about me are devoid of ethical standards, humility and respect. I do not object to their ignorance, but rather I reject their mean-spirited attempts to defame my reputation.”

In his lawsuit, Wolff argued that the Trumps “have made a practice of threatening those who speak against them” with costly legal actions “to silence their speech, to intimidate their critics generally, and to extract unjustified payments and North Korean style confessions and apologies.”

He said the threats were “designed to create a climate of fear in the nation so that people cannot freely or confidently exercise their First Amendment rights.”

Wolff has published a dozen books, including four bestsellers about President Donald Trump.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Carly Kimmel was accused of complaining about Spencer Pratt-themed baked goods sold at Vicente Foods, a 78-year-old grocery store in Brentwood
10 minutes ago
In another post, Trump unloaded on Stephen Colbert, calling him a 'total jerk' with 'no talent, no ratings, no life'
2 hours ago
Among those in the most serious condition are firefighters and first responders
3 hours ago
911 audio captured a call for an ambulance after Kyle Busch suffered a medical emergency in Concord on Wednesday evening, May 20
9 hours ago
FCC issues notice challenging 2002 exemption, threatens equal time for political candidates
10 hours ago
While Robert De Niro took aim at Donald Trump over the Epstein files, Bruce Springsteen criticized the president for not being able to 'take a joke'
20 hours ago
A 17-year-old teen, with his 18-year-old accomplice, allegedly carried out a deadly attack at the Islamic Center on May 18, killing three people before claiming their lives while fleeing the scene
20 hours ago
Omar questioned Trump’s priorities after he said Iran tensions could affect plans for his son’s wedding attendance
22 hours ago
Kyle Busch won two NASCAR Cup titles, 234 national series races, and held all-time wins records in the Xfinity and Truck Series
1 day ago
Prosecutors said Aimee Bock and co-defendant Salim Said falsely claimed to serve 91 million meals while using federal funds for lavish spending
1 day ago