Iran seeks to resume Trump talks after privately calling Strait of Hormuz attack a 'mistake': Report

Iran reportedly told President Donald Trump's advisers rogue hardliners were behind the ship attack and wanted negotiations to continue
Commercial vessels were seen transiting the Strait of Hormuz after reported back-channel diplomatic outreach (Amirhosein Khorgooi/ISNA via AP)
Commercial vessels were seen transiting the Strait of Hormuz after reported back-channel diplomatic outreach (Amirhosein Khorgooi/ISNA via AP)

WASHINGTON, DC: Iran privately told the Trump administration that it was not behind the attacks on commercial ships in the Strait of Hormuz.

Instead, Iranian officials reportedly said a rogue hardline group acted on its own in an attempt to disrupt ongoing negotiations. Senior US officials shared the information with CBS News reporter Jennifer Jacobs.

The reported back-channel admission comes amid heightened tensions between Washington and Tehran and suggests Iran may be trying to revive diplomatic talks even after the US struck Iranian military sites in response and President Donald Trump called off the ceasefire.

White House pushes Iran to publicly acknowledge Strait of Hormuz attack

Despite accepting Iran's private explanation, the White House is pressing Tehran to publicly acknowledge responsibility for the attacks, arguing the incidents constituted a clear breach of the memorandum of understanding (MOU) that had halted hostilities between the two countries following Operation Epic Fury earlier this year.



President Trump has nonetheless instructed his senior team to keep diplomatic channels open. Vice President JD Vance, senior adviser Jared Kushner, special envoy Steve Witkoff, and Secretary of State Marco Rubio have all been directed to press ahead with negotiations, which are expected to resume in Oman.

US officials also warned that Washington remains prepared to deploy both military force and economic pressure if Iran carries out further hostile actions.

Qatar coordinates with Washington to help restart Iran talks

Separately, Axios reporter Barak Ravid reported that Qatari officials traveled to Tehran in coordination with Washington to hold direct talks with Iranian leaders aimed at de-escalating the situation and creating conditions for a return to formal negotiations.

US Vice President JD Vance stands prior to a quadrilateral meeting between the United States, Iran, Pakistan and Qatar at the Burgenstock luxury hotel complex overlooking Lake Lucerne, Switzerland, Sunday June 21, 2026. (Fabrice Coffrini/Keystone via AP)
Vice President JD Vance attended a quadrilateral meeting involving the United States, Iran, Pakistan, and Qatar in Switzerland (Fabrice Coffrini/Keystone via AP)

"Qatari negotiators have travelled to Iran, in coordination with the US, to meet with Iranian officials in an effort to de-escalate the situation and create the conditions for negotiations to resume," Ravid wrote on X, citing a diplomat with knowledge of the visit.

"The diplomat said meetings in Tehran between Qatari and Iranian officials are still ongoing, 'but it's clear both sides want to come back to the MOU.'"

US and Iran seek a path back to the memorandum of understanding

The reported back-channel maneuvering suggests that despite the military exchanges of the past week, both Washington and Tehran are looking to step back from the brink rather than allow the situation to escalate into a broader conflict.

ZAGROS MOUNTAINS, IRAN, STRAIT OF HORMUZ - stock photo (Getty Images)
The Strait of Hormuz connected the Persian Gulf with the Gulf of Oman and remained a critical global shipping route (Getty Images)

The US and Iran reached the MOU in June, halting four months of fighting and outlining terms for reopening the Strait of Hormuz. The framework was widely viewed as the first step toward a broader diplomatic settlement, including restrictions on Iran's nuclear program.

The reported admission from Tehran that the ship attacks were carried out by a rogue element, if accepted by Washington, could provide both sides with a face-saving path back to negotiations without either government having to formally acknowledge that the ceasefire agreement has permanently collapsed.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Rosie O'Donnell repeatedly criticized Trump during her monologues, reviving a feud dating to her 2006-07 'The View' stint and his 2016 attacks
1 hour ago
Vance said earlier generations made his life possible, adding that Black, white, rich and poor Americans built the country together across generations
2 hours ago
Ken Paxton is facing a tight race against Democrat James Talarico, raising donor fears that Democrats could score a major win in the deep-red state
3 hours ago
National Cattlemen's Beef Association's CEO Colin Woodall warned that subsidized, below-market beef would not rebuild the US herd
3 hours ago
The Trump-aligned board voted in August 2026 to add inscriptions crediting him for renovations, prompting opponents to file emergency legal challenges
4 hours ago
A Maoist faction of the DSA rejected Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez as its 2028 standard-bearer, citing her stances on policing and Israel
5 hours ago
Officials told CNN that Harp stayed with Trump much of the day, joined meetings, advised him on posts, and served as a channel for foreign leaders
6 hours ago
Miller enlisted in 1939 and manned an anti-aircraft gun after helping his wounded commander at Pearl Harbor, later receiving the Navy Cross in 1942
7 hours ago
'I mean, first of all, he's almost 10 years older than I am. And with an illness... you kinda can't let your head go there', Jill Biden said
8 hours ago
JD Vance said the administration had relied on alternative routes, pipelines and other infrastructure to keep oil moving despite the disruption
15 hours ago