Illinois Gov JB Pritzker blasts Trump's Chicago federal takeover threat: 'We don't play those games'

Donald Trump called Chicago a 'mess' and hinted that it might be the city his administration 'straightens out next'
PUBLISHED AUG 24, 2025
JB Pritzker accused Donald Trump of trying to 'create chaos' with his federal takeover threat (Getty Images)
JB Pritzker accused Donald Trump of trying to 'create chaos' with his federal takeover threat (Getty Images)

CHICAGO, ILLINOIS: Illinois Governor JB Pritzker has pushed back against President Donald Trump’s suggestion that Chicago could face a federal takeover to curb crime after Washington, DC.

Trump had hinted during a White House news conference that Chicago might be next to face National Guard deployment, drawing a strong rebuke from Pritzker and city officials.



 

Donald Trump says Chicago could be 'next one' after Washington, DC

During an Oval Office press conference on Friday, August 22, Donald Trump suggested his administration could step in to make Chicago safe, just as it has in Washington, DC, where nearly 2,000 National Guard troops were deployed despite local claims that crime has fallen.

“Chicago is a mess, you have an incompetent mayor, grossly incompetent, and we will straighten that one out next,” Trump said while criticizing Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson.



 

“That will be our next one after this, and it won’t even be tough,” the commander-in-chief added.

JB Pritzker accuses Trump of trying to 'create chaos'

JB Pritzker fired back online, saying Donald Trump’s remarks were meant to distract.

“As Donald Trump attempts to create chaos that distracts from his problems, we’ll call it out for what it is,” Pritzker wrote on X (formerly Twitter).

He accused Republicans of focusing on political theater while harming Americans.

MILWAUKEE, WISCONSIN - JUNE 08: Governor of Illinois JB Pritzker speaks during the WisDems 2024 State Convention on June 08, 2024 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. (Photo by Daniel Boczarski/Getty Images for The Democratic Party of Wisconsin)
Governor of Illinois JB Pritzker speaks during the WisDems 2024 State Convention on June 8, 2024, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin (Daniel Boczarski/Getty Images)

“Trump and Republicans are trying to distract from the pain they’re causing — from tariffs raising the prices of goods to stripping away healthcare and food from millions,” the Democrat further wrote.

The governor also said Trump was testing his power in cities across the country. “After using Los Angeles and Washington, DC as his testing ground for authoritarian overreach, Trump is now openly flirting with the idea of taking over other states and cities,” Pritzker added.

JB Pritzker calls Trump's threat a 'spectacle' and cites falling crime

JB Pritzker argued that Donald Trump’s aim was not safety but politics. "Trump’s goal is to incite fear in our communities and destabilize existing public safety efforts — all to create a justification to further abuse his power. He’s playing a game and creating a spectacle for the press to play along with,” he wrote.

President of the United States Donald Trump arrives at Huis ten Bosch Palace for a dinner during the NATO Summit 2025 on June 24, 2025 in The Hague, Netherlands. (Photo by Patrick van Katwijk/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump arrives at Huis ten Bosch Palace for a dinner during the NATO Summit 2025 on June 24, 2025, in The Hague, Netherlands (Patrick van Katwijk/Getty Images)

The 60-year-old said Illinois would not back down. “We don’t play those games. Our commitment to law and order is delivering results,” the governor stressed.

Citing statistics, he added, “Crime rates are improving. Homicides are down by more than 30 percent in Chicago in the last year alone.” 

Mayor Johnson also issued a statement, saying troops would “undermine” progress. "There are many things the federal government could do to help us reduce crime and violence in Chicago, but sending in the military is not one of them," Johnson stated. 

JB Pritzker slammed over response to Trump's threat

Soon after JB Pritzker pushed back against Donald Trump's threat to "straighten out" Chicago, the president's supporters rushed to criticize the Illinois governor and his leadership. 

“What is your plan? All you guys attack the president but you have nothing to offer,” asked one X user. Another pushed back against the governor, writing, “Lifelong Illinoisan. JB is the worst governor in my lifetime.”

Others criticized his leadership directly. A person wrote, “Stop campaigning for President and start working for Illinois,” while another added, “You have the option to fix it yourself.”

One more said, "Two things can be true at once. You’re also deflecting from actual problems here at home."



 



 



 



 



 

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump labeled Kamala Harris and Joe Biden as 'morons' while emphasizing that his 2020 election victory was crucial for the nation’s survival
19 minutes ago
Trump praises film’s box office run, claims packed theaters and strong repeat viewership nationwide
44 minutes ago
Donald Trump questions Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s grasp of global strategy, warning against discussing war plans publicly
56 minutes ago
Trump questions investigative tactics as authorities release new DNA and FBI updates in ongoing Tucson search
1 hour ago
Trump touts tariffs and domestic production gains during Georgia visit ahead of key special election
1 hour ago
Thames Valley Police say the man arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office has been released while inquiries continue
5 hours ago
President claims former president shared classified information after viral comments on aliens spark backlash and clarification
6 hours ago
The exchange was one of several unscripted moments in what was otherwise a wide-ranging speech
6 hours ago
Democratic members of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee said, 'No one connected to Jeffrey Epstein will escape accountability'
8 hours ago
Trump teased Marco Rubio over positive reviews at the Munich Security Conference, saying he might have to fire him if the praise continued
9 hours ago