'My baby brother': Sister honors slain soldier Robert Marzan as ‘strong leader’ amid Iran war death

Gavin Newsom and Eleni Kounalakis also honored Robert Marzan as a courageous Californian who served the nation with distinction
Chief Warrant Officer 3 Robert M Marzan, a US Army Reserve soldier from Sacramento, was among six American service members killed in a drone strike on a command center in Port Shuaiba, Kuwait (Facebook / Elizabeth Marzan)
Chief Warrant Officer 3 Robert M Marzan, a US Army Reserve soldier from Sacramento, was among six American service members killed in a drone strike on a command center in Port Shuaiba, Kuwait (Facebook / Elizabeth Marzan)

SACRAMENTO, CALIFORNIA: Chief Warrant Officer 3 Robert M Marzan, a US Army Reserve member from Sacramento, was among six American service members killed in a drone strike on a command center in Kuwait amid the escalating conflict involving Iran.

As tributes poured in following his death, Marzan’s family remembered him as a devoted husband, father and brother, with his sister sharing an emotional message honoring what she described as her “baby brother.”

Officials said the attack occurred on March 1 in Port Shuaiba, Kuwait, a day after the United States and Israel launched a military campaign against Iran, prompting retaliatory missile and drone attacks across the region.



Family mourns ‘baby brother’

Robert Marzan’s sister, Elizabeth Marzan, paid tribute to him in a Facebook post, describing him as a strong leader and devoted family member.

“My baby brother, you are loved and I will hold onto all our memories and cherish them always in my heart,” Elizabeth Marzan wrote. Marzan’s family remembered him as a loving husband, father and brother.



Marzan is survived by his wife and family.

California Gov Gavin Newsom and acting Gov Eleni Kounalakis also offered condolences to his wife and family in a joint statement. “California mourns the loss of Chief Warrant Officer Three Marzan, a courageous Californian whose service to our nation was marked by honor and distinction. We offer our deepest condolences to his wife and family during this time of profound sorrow. The sacrifices made by military families are immeasurable, and California stands in solidarity with them, united in grief and gratitude. Chief Warrant Officer Three Marzan’s steadfast commitment exemplifies the highest ideals of our state and our country.”



Six US service members killed

According to the Pentagon, Marzan, 54, was stationed at a command center in Port Shuaiba when a drone struck the facility, killing six Army Reserve members assigned to logistics operations.

The Pentagon said Marzan is believed to have “perished at the scene,” though a medical examiner will confirm his identification.

Marzan served with Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 103rd Sustainment Command (Expeditionary), a US Army Reserve unit based in Des Moines, responsible for ensuring troops overseas receive food, fuel, water, ammunition and equipment.

The Pentagon also identified Maj Jeffrey O’Brien, 45, of Indianola, Iowa, as another soldier killed in the strike.



The four previously identified victims were Sgt Declan Coady, 20, of West Des Moines, Iowa; Sgt 1st Class Nicole Amor, 39, of White Bear Lake, Minnesota; Capt Cody Khork, 35, of Winter Haven, Florida, and Sgt 1st Class Noah Tietjens, 42, of Bellevue, Nebraska.



The soldiers were working at a logistics command center when the drone strike hit the facility.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

JD Vance served in the US Marine Corps from 2003 to 2007 as a combat correspondent with the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing
4 hours ago
Preston Harp said Natalie Harp’s admiration for Donald Trump stems from their upbringing and the values their mother taught them
6 hours ago
Loomer’s strongest objection was directed at the suggestion that Harp and Trump are romantically involved
11 hours ago
The suspect was also reportedly refused service at a Dunkin’ while wearing the unusual mask
12 hours ago
English acknowledged that he had traveled to Washington with the intention of killing a government official
13 hours ago
Zimmerman rejected the suggestion that the blow happened merely as part of a struggle with security
14 hours ago
The store, described as a family-owned operation, was left dealing with the consequences after the crowd departed
16 hours ago
Disney has sued the FCC over early ABC license reviews, alleging retaliation by the Trump administration and warning that scrutiny is affecting political programming
16 hours ago
An 11-year-old boy criticized Donald Trump and referenced Jeffrey Epstein as he explained his anger toward the president in the widely shared footage
23 hours ago
'Hes with me every day even when I’m not thinking about him, he’s certainly part of my heart,' Jill Biden shared
23 hours ago