Iran says US offered no concessions, demanded ‘only one nuclear facility’ in Trump-backed proposal
WASHINGTON, DC: The United States has reportedly presented a firm five-point proposal designed to dismantle Tehran’s weapons capabilities by allowing "only one nuclear facility" to remain operational.
However, Iranian state media has complained that the US offered no concessions, pushing back against the strict terms required to permanently end the conflict.
US demands single nuclear site in Iran deal
The latest diplomatic development has highlighted the significant gap between the two nations during negotiations to end the regional conflict.
Donald Trump said he would accept a 20-year suspension of the uranium enrichment at the heart of Iran’s nuclear program if Tehran gave a “real” guarantee.
But Iranian media claimed that the US had failed to make any concrete concessions in its latest response to Iran’s demands in negotiations to end the war.
According to Iran’s semi-official Fars News Agency, the US proposal sets definitive limits on Iran's infrastructure and finances.
The five conditions include the transfer of 400 kilograms of enriched uranium to the US and a refusal to pay any war reparations.
Furthermore, the US position blocks the release of "even 25% of Iran's frozen assets" and conditions a permanent halt to the war on all fronts on the final outcome of the talks.
Iran seeks sanctions relief in truce proposal
The strict conditions outlined by the US reportedly stand in contrast to the comprehensive truce plan submitted by Tehran.
In its proposal, Iran called for an end to the war on all fronts, including Israel’s conflict in Lebanon against the Iran-backed Hezbollah terror group. That conflict has technically been under a ceasefire for a month, though fighting has continued unabated.
Tehran’s framework focused on a total lifting of the economic and maritime restrictions imposed during the conflict.
Iran also demanded a halt to the US naval blockade on Iranian ports, which has been in place since April 13.
It also called for lifting all US sanctions and the release of Iranian assets frozen abroad under longstanding US sanctions, according to the Iranian foreign ministry during a press conference last week.
The Fars News Agency said the Iranian proposal emphasized that Tehran would continue to manage the Strait of Hormuz.
US-Iran nuclear talks stall over key demands
The current diplomatic impasse follows a period of direct military friction and trade disruptions in the region earlier this year.
While an indefinite truce was established to allow for diplomatic discussions, the core demands of both sides remain unaligned.
With the US maintaining its position on strict nuclear limits and asset freezes, and Tehran demanding reciprocal concessions and sanctions relief, the negotiations have reached a standstill.
Both sides remain firm on their respective conditions, leaving the path toward a permanent peace agreement unresolved.