General Caine confirms 'hundreds of ballistic missiles' stopped, signals 'gritty' fight ahead

General Caine confirmed that the operation involved aircraft, naval assets, and multiple service branches working in coordination with Israel
Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Caine said that the campaign was not a single-night strike and cautioned that additional US casualties were likely as operations continued (US Department of War)
Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Caine said that the campaign was not a single-night strike and cautioned that additional US casualties were likely as operations continued (US Department of War)


PENTAGON: General Dan Caine, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, delivered a somber assessment of the military offensive in Iran on Monday, March 2, informing reporters that the nation should prepare for a sustained and costly conflict.

The chairman confirmed that the American death toll had risen to four after a service member succumbed to injuries sustained during Iran's initial counter-attacks.

"This is not a single, overnight operation," General Caine stated at the Pentagon briefing. He emphasized that the objectives tasked to US Central Command (CENTCOM) would require "difficult and gritty work," and noted with grim transparency, "We expect to take additional losses."

Trump issued 'no abort' order for offensive



General Caine revealed that President Trump had personally issued the "go order" for 'Operation Epic Fury' on Friday at 3.38 pm ET.

The directive was communicated via the secretary of war with specific instructions: "Operation Epic Fury is approved. No aborts. Good luck."

The operation, which launched at 9.45 am local time on Saturday, was a massive joint effort involving the Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Space Force, and Coast Guard in cooperation with Israel.

Caine noted that the "flow of forces" would "continue today" as additional reinforcements were arriving in the theater.

Air superiority achieved through cyber and space



The chairman reported a significant tactical victory, stating that US and Israeli strikes had already resulted in "local air superiority."

This control of the skies was intended to better protect American personnel and allow for the continued degradation of enemy capabilities.

Caine further detailed that the military was utilizing "continuously layered effects" from cyber and space operations.

These advanced capabilities were being deployed to disrupt, disorient, and confuse Iranian forces as they attempted to respond to the ongoing bombardment.

Hundreds of ballistic missiles intercepted



In addition to offensive gains, US forces successfully neutralized a massive Iranian retaliation effort.

General Caine confirmed that American defenses had intercepted "hundreds of ballistic missiles" targeting the United States and its regional partners.

While these interceptions prevented further large-scale casualties, the chairman reiterated that the military’s work was far from over.

He maintained that the Joint Force was prepared to sustain the mission for as long as necessary to achieve the administration's strategic goals.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump acknowledged that no peace talks are underway with Tehran as the 60-day deadline for reaching a permanent ceasefire expired
4 hours ago
A Democratic senator’s jab at Trump’s close aide sparked a fierce White House response as fresh scrutiny surrounds Harp’s unusually prominent role
5 hours ago
Last month, Rubio escalated the administration’s fight against the ICC, calling it a State Department-led campaign to dismantle the court
5 hours ago
Sean Spicer says Trump’s next press secretary will likely need his trust, understand his communication style and already have a close relationship with him
6 hours ago
Judge Brian E Murphy rejected a bid to delay ending TPS for about 5,000 Ethiopians as their legal challenge continues
7 hours ago
A planned discussion on violent crime in Washington was abruptly pulled, adding fresh uncertainty around Trump ally Jeanine Pirro’s standing in DC
7 hours ago
Trump had criticized Pirro after her office dropped charges against former Olympian David Hearn, but she quickly appealed a judge’s decision to release Melissa Farris
8 hours ago
Trump has labeled the Strait of Hormuz 'new US territory,' escalating his fight with Iran over a waterway vital to global oil supplies
9 hours ago
Trump casts a mail-in ballot in Florida’s Republican primary while his administration pushes to restrict mail voting nationwide
11 hours ago
'The BBC is simply trying to distract away from their own obvious liability,' a spokesman for Trump's legal team said
19 hours ago