Fact Check: Are Donald Trump and his family members ‘banned’ from attending Met Gala?

Donald and Melania Trump last attended the Met Gala in 2012, four years before his first term as president
Online rumors claimed Donald Trump and his family are ‘banned’ from Met Gala ever since his first presidency (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
Online rumors claimed Donald Trump and his family are ‘banned’ from Met Gala ever since his first presidency (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: The 2025 Met Gala will be taking place in New York City on Monday, May 5, and several big names from different fields will be attending the event. 

However, certain names will not be a part of the guest list. A rumor circulating online claims that President Donald Trump and his family will also miss the event as he has been banned from the Met Gala. But is there any truth to this? Let us find out below.

Claim: Trump and his family are 'banned' from Met Gala

Many videos on YouTube have claimed that President Trump has been banned from attending the Met Gala. 

A YouTube Shorts titled 'Donald Trump is BANNED from the Met Gala' claimed that Trump has been banned from attending the Met Gala by Vogue editor Anna Wintour due to their feud in the past.



 

Moreover, another video titled 'Celebrities banned from Met Gala' also featured Trump's name in the list.



 

Furthermore, some earlier posts on X also claimed about Trump's ban from Met Gala. 



 

A user wrote, "Donald Trump being the only person to be banned from the Met Gala is so laughable," while another added, "Well it’s Met Gala time in Hollywood, and former US President Donald Trump will not be attending one of the most prestigious events of the year."



 

True: Anna Wintour said in 2017 she would never invite Trump to Met Gala

During a 2017 episode of 'The Late Late Show with James Corden', host James Corden asked Anna Wintour which guest she would never invite back to the Met Gala.

Interestingly, Wintour said, "Donald Trump". Since then, both Trump and Melania have never appeared at the Met Gala event.



 

Trump attended the Met Gala alongside his wife for many years until their final appearance in 2012, four years before he was first elected as the president.

He was then banned from the event by Wintour soon after he took office, according to the Independent.

Interestingly, Ivanka Trump also hasn’t appeared on the Met Gala red carpet since 2016, a year before Wintour publicly stated she would not invite Trump back.

Who are the other celebs banned from Met Gala?

Apart from Trump, many other big names are not invited to the Met Gala event for some reasons. In 2016, 70-year-old former Parsons School of Design professor and TV personality Tim Gunn confirmed that he had been banned from the Met Gala after he commented about Wintour, and a feud started between the two.

He told E! News at the time, "It is very true. It is a crazy story, and as far as I’m concerned, it’s a very matter-of-fact story."

He added, "I was asked what is the most unforgettable thing I’ve ever seen in fashion and I said: 'It’s easy. It was watching Anna Wintour being carried down five flights of stairs by two bodyguards — two big hulking men — from a fashion show.' All hell broke loose. It was insane. We’ve had an open war ever since."

NEW YORK, NY - JANUARY 28:  Recording artist Zayn Malik attends the 60th Annual GRAMMY Awards at Mad
Zayn Malik attends the 60th Annual GRAMMY Awards at Madison Square Garden on January 28, 2018, in New York City (Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images)

Former One Direction member Zayn Malik attended the event just once in 2016 with his ex-girlfriend, Gigi Hadid, but later told GQ that it’s "not something I would go to."

He said, "I’d rather be sitting at my house doing something productive than dressing up in really expensive clothes and being photographed on a red carpet."

Some other famous names who have been outlawed from the Met Gala are Tina Fey, Lili Reinhart, Demi Lovato, Gwyneth Paltrow, Amy Schumer, and Rachel Zoe, per the Independent.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Donald Trump made the claim while campaigning for Darline Graham in South Carolina, offering no details about hospitals allegedly carrying out the procedures
15 minutes ago
Michael Wolff said Melania Trump had abandoned the traditional first lady role after making just 38 public appearances through July
4 hours ago
'She sacrificed, she didn't even sleep, she didn't even eat, and she got to one of the highest positions in the country', Amy Robbins said about Harp
5 hours ago
The lawsuit alleged TikTok let children under 13 create accounts without parental consent, collected their data, and failed to honor deletion requests
5 hours ago
In a letter, Natalie Harp told Trump, 'You are all that matters to me', then pushed back on her 'human printer' label
6 hours ago
Rashida Tlaib’s latest financial disclosure lists crypto-linked funds in her retirement accounts as Congress prepares for another digital-assets push
6 hours ago
Dan Driscoll has pushed the Army to improve living conditions for troops and modernize its equipment
7 hours ago
Mace's latest post targeting Omar comes after her push for a constitutional amendment on who can serve in Congress
8 hours ago
The decision comes days after a federal court issued a preliminary injunction blocking Trump’s 2026 executive order restricting mail voting
9 hours ago
A recovered archive showed Natalie Harp repeatedly defending Trump's election claims and praising his allies during the January 6 Capitol attack
9 hours ago