Don Bacon blasts White House for lack of 'moral clarity' on Ukraine peace deal
WASHINGTON, DC: Rep Don Bacon (R-Neb) broke ranks with the Trump administration, accusing the White House of lacking "moral clarity" in its approach to ending the war in Ukraine.
In a pointed interview on ABC’s 'This Week' on Sunday, November 30, Bacon criticized the administration’s negotiation strategy and labeled the initial 28-point peace proposal a "surrender document" that plays into Vladimir Putin's hands.
His comments come even as momentum for a deal builds, with Ukrainian officials signaling agreement on core terms following talks in Geneva.
Don Bacon warns of Vladimir Putin's 'vassal state' goal
Rep. Don Bacon says that he feels the White House is sending "mixed signals" on its stance about helping to end the Russia-Ukraine war: “I would like to see the president be a stronger advocate for the free country, the sovereign country of Ukraine.” https://t.co/R4gFyENqcQ pic.twitter.com/FrojyqhVLg
— This Week (@ThisWeekABC) November 30, 2025
"I would like to see the president be a stronger advocate for the free country, the sovereign country of Ukraine... and have a little more clear-eyed view of who Putin is," Bacon told ABC host Jonathan Karl.
The Congressman, who sits on the House Armed Services Committee, claimed that Putin is an "invader" and a "dictator" who has "murdered all of his opponents".
"He wants to control another third of Ukraine. He would like to make Ukraine a vassal state. So I don’t know why the administration keeps pursuing the pointless here," Bacon added, urging the White House to stop sending "mixed signals" and instead arm Kyiv to negotiate from strength.
GOP hawk calls initial plan a 'surrender document'
I disagree. They’re pushing a surrender plan on Ukraine and one that will keep Ukraine vulnerable to Russian attacks in the decades to come. It looks like Russia wrote it. https://t.co/4v3Ae7YBas
— Rep. Don Bacon 🇺🇸✈️🏍️⭐️🎖️ (@RepDonBacon) November 22, 2025
Bacon’s criticism focused heavily on the administration's original 28-point plan, which reportedly required Ukraine to cede territory and limit its military.
"They're pushing a surrender plan on Ukraine... It looks like Russia wrote it," Bacon previously wrote on social media, warning that such a deal would be President Trump's "legacy" if forced upon Kyiv.
However, the diplomatic landscape has shifted rapidly. A refined 19-point framework has since emerged, reportedly removing some of the most contentious demands.
Peace talks continue despite concerns
Despite the domestic criticism from hawks like Bacon, the Trump administration is pressing ahead. Ukrainian officials are currently in Florida to meet with Marco Rubio and Jared Kushner to finalize the terms of the deal.
European allies have also warmed to the revised plan, with European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen calling it a "starting point".
Even Zelenskyy has acknowledged a "constructive approach" from the US side, suggesting that the pragmatic reality of ending the war might be taking precedence in Kyiv.