Diddy pal claims he was ‘seconds from death’ when inmate threatened him with knife to his throat

Diddy's pal Charlucci Finney described the incident as an intimidation attempt, warning of the continued risk to the rapper in jail
PUBLISHED OCT 23, 2025
Diddy reportedly faced a life-threatening moment in Brooklyn jail (Getty Images)
Diddy reportedly faced a life-threatening moment in Brooklyn jail (Getty Images)

BROOKLYN, NEW YORK: Sean “Diddy” Combs narrowly escaped a life-threatening situation inside New York’s Metropolitan Detention Center after an inmate allegedly entered his cell and held a makeshift knife to his throat, according to his longtime friend Charlucci Finney.

Finney, who has known the 55-year-old music mogul for over three decades, told Daily Mail that Diddy “woke up with a knife to his throat” during the chilling incident. He believes the confrontation was meant as a warning rather than an attempt to kill the rapper. 

Sean Combs is seen on October 30, 2023, in Los Angeles, California (Hollywood To You/Star Max/GC Images)
Diddy is seen on October 30, 2023, in Los Angeles, California (Hollywood To You/Star Max/GC Images)

Diddy reportedly faced a knife threat inside prison

“If this guy had wanted to harm him, Sean would have been harmed. It would only take a second to cut his throat with a weapon and kill him,” Finney said, adding that Diddy’s life inside the notorious Brooklyn facility remains in danger.

Finney revealed that an inmate armed with a “shiv,” a makeshift blade, managed to sneak into Diddy’s cell, getting close enough to threaten his life.

“He woke up with a knife to his throat,” Finney said. “I don’t know whether he fought him off or the guards came, I just know that it happened.”

The incident reportedly took place inside the Metropolitan Detention Center (MDC), known for its overcrowding, violence, and lack of enough staff. Finney said Diddy’s high profile and current charges make him a target for intimidation.

MIAMI, FLORIDA - FEBRUARY 01: Diddy attends the MCM x Rolling Pre-Super Bowl Event at SLS Miami on F
Diddy attends the MCM x Rolling Pre-Super Bowl Event at SLS Miami on February 02, 2020 in Miami, Florida (Eugene Gologursky/Getty Images for MCM) 
      

“It was probably a way to say, ‘Next time you ain’t gonna be so lucky.’ Everything is intimidation. But with Sean, it won’t work. Sean is from Harlem.”

Concerns grow over Diddy’s safety behind bars

Finney, 60, who has been an outspoken supporter of the rapper, said he’s deeply concerned about his friend’s safety.

“If the inmate had wanted to harm him, it would only take a second to cut his throat,” he said. “Sean has kept a lot of this stuff to himself because he doesn’t want to worry his family.”

Diddy’s lawyers have raised concerns about threats of violence in court, including reports that another inmate attempted to attack him to gain “prestige.”

The Grammy-winning producer has been held at the Brooklyn facility for over a year, where his defense team argues he faces “inhumane conditions,” including poor sanitation, lack of sunlight, and overcrowding.

Diddy’s legal team has urged Judge Arun Subramanian to recommend his transfer to a lower-security facility, FCI Fort Dix in New Jersey, where he could participate in rehabilitation programs and be closer to family.

Finney said a move would provide “massive relief” and peace of mind for those worried about the rap icon’s safety. “If you’re in jail and you’ve been charged with anything like this, it’s not a good place to be,” he explained.

WASHINGTON, DC - MARCH 28: U.S. President Donald Trump walks towards Marine One on the South Lawn of the White House on March 28, 2025 in Washington, DC. Trump is headed to Mar-a-lago in Palm Beach, Florida for the weekend. (Photo by Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump walks towards Marine One on the South Lawn of the White House on March 28, 2025 in Washington, DC (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)

Earlier this week, the White House denied rumors that President Donald Trump was preparing to commute Diddy’s sentence, calling the claims “fake news.” The denial came shortly after Diddy’s lawyers filed an appeal against his conviction and sentencing.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Duvall earned 7 Oscar nods, won for 'Tender Mercies,' leaving a lasting film and TV legacy
10 hours ago
Gordon Ramsay said infatuation may be clouding judgment, noting that 'love is blind' and that time would ultimately heal the family divide
2 days ago
High-profile supporters including Zoe Saldana, Derek Hough and Steven Spielberg donated thousands, pushing the total past $2 million
2 days ago
The brief exchange unfolded on social media days after Bryan criticized Turning Point USA’s alternative halftime event
2 days ago
Allison Holker shared romantic proposal photos with Adam Edmunds, reflecting on love, family, and moving forward after her late husband’s death
3 days ago
Katie Holmes remembered her ‘Dawson’s Creek’ co-star James Van Der Beek, praising his kindness, creativity, and the mark he left on fans and friends
4 days ago
The Marla Maples Foundation, linked to Marla Maples, Donald Trump’s ex-wife, donated $5,000, alongside Martin Blencowe and Fidji Simo
4 days ago
At the courthouse, Justin Baldoni was seen holding hands with his wife while Blake Lively’s husband, Ryan Reynolds, was not present
4 days ago
In his last Instagram post, Van Der Beek honored his daughter and father, reflecting on their bond and his gratitude for them
4 days ago
Reese Witherspoon offered prayers for James Van Der Beek's family, expressing hope that they are surrounded by love and support during this time
4 days ago