Fact Check: Did Joe Biden place a $25M reward on Nicolas Maduro during his tenure?

Democrats criticized Donald Trump’s Maduro capture but claimed Joe Biden had already set a $25 million bounty on Nicolas Maduro
PUBLISHED JAN 6, 2026
Democrats sharply criticized Donald Trump for ordering a military operation to seize Nicolas Maduro and his wife, while some argued Joe Biden had already approved a $25 million reward for Maduro (Getty Images)
Democrats sharply criticized Donald Trump for ordering a military operation to seize Nicolas Maduro and his wife, while some argued Joe Biden had already approved a $25 million reward for Maduro (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: Democrats blasted President Donald Trump for launching an aggressive military operation on Saturday, January 3, to capture President Nicolas Maduro and his wife.

But many claimed former Democratic President Joe Biden had already placed a $25 million bounty on Maduro’s head. 

NEW YORK, NY - JANUARY 5: Nicolas Maduro is seen in handcuffs after landing at a Manhattan helipad, escorted by heavily armed Federal agents as they make their way into an armored car en route to a Federal courthouse in Manhattan on January 5, 2026 in New York City. (Photo by XNY/Star Max/GC Images)
Nicolas Maduro is seen in handcuffs after landing at a Manhattan helipad, escorted by heavily armed Federal agents as they make their way into an armored car en route to a Federal courthouse in Manhattan on January 5, 2026, in New York City (XNY/Star Max/GC Images)

How the claim spread online

One of the loudest voices was former New York City Mayor Eric Adams, who slammed critics of Nicolas Maduro’s removal from power as “cynical and irresponsible.”

Adams made the comment in response to a post by former Democratic Vice President Kamala Harris, in which she said, “Trump’s actions in Venezuela do not make the US safer, stronger, or more affordable.”

“That Maduro is a brutal, illegitimate dictator does not change the fact that this action was both unlawful and unwise. We’ve seen this movie before. Wars for regime change or oil that are sold as strength but turn into chaos, and American families pay the price,” she declared.



Adams’ post quickly racked up millions of views and thousands of likes as of this writing. “You do not label someone a n*rco-dictator one year and then pretend he is no longer a threat the next simply because a different president is in office. That is cynical and irresponsible,” Adams said. The claim then spread further across X and Facebook.



Senator Katie Boyd Britt, a Republican from Alabama, also agreed with Adams’ assertion that the Biden–Harris administration had placed a $25 million bounty on Maduro.



Fact Check: Nicolas Maduro bounty predates Biden administration

The Biden administration did not originally place a bounty on Nicolas Maduro. However, it did increase an existing reward that had been established years earlier. 

Because the underlying bounty existed before Biden took office and was only raised during his administration, the claim is rated mostly true but not fully accurate. It is also worth noting that the US government’s standoff with Maduro dates back more than a decade.

On March 8, 2015, then-President Barack Obama signed Executive Order 13692, declaring a national emergency over the threat posed by Venezuela’s government to US national security. Maduro had been in office for two years at that point.

Former U.S. President Barack Obama speaks at a Democracy Forum event held by the Obama Foundation at the Javits Center on November 17, 2022 in New York City. The all day event featured speakers from a variety of backgrounds conversing on the state of global democracy and opportunities for the next generation of global leaders. (Photo by Spencer Platt/Getty Images)
Former President Barack Obama speaks at a Democracy Forum event held by the Obama Foundation at the Javits Center on November 17, 2022, in New York City (Spencer Platt/Getty Images)

Obama’s order targeted Venezuelan officials accused of anti-democratic actions, human rights violations, suppression of freedom of expression, and public corruption. Those sanctioned were barred from entering the United States.

In response to Obama’s move, Maduro asked Venezuela’s National Assembly to grant him the power to rule by decree, a request the legislature approved.

Both Trump and Biden exerted pressure

On March 26, 2020, the Trump administration announced indictments against Nicolas Maduro, accusing him of n*rco-t*rrorism, corruption, and d*ug trafficking.

That same day, the United States Department of State unveiled a $15 million reward for information related to Maduro. Separately, it offered $10 million for information leading to the capture of four other Venezuelan officials.

WASHINGTON, DC - JUNE 05: U.S. President Donald Trump shushes journalists before signing the Paychec
President Donald Trump shushes journalists before signing a document in the Rose Garden at the White House, June 05, 2020, in Washington, DC (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

By 2024, Venezuela held another presidential election during Biden administration. The opposition used “detailed and credible data” to conclude its candidate, Edmundo Gonzalez, likely won. Gonzalez later said members of Maduro’s entourage forced him to concede defeat in exchange for permission to seek asylum in Spain.

The Biden administration took further action following continued repression of political opponents. On January 10, 2025, the United States Department of the Treasury modified Barack Obama’s executive order to sanction eight Venezuelan government officials.

At the same time, the State Department increased the existing $15 million bounty to “$25 million each for information leading to the arrest and/or convictions of Maduro and Maduro’s named Minister of Interior, Justice, and Peace, Diosdado Cabello.” The administration also added a $15 million reward for information leading to the arrest or conviction of Defense Minister Vladimir Padrino.

WASHINGTON, DC - JANUARY 21: U.S. President Joe Biden signs an executive order during an event in th
Former President Joe Biden signs an executive order during an event in the State Dining Room of the White House, January 21, 202,1 in Washington, DC (Alex Wong/Getty Images)

Then, in August of last year, the Trump administration’s Departments of State and Justice announced they were increasing the reward for information leading to Maduro’s arrest or conviction to $50 million.

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

A 1999 video confirms Jackson introduced Trump, praising his efforts to engage and support underserved communities
16 hours ago
Social media rumors about Obama running in 2028 are false; the Constitution bars a third presidential term
18 hours ago
A viral clip claims Meyers foresaw a UFO disclosure as a distraction tied to renewed attention on Epstein-linked files
20 hours ago
Viral posts claim courts could force the president to remove the first lady despite her US citizenship status
21 hours ago
Viral posts allege newly released records tie DiCaprio to cannibalism and other shocking acts cited in Epstein-linked emails
21 hours ago
X users claimed Johnny Depp let Eric Dane live rent-free in his Los Angeles home to ease financial worries before his ALS death
1 day ago
After Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office, police searched Berkshire and Norfolk over Epstein links
1 day ago
The rumor emerged at a time when the White House is undergoing a major renovation project involving the construction of a new State Ballroom
1 day ago
Posts online allege the singer swore off future games following criticism tied to his halftime appearance
1 day ago
In a recent appearance on 'The Katie Miller Podcast', Nicki Minaj explained that Trump’s treatment in the media motivated her involvement in politics
1 day ago