Ilhan Omar’s knowledge of $1B welfare scam in Minnesota district under scrutiny

Ilhan Omar held celebrations at a restaurant tied to the fraud, personally knew a now-convicted owner and had a staffer convicted of stealing millions
UPDATED DEC 5, 2025
US Rep Ilhan Omar has not been directly linked to the scandal, according to prosecutorial documents (Getty Images)
US Rep Ilhan Omar has not been directly linked to the scandal, according to prosecutorial documents (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: A​‍​‌‍​‍‌​‍​‌‍​‍‌ large-scale welfare fraud probe in Minnesota, reported to be as large as $1 billion in taxpayer funds, has led to the examination of the record of Rep Ilhan Omar by her detractors.

Although Omar hasn’t been indicted, some of the sentenced fraudsters who resided in or had their businesses running in her congressional district have created a buzz about the time and extent of her ​‍​‌‍​‍‌​‍​‌‍​‍‌knowledge.

Ilhan Omar introduced bill that led to $250 million in fraud

Omar​‍​‌‍​‍‌​‍​‌‍​‍‌ reportedly was the one who brought in the legislation that caused the $250 million fraud. However, she alleges that she did not know anything about it.



The Minnesota government, through various departments, gave out nearly $250 million to provide meals to schoolchildren during the pandemic from 2020 onwards.

The funds, however, ended up in the hands of business owners, including Salim Ahmed Said.

Safari Restaurant—co-owned by Mr Said—was the venue where Omar celebrated her 2018 congressional victory.

“[Rep Omar] knew who these people were. People she personally knew were making tens of millions of dollars in this program,” claimed Bill Glahn, a policy fellow with the Minnesota-based Center of the American Experiment, to The Post

Ilhan Omar, the far-left “Squad” congresswoman, has been eerily silent on the billion-dollar welfare fraud scheme that was centered in her Minnesota district (Ilhan Omar, Facebook)
Ilhan Omar, the far-left 'Squad' congresswoman, has been eerily silent on the billion-dollar welfare fraud scheme that was centered in her Minnesota district (Ilhan Omar, Facebook)

“She had been inside the [Safari] facility on numerous occasions and couldn’t put 2 and 2 together? Either she’s terminally naive, or knew and didn’t care,” Glahn added.

Salim Ahmed Said was found guilty in August of stealing over $12 million

Said was found guilty in August of stealing over $12 million for serving 3.9 million ‘phantom’ meals during the Covid-19 pandemic.



He blew much of the money on a $2 million Minneapolis mansion and a $9,000-a-month shopping habit at Nordstrom, according to prosecutors.

It​‍​‌‍​‍‌​‍​‌‍​‍‌ is pointed out by critics that Omar must have seen the signs of trouble much earlier, as she was interacting closely with the main characters and was instrumental in legislating that eased the supervision of the child-nutrition programs.

In the indictment documents, there is no direct connection established between Omar and the scandal. A spokesman for her office declined to comment to The Post.

The meals were funded through the 2020 MEALS Act that was sponsored by Omar and was approved by a bipartisan ​‍​‌‍​‍‌​‍​‌‍​‍‌committee.



Most of the money in Minneapolis was funneled through the now-defunct nonprofit Feeding Our Future.

U.S. Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) walks to the House chambers ahead of today's planned vote for Speaker of the House in the House of Representatives at the U.S. Capitol on October 17, 2023 in Washington, DC. The House has been without an elected leader since Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) was ousted from the speakership on October 4 in an move led by a small group of conservative members of his own party. (Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)
US Rep Ilhan Omar (D-MN) walks to the House chambers ahead of today's planned vote for Speaker of the House in the House of Representatives at the US Capitol on October 17, 2023 in Washington, DC (Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

It allowed both nonprofits and for-profit businesses to be reimbursed with taxpayer money for feeding kids by dramatically loosening oversight, waiving site inspections, and allowing bulk take-home food, with almost no verification.

In total, 78 people have so far been indicted over the fraud, which also includes bogus claims of providing shelter for homeless people and diagnosing non-autistic children as having the condition and claiming government money for their care.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Survey reveals bipartisan discontent, with Democrats leading on health care
2 hours ago
The National Museum of American History will display the Hervé Pierre design in its First Ladies Gallery, marking another addition to its archive
4 hours ago
This move comes after neither sample matched CODIS, the nationwide law enforcement DNA database
11 hours ago
Anna Gomez called CBS’s action 'corporate capitulation' and stressed the FCC cannot pressure broadcasters or suppress free speech
11 hours ago
President Donald Trump honored Rush Limbaugh and recalled his 2016 endorsement, saying the late host supported his campaign early on
12 hours ago
President Donald Trump congratulated Kid Rock as his cover of Cody Johnson’s '’Til You Can’t' topped Billboard’s Hot Christian Songs chart
13 hours ago
Enes Kanter Freedom said Eileen Gu chose China over the United States, accusing her of valuing endorsements over morals
13 hours ago
Bruce Springsteen invited all fans to his shows, urged a 'rock and rebellion' spring, and joined celebrities criticizing US law enforcement
14 hours ago
After receiving backlash for anti-Trump remarks, Amber Glenn limited social media, citing a 'scary amount of hate'
14 hours ago
President Donald Trump revived his Air Force One redesign in navy, red, and gold after former President Joe Biden scrapped it over costs
16 hours ago