Dem Adam Smith claims boat strike footage disproves GOP narrative as 'ridiculous'

Smith called strike video ‘deeply disturbing’ as he claimed that survivors were unarmed and adrift, contradicting claims they had tried to fight back
Rep Adam Smith claimed the video of the September 2 boat strike proved Republican accounts of the incident false as he urged its release (Getty Images)
Rep Adam Smith claimed the video of the September 2 boat strike proved Republican accounts of the incident false as he urged its release (Getty Images)


WASHINGTON, DC: The top Democrat on the House Armed Services Committee declared on Sunday, December 7, that surveillance video of a controversial US military strike would completely dismantle the Republican narrative if released to the public.

Representative Adam Smith (D-Wash), one of the reportedly few lawmakers to have viewed the footage of the September 2 strike on an alleged t*******ing vessel, appeared on ABC's 'This Week' to push back against claims made by the administration.

Smith described the video of the second strike, which allegedly killed two survivors, as "deeply disturbing" and insisted it contradicted descriptions provided by Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and Senator Tom Cotton.

Representative Adam Smith (D-Wash) (Getty Images)
Rep Adam Smith called the classified video 'deeply disturbing' and urged the administration to release it (Getty Images)

Clashing narratives over survivors' intent

"When they [the survivors] were finally taken out, they weren’t trying to flip the boat over. The boat was clearly incapacitated," Smith said.

"They had no communications device. Certainly, they were unarmed. Any claim that the d***s had somehow survived that attack is hard, hard to really square with what we saw," he added.

Smith’s account stands in stark contrast to the version of events offered by GOP leaders.



Senator Tom Cotton, who also viewed the footage, previously told reporters he saw "two survivors trying to flip a boat loaded with d***s... back over so they could stay in the fight."

Secretary Hegseth also defended the "double tap" strike at the Reagan National Defense Forum on Saturday, claiming that he was told there was "access to radios" and a potential link-up with another boat.

BRUSSELS, BELGIUM - FEBRUARY 13: US Secretary of Defence Pete Hegseth speaks during a joint press conference held with NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte during the NATO Defense Ministers' meeting on February 13, 2025 in Brussels, Belgium. NATO Defence Ministers are convening in Brussels for a meeting chaired by NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte. Also in attendance is US Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, marking the first visit to NATO by a member of the new Trump administration. High on the agenda for the allies will be ascertaining how the US intends to influence the trajectory of the war in Ukraine, as the conflict nears the third anniversary since Russia's full-scale invasion. (Photo by Omar Havana/Getty Images)
Secretary Hegseth claims the survivors had access to radios and were attempting to 'stay in the fight' (Omar Havana/Getty Images)

When asked about Hegseth's comments, Smith was blunt, "That's ridiculous. There are no radios."

"The boat was adrift. It was going where the current was going to take it, and these two were trying to figure out how to survive," Smith argued.

Trump administration stalls on video release

While President Trump previously stated the administration would have "no problem" releasing the video, Hegseth struck a more cautious tone on Saturday, citing the need to be "very responsible."

Smith argued that the hesitation speaks volumes.

"It seems pretty clear they don't want to release this video because they don't want people to see it, because it's very, very difficult to justify," Smith said.

Texas U.S. Army soldiers prepare to load military vehicles onto trains en route to Washington D.C., from Fort Cavazos on May 21, 2025 in Killeen, Texas. The U.S. Army is preparing to send 150 military vehicles from Texas to Washington D.C. for the 250th anniversary June Military Parade. (Photo by Brandon Bell/Getty Images)
Democrats argue that releasing the footage would prove that the survivors were unarmed and drifting (Brandon Bell/Getty Images)

Senator Eric Schmitt defends the legality of strikes

In a separate interview on 'This Week,' Senator Eric Schmitt (R-Mo) defended the administration's actions, though he admitted he has not seen the specific video in question.

Schmitt argued that President Trump is acting within his Article II powers to target "n****-t********s" now that cartels have moved operations to the high seas.

"No serious legal expert would doubt that the president has authority to blow n****-t********s out of the water," Schmitt asserted.

Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt (NBC news)
Senator Eric Schmitt defended the strikes as a lawful exercise of the President's Article II powers (NBC News)

He cited a classified 40-page memo from the Office of Legal Counsel (OLC) that allegedly authorizes the strikes, though Democrats have demanded the document be made public.

Smith warned that such a broad definition of "legitimate target" sets a dangerous precedent.

"If you say anyone who has d***s... is a legitimate target for deadly force, the amount of power that gives the president and the US military is unprecedented," Smith cautioned.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

English acknowledged that he had traveled to Washington with the intention of killing a government official
1 hour ago
Zimmerman rejected the suggestion that the blow happened merely as part of a struggle with security
2 hours ago
The store, described as a family-owned operation, was left dealing with the consequences after the crowd departed
4 hours ago
Disney has sued the FCC over early ABC license reviews, alleging retaliation by the Trump administration and warning that scrutiny is affecting political programming
4 hours ago
An 11-year-old boy criticized Donald Trump and referenced Jeffrey Epstein as he explained his anger toward the president in the widely shared footage
10 hours ago
'Hes with me every day even when I’m not thinking about him, he’s certainly part of my heart,' Jill Biden shared
11 hours ago
Melania Trump’s diplomatic outreach has focused on children separated from loved ones during the Russia-Ukraine war, using back-channel communication
12 hours ago
Hunter Tirpak stole the spotlight at Donald Trump’s 2016 Pennsylvania rally after arriving dressed as a miniature Trump and being picked up by him
13 hours ago
Rep Nancy Mace showcased nine tattoos, including religious imagery and a Virginia Woolf quote, after previously keeping much of the ink covered
15 hours ago
Ryder Williams gained national attention after rescuing a 10-year-old boy from rough surf while working as a lifeguard at Seabright State Beach
17 hours ago